Great Answer to 2-way 3-way Debate

willland

or you can do 1-Way (full range) with some 901's.

That's ain't Heresy, it's Blasphemy!! LOL.

Yes, get 9 midrange speakers, 8 of them facing the wrong way, give the box a low tune and EQ the crap out of them. Then have the sales people brag about how much power they can absorb, with their 1 ohm voice coils in series. Then spend 50% of the profits on more marketing for Air Travelers about headphones that don't work.

Getting into speakers that have no crossovers is even more ideal in my opinion, which is what I did by getting active speakers (qsc kw-122's)

There is still a crossover at play, it's just in a different position in the chain.
Oops, didn't see that this thread had so many replies. My apologies, I worded my post poorly, I was referring to the qsc's absence of passive crossover and utilization of active crossover.

• 2 weeks later...

What about 4-way.........and subs? See MCM-4 Grand.Indifferent

Mark,

What you didn't say is that you are:

• probably using active crossovers which allow you to accurately and fully correct for time delays in the crossover regions (...and relative to your sitting or standing position for the midrange-tweeter crossover, which is usually critical to within 1/2 inch or less) and,
  • you have controlled directivity all the way from ~400 Hz on up (including the ability to keep speaker cabinet relections/refractions at a minimum), and,
  • you are using horns that keep early reflections from nearly walls and furniture from seriously affecting imaging, and,
  • the directivity of your crossing drivers at their crossover frequencies are basically matched to minimize lobing/diffraction issues.

The problem with typical (simple) explanations of full-range vs. 2-way vs. 3-way, etc. is that it usually depends on a few factors in coordination. When you add in FM distortion at hf and AM distortion at lf, then look at what is happening in the room (room dimensions, speaker placement, etc.), then I think that some of the conversations begin to become really useful.

...my $0.02... [:|]

Chris