Further modifications of the KLF-20 Speakers

After following Moray James and SET 12's advice on improving the crossover network, improving the cabinet damping, and installing Bob Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms, and Klipsch K-53 Titanium mid range diaphragms, I wondered can these speakers be further improved. The answer is Yes!. I sent the diaphragms (in the original shipping boxes) and the crossover networks with internal speaker wire to Cryogenics Intenational, Scottsdale, Arizona. The cost is $9.00 a pound with a $75.00 minimum charge. They treat parts on Fridays and return them on Tuesday. The improvement was substantial and well worth the money. Imaging is improved, detail is increased, the sound is less fatiguing, and more musical emotion is felt. I think this is a great upgrade at very little cost.

David Pritchard

This sort of "change" is what makes double blind testing so fun to watch. People are absolutely certain of massive changes, right up to the point where they only have audio information instead of sight etc. to tell them which is which.

I have be envolved with cryo since the late 1980's and have seen a good number of situations where people who were either not expecting changes or those who refused to believe there would be any difference be quite surprised when they were exposed to what it does. I am not looking to debate cryo just saying I have some hands on with it and wonder if you have had any exposure to it yourself? Best regards Moray James.

I have be envolved with cryo since the late 1980's and have seen a good number of situations where people who were either not expecting changes or those who refused to believe there would be any difference be quite surprised when they were exposed to what it does. I am not looking to debate cryo just saying I have some hands on with it and wonder if you have had any exposure to it yourself? Best regards Moray James.

I don't think I have tested anything personally, at least specifically related to cryo treatment, and I am not looking to debate cryo either, just a reliable methodology for assessing changes in audio.

I was also of the opinion at one time that favorable responses from people who did not expect results showed merit, but its not really a factor. Until the test is just about sound, with subject and presenter unaware of what is being listened to, bias dominates. I am not totally against people spending their money for a good feeling instead of audio improvement, but for me things actually have to sound better for me to pay for them.

but for me things actually have to sound better for me to pay for them.

I would agree with your last statment. Reading your letter though it would seem to me that what you were trying to say is that for you things actually have to measure better for you to pay for them. That's ok too, you can pay to look at the measurements and I can pay to listen to the music and enjoy the good feeling it gives me. Best regards Moray James.

I like to see a sweep, maybe an energy plot, but only to the extent that I don't want to be fooled by something obvious like JBL presence, or a setup mistake like reversed polarity or even a bad driver. Still on my list of things to do with my Forte's is to listen to each driver up close with some very low level noise, and do a polarity test since my speaker wire didn't have any marking for it.

The test for, "is it good", is pure listening. The test for is it better needs a touch more caution, not just blind testing, but plenty of extended how does it make me feel type listening.

I've had the experience of trying something new and thinking its great, but realizing after a month I wasn't listening to music as much, or getting the kind of mental restoration I wanted from that listening. At that point I don't care how good or bad it is, its not working for me.