Emotiva XPA-7

kde

Is there any news about whether Emotiva will release a XPA-7 amp? For rack purposes I don't want to have two separate amps to get the 7 channels. Currently have the UMC and UPA7. This is sufficient, but always thinking it would be fun to have more power...

A gentleman from emotiva mentioned it to me when I bought my xpa-5 but no date and if I recall something like 1600. Was gonna be the price. Which is more than I payed for my xpa-2 and xpa-5. So I wasn't biting. But I understand not wanting two amps.

A gentleman from emotiva mentioned it to me when I bought my xpa-5 but no date and if I recall something like 1600. Was gonna be the price. Which is more than I payed for my xpa-2 and xpa-5. So I wasn't biting. But I understand not wanting two amps.

That's seems way too high. I heard them talking about an XPR-7 awhile back that probably would have been in that price range but I can't see them charging almost double the price of an XPA-5 for two extra channels.

The XPA-7 is in the works as Dan Laufman, President of Emotiva, has already been verified. When it debuts is another question. The XPR-5 is most likely what you are recalling, and will be in that price range, not exactly sure yet. Dan Laufman did verify that the XPR-5 and UPA-200(two brand new power amplifiers) are on the water, so to speak, and will be up on the main Emotiva site shortly. The main difference between the XPA and XPR is the amplifier class and transformer size. The XPA series is class AB, while the XPR series is class H. Dan has also stated that the XPR power amplifers will be their top of line power amplifier, with the R in XPR referring to "reference". From top to bottom, XPR then XPA then UPA.

I'd probably get the xmc before looking at the xpr series amps, uncertain if the klipsch would make much of any benefit with the xpr over xpa aside from class differences, although 2 xpa1s for stereo might be a good idea [6]

make sure to do a side by side with the xpr5 and xpa5 for us

There are no plans at present for an XPA-700, however we are working on an new XPA-7, as has been previously noted elsewhere.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Dan

I guess there is a xpa-7 coming and they are saying its going to be 1ru bigger than a xpa5

The class G/H amps are supposed to be more efficent and should use less energy. It will be interesting to see how audiophiles veiw the new amps SQ. Much like the introduction of class D amps, which were viewed as good subwoofer amp. The class D and D3 are now main stream and have excellent SQ for stereo or HT use. These class H amps will pack quite a bit more power. Can't wait to hear some user reviews.

I'd probably get the xmc before looking at the xpr series amps

Oh I'm one of the first on the list for the XMC if they honor their claim to sell us "the UMC owners on the pre-order list" our units first. I have my discount card ready!

There was an original XMC-1 pre-order list quite a while back that was closed not too long after. If you were a part of that list, you should have received an e-mail verifying as such, and according to Dan Laufman, those on that list will have the first chance at purchasing an XMC-1 when it does debut. Another XMC-1 pre-order list opened up towards the beginning of this year, and is still up on the Emotiva home site. Just because one has a discount card, doesn't necessarily mean you are at the front of the line, it just means you will get 40% off when your turn comes up. If you were on the original list, then you are in luck. If you want more clarification, then listen to the PodCast's that they have on their site, or links are also on the Emotiva Lounge Forum.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=updates&action=display&thread=24390

The class G/H amps are supposed to be more efficent and should use less energy. It will be interesting to see how audiophiles veiw the new amps SQ. Much like the introduction of class D amps, which were viewed as good subwoofer amp. The class D and D3 are now main stream and have excellent SQ for stereo or HT use. These class H amps will pack quite a bit more power. Can't wait to hear some user reviews.

Emotiva has had Class H power amplfiers in the past, namely the MPS-1, MPS-2 and IPS-1, so this is not their first foray into the Class H realm.

What is the life expectancy of an amp? How long are they expected to last before having problems? 10 years? 20 years? Does connecting them to a Furman power conditioner improve the lifespan?

Likely varies with build quality and design architecture, but I have had an amp for 30 years and has been left On 24 hours a day for the past 10 years or so. Now that's longevity akin to Heritage speakers!