1994 Klipsch Lascala AL-3 proper Amp connections.

Hello, Just wondering if someone could verify that my 1994 Klipsch Lascalas with the AL-3 crossover are connected properly from my 2-channal Bryston 3B-ST? The Blue and Black Kimber Cable 8TC are used for speaker connection as seen in the pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the terminals on the left are only used if you remove the two red wires that connect the terminals on the left to the input terminals. this removal is done only if you want to bi-wire or bi-amp your speakers. if the red wires are not removed, nothing gets connected there.

Thanks for the repleys guys.Yes,the light Blue on the Kimber Kable is connected to the positive sides of the Bryston. I know it was a dumb question but the reason I asked it was it seems like maybe the tweeter might not be working. I have this set of 1994 Lascala's and purchased them about a month ago locally. They are in like new condition but I have just been able to set them up because I had to gather the rest of my system up to hear them,just purchased a Bryston 3B ST. Everything on the Bryston is set to stereo(not bridged or otherwise)but this is actually the first time I have heard Klipsch Lascala's my systems before. I must say something sounds a little sucked out. I have had Cornwalls last year and they sounded just fine to me. It seems when I put my ear up to the Lascala's tweeter it is very hard to hear that it is working. I tried covering up the midrange with a album cover and It doesnt seem like it functioning at all. This seems this way on both of them. The point I am trying to make is could it be that the tweeter sounds more noticable on the Cornwall than the Lascala because of the larger Mid-range maybe even with your ear right up to it? I know,most people would dig right into it and pull the sucker out and check to make sure but is there some way to check without having to pull the tweeter out like maybe disconnect the the wires from the terminals in front on the crossover for the squawker? Or is it that maybe I'am just not aquainted yet to the different sound of the Klipsch Lascala compared to the Cornwall?

this is actually the first time I have heard Klipsch Lascala's my systems before.

From what you say, this is also the first time you're listening to the Bryston...correct?

Although I would certainly not discount that something could be awry internally with the La Scalas, it's a rarity with later model cabs like yours (unless they've been tinkered with) and I'd exercise some reserve here.

In light of not having to dive into the speakers to investigate, there are some non-invasive techniques to try first.

Do you have the amp that you previously drove the Cornwalls with available? Hitch that back up and give it a go.

What's ahead of the Bryston right now? Is it a pre/pro? What's the source at this moment?

I also just took notice of something else in your pictures...

Would you be able to post better close-ups of your crossover polyswitch/resistor assemblies?

The polyswitch/resistor assemblies are the brown, horizontal tubular-looking devices located on the left-hand side of the boards (as viewed).

From your pictures, it's hard to tell if everything is attached correctly back there.

Yes, this is the first time hearing this particular Bryston 3B ST,just picked it up last week via Audiogon,seller was local. I actually have a pretty mid-fi Sony EP9ES Pre-Am Processor but just temporarily(had to find something to use since my amp arrived) till my Rogue Sixty Six Pre-Amp gets here this week. I have a also Mid-fi CD Player going Digital Coaxial out to the Sony. To tell you the truth I was kind of shocked how bad the sound was when I first hooked up everything. I auditioned another set of '81' Lascala's about 2 months ago and the guy just had a Denon receiver to give me a listen and they didnt sound like this. You would almost think that just the Mid-range was working. Could it be that because I have the solid state gear that the Lascala's just dont match up good? I have inserted a couple more pictures of the rear left side of the crossover,hope they help. Thanks for the replies guys,this board is the best and most helpful I have been on,just the concern about others in our hobby is great. Thanks again, Ken

Posted Image

Posted Image

On behalf of the forum, you're welcome Ken. [H]

Looking at those additional
pictures, I can see everything is okay. I see the polyswitches happen to
be soldered on the outboard sides of the wire wound resistors, making
them hard to see, but they are there. Good to go. [Y]

SS gear can match up just fine on La Scalas. I highly suspect
something upstream in the signal chain...most likely an errant setting in the processor.

First off, a couple questions about the Sony. Are you certain the surround field is turned off? Also, there's a ton of EQ flexibility built into this device, so unless you want to go through confirming all the individual settings, would you consider a performing a factory reset?

I asked if you had a CD player because that would allow you to use a free, downloaded test disc to help further diagnose your system.

That, and do you have a multimeter?

Thanks for your responses everyone. I am glad everything looks OK. Actually I have had to EQ the heck out of them I feel to make them listenable. I did reset all settings and made sure before EQing that I had tried it in total Flat mode or no effects at all.Seems to me that before EQing they sounded like two Boom Boxes were sitting atop each speaker with a little EQing. LOL. Thanks for the link to the Test CD. I do have a multi-meter actually,just knowing my way around it is another thing. Thanks,Ken

Ken,

Loosen each of the connections on the terminal strip and retighten. You should also be able to reach the connections to the mid drivers (K55) and tweeters (K77). Pull each connection off (one at a time) and re attach. Some deoxit on the conections woldn't hurt, either.

This will be minimal cost and help narrow down the problem. LaScalas aren't know for having no high end, and the tweeters are the same as the Cornwall. The bass won't seem as deep on the LS, but should be tighter, being horn loaded.

and welcome...

Bruce

As Bruce mentions lossening and retightening the driver wires for better connections, you can also disconnect the woofer and mid-range drivers and see if the tweeters are functioning by playing them alone at a low volume.

Old caps in teh network can also attenuate the tweeter significantly. If the tweeters are functioning and nothing upstream in the equipment is an issue, this woudl be something to definitely look at, recapping the networks.

Old caps in teh network can also attenuate the tweeter significantly. If the tweeters are functioning and nothing upstream in the equipment is an issue, this woudl be something to definitely look at, recapping the networks.

I'll mail $1 to Bob Crites if he can say he's ever replaced a no-kidding bad cap in a stock AL-3 network. Recall these are 94's. Mine are four years older and spec spot-on, I've also got a set of '84 HIPs that have lived life in the pro-audio circuit with HIE networks that use the same spec caps. They all checked in tolerance with ESR well below questionable levels. Klipsch didn't fart around when sourcing newer caps after the mid-80's, they are tough as nails.

Unless the tweeters are physically blown, which I also highly doubt but easy enough to check in-place with the multimeter, there's simply no reason to fuss over the speakers. That processor on the other hand...[^o)]

As far as EQ'ing the bass a bit....that's normal for La Scalas that are placed within 2-8 feet of each other as the bass bins will be fighting one another at least somewhere in that region, much less making up for the roll-off below 50Hz and any other canacellations from near-by walls.

These are all great replies. I can use all this great information and it should keep me busy for awhile I'am sure. Going to start with cleaning all the connections within reach,also been trying different room placements and I have pretty much settled on where they are now. I know that there is greatness just waiting to come out of the babies,I can feel and hear it,but there going to need my help and I will get there. Since these were my first Lascala's I was ready for the reduced bass output compared to my '81' Cornwalls but the lack of weight and openess thru me for a loop.

Update! Started to clean connections and decided to pull both tweeters(Duh!)and low and behold! Both of them are not working!!! Called a local speaker repair shop(Midwest Speaker,Roseville,MN.) and they do have the parts to repair them. Took them out there and they confirmed what I already knew, not working. He also stated that they are usually pretty tough to blow and warned that a Cap might also be out. Left the tweeters with him and went home to check the leads that go to the tweeters(hooked them up to a small set of desktop speakers and they are both still outputting signal. Whew! Might the Cap still be weak from the blowout or if its working then its OK? How could I check the leads with a Multi-Meter? What am I looking for as far as a number? Midrange seems to be functioning fine as well as the Woofer.Now if you imagine your tweeters not working in your speakers what would expect them to sound like? The reason I ask is to see if your descriptions match what I heard from my Lascala's. Maybe to confirm things. Man,you guys know your stuff and this is a good place to be! I will have to Pay It Forward!

can only imagine what type of signal it took to blow those tweeters.

The tweets actually are not very high power handling ........the crossover exposes too much low band material to the tweeter band at the crossover slope rate. to reduce this exposure, simply move the connection as indicated. The change allows the hi pass circut to operated with a duplexed band pass partner.

post-22082-13819735080664_thumb.png

post-22082-13819765777156_thumb.png

post-22082-13819792699754_thumb.png

simply move the connection as indicated.

*edit* There's a shift in the network Q associated with that move though...

Just saying, our HIP's have the same drivers, with an even lower order tweeter roll-off in the HIE network. Dunno about your's, but mine have been to hell and back a few times and they're still kick'n. The OP's must have suffered through an amp or component failure ( a major transient ) upstream somehow or outright misuse in order to kill both tweeters like that. What are the odds?? At this point I'd heed the advice of Midwest and give the crossovers a thorough checkout.

Two things.

First, the easiest way to isolate the tweeter is to stick a sock or rag in the squaker.

Second, not just any tweeter will work in the tweeter horn. Bob Crites sells the best replacement diaghragms, and he also sells complete tweeters which are substantial upgrades to the stock ones. Send your speaker repair guy here: http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html