ummm, what do i get?! need good speakers bad

tpg

Do you have a receiver yet ? If floorstanders are your goal , then I would look into the rf3II's ( same price as the rb5's with a little more output). If you don't have a receiver yet, this would be my next purchase as speakers with nothing to drive them is a waste. Btw, rf3II's and the rb5's are so efficient that 50 - 60 watts will be more than enough for most people. 64 watts + rf3II's = 116 db ! with ease ! There are lots of good receiver's on the market, just try and get one that will grow with your system IE> component switching if your next tv will require it, s-video if you will need it, etc. A dvd player will double as a cd player for music if you don't already have one. Lots of good models out there, again. Next, the matching center rc3II. What good is 5.1 if you don't have other speakers! Lastly, I would purchase the rear's rs3II's. FYI my system ...... 1 pair rf3II's 1 sc.5 (loaner, waiting for rc3II) 1 pair ss.5's (not put up yet, considering rs3II's) 1 marantz sr 4200 receiver 1 toshiba sd 2700 dvd player 1 sharp 25" mts stereo tv 1 sharp vcr -- don't remember model # 1 jbl arc8 subwoofer (needs upgrade bad!)

Why not just pick up a good used pair of Heresys on eBay to start out with? You can get them for anywhere between 250-400 bucks a pair on eBay...and they will suit you just fine until you have room for more/larger speakers...then you can throw them in the rear for the surrounds!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

If you want new, check out www.acousticsounddesign.com and www.sounddistributors.com. Not authorized dealers, so just be aware.

For the money, you can't go wrong with good used Klipsch Heritage (or quasi-Heritage) speakers. For the dollar spent, they will cream anything you can buy new for the same price.

Look for Klipsch Quartet, Forte I or Forte II, Chorus I or Chorus II, or Heresy's. I have Chorus I's -- 178 pounds of unabashed sound producing machinery. (http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=85) Take out your bed and sleep on a cot to make room for them!

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-31-2002 at 05:41 PM

The only problem with buying speakers online from an unauthorized vendor is that klipsch will not honour the warranty. NOTE: I have heard of some online vendors that will warranty the speakers they sell but cannot confirm. Don't know. Stick to a reputable dealer or try to find used. Buy items slowly, over a period of time. Also, as hdbr builder pointed out, the heritage series would also be good.... but.. in a small room, you want to keep the small amount of space that you have. Reference series ... high output.. small footprint. Not that there is anything wrong with bigger speakers, but we all can't have our cake and eat it too. The only thing is to shop, shop, shop. Used is fine if you can audition it, but I would caution beginners to buy without listening! BUYER BEWARE ! Also, the prices quoted are wish list. I have never purchased anything at wish list pricing.

The first time your dad hears Heresys, his thoughts of Bose will be history....the earlier Heresys went down to below 50Hz...don't look for Heresy II models...just the plain Heresys...the Heresy II's they are coming back out with have different drivers than the previous Heresy II's...and they are rated differently. Bose 901's WILL NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO HERESYS....trust me on that!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

MLSTRASS... Wow! Very cool indead, but I believe that the original intent was a ht in a small room. I applaud the abundace of opinions and I think that they are all great... Btw, tresspasser_guy, how old are you ? What is your maximum budget, I know that you are in school and unemployed but you still have to set a budget. The idea of used is great, as you upgrade, you can use them for other purposes. The synergy is good bang for the buck and the reference is pretty good. Why don't you read some reviews ? Try www.audioreview.com as they are good sources for info on all products. In the end, you are the only one making the choice. Remember, the better you are informed, the better purchase decisions you can make. See what others have paid and the average price for used equipment. If reference speakers are your ultimate goal, then by all means go for them. Whether it means that you have to get a part time job at mcdonalds to afford them, then so be it. NOTHING, I repeat nothing is more satisfying than working toward a goal and accomplishing it yourself. While your friends are out drinking, smoking etc, you can be working up to your goal. Just think of it this way --- how much money does an average, pack a day smoker spend in a year ? Add it up, the findings may surprise you. You will actually have something for the money spent instead of pissing it down the drain... NOTE : this is in no way meant to infuriate smokers, this is just an opinion.

tg, no i'd keep it in the family. w/ any of these ?s it's really personal prefs that are in play. should be

able to fing heresy II to audition (hopefully).

i have heritage, reference & legends, but if i were starting over again & had the space & $, i'd get all heritage w/ khorns for mains. great idea for lower budget to start w/ heresy or cornwalls. then grow from there w/ a great sub, etc. just me though.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I haven't heard them, but I see no reason why not. If you don't like the match, then you can use them for a two-channel stereo or such. I can't stress this enough LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY as people selling used will never tell you that a tweeter is fried etc. they usually just want your money. That's my opinion. HDBR builder - buying off e-bay is okay but some people are not knowledgable enough to replace any damaged components, let alone test them properly. In no way am I trying to run down the purchase of older used speakers, this is a great idea to get high quality cheaply, as speakers tend to depreciate over time, except some like klipsch hold their value much better than others.

trespasser_guy

A small request - This is not a flame!. Would you consider using Capital letters and conventional punctuation in your post - Please ?

I understand that not using capitalisation and essentially ignoring punctuation - is culturally correct amongst the younger set these days -asitshows arejectionofoldfartadherencetorulesofgrammarandhideboundattitudesaboutproperwriting.nonethelesssomeofusoldfartshaveahellofatimereadingtextthatdoesnotconformtosomedegreeatleastwitht hesentencestructurethatweareaccustomedto.

AKA aside I do not know better than you about most things - I only know what I can read without effort.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 05-31-2002 at 09:12 PM

Michael

"Sleep on a cot, I like that idea... just suck's when your girlfriend comes over..."

Shake Your Head Boy!! Then the only question is _ Who's On Top!!

SLAP_SLAP Ouch!! My wife sneaked in while I was typing!

This message has been edited by lynnm on 05-31-2002 at 08:42 PM