SVS PB 12-Ultra/2

davis419b

I have had this sub for about 18 months with no issues other than not knowing how to tune it. I always leave it on in the stand/by mode . The other night when I came home from work and opened the door it was just roaring away. I dont know how it got a signal to turn itself on. I have no idea how long that day it had been doing this but I just turned it off. Last night when I tried to watch a movie it seemed fine at first and then it started the constnat roar again. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with it

I was in a chat with a rep at SVS this morning and he said also to remove the cable while it was roaring and if it stopped it was my a/vr. I was watching Tron for about 20 minute with no roar and the doorbell rang. I muted the volume and went outside to talk and when I came back in it was roaring with no volume to the a/vr. I unhooked the cable and the roar stopped.The odd thing is that with no cable connected and I turn on the sub it stays in stand by mode but when I turn the sub off , hook the cable back up and turn the sub on again it goes green and the a/vr is off. It never did that before.

Thinking maybe it was the cable I tried something else. I use one cable for my a/vr and I unhook it and use 2 cables from a second set of preouts on my 2-channel preamp for 2-channel listening. I turned the sub off and hooked it up to my preamp then turned the sub back on and it still went green. Before it never went green until the preamp was turned on. Confusing !!

When going to 2-channel they are totally different cables.

I didn't understand that. Is there more than one cable going to the sub?

When I am doing H/T there is on 1 cable coming from the sub out on the a/vr .When I am doing 2-channel I unhook the cable from the a/vr and use L/R cables from second set of preouts on my 2-channel preamp. These are 2 completely seperate systems using the same front speakers.

So you have an RCA cable from your AVR and speaker level connectors from your 2 channel rig all hooked up to the sub amp simultaneously?

No, Both are never hooked up at the same time ! I use the same sub for both systems but only connected to 1 at a time.

Got it, thanks. So you have the occasional roar with the RCA and you have instant signal indicator now when the speaker wires are hooked up correct? 2 different issues with 2 different sources. Seems like it's not the source. Have you tried leaving the sub for extended periods on with neither input connected to see if it acts up? That would narrow it down to the amp, wall socket or power cord. Is the sub plugged directly into the wall? Have you changed or added any electronic devices in the house prior to having sub problems?

I never had the roar before the other day when I got home from work and while opening the door I could hear the roar. I have not tried it with the 2-channel rig yet but I am going to try it later today. I just turned the sub on with no cables hooked to it will leave it on for a while and see what happens. It stays in stand by mode when no cables are hooked up and I turn the sub on. The strange part is when I hook up either sources cables while they are turned off the green ligjht on the sub comes on like it is seeing a signal . It never did that before. The sub is plugged into a Monster HTS 3600 along with all my 2-challed gear. The H/T gear is plugged ito a different circut altogether. Nothing has been adding to any of my systems for quite awile !

I turned the sub on with no cables hooked for 2 hours and nothing ever happened. I am thinkimg something is wrong with the amp in the sub. I decided to plug the sub into a wall socket that was not being used by anything and no cables hooked to it. When I turned it on it stayed in the standby mode. I turned it off and pluuged one cable into and the other end just laying there not plugged into anything. I turned it back on and it went green instantly. I then turned it off and unplugged the cable and turned it back on and it stayed green. I had to leave it off for 30 minutes before it would stay red in stand by mode. For some strange reason any cable plugged in wakes the sub up ! WIERD !

It very well could be the amp then.

I was going to suggest plugging the power cord directly into the wall but I couldn't see your surge protector being the issue. Typically though, sub manufacturers want to have their units plugged directly into the wall due to their draw. Many surge protectors won't flow enough current when the sub and other HT devices are all plugged together in the same unit.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get this issue fixed? Does your avr have hdmi? While its roaring have you tried resyncing the signal by switching sources or by turning it off and then back on to see if the roar stops? I know occasionally my Harman receiver will have trouble syncing or will lose hdmi sync for a quick second and when it re syncs the audio isnt always synced correctly I guess so I get a staticy/roar type sound from my speakers until I switch inputs and switch back. (like from blu ray to cable and then back to blu ray.) But that rarely happens....It could be the amp but I don't think so. If it were the amp then I feel like it would roar after a set time no matter what. Like after a warm up period or something. As far as the light thing goes I'm surprised it didn't power on before when you plugged in the cable. All of my klipsch subs (i have 4) do that. And yes they are 2 different models. But if I have the sub in standby if I plug in a cable....even with the avr off it powers on....i figured it was just the auto on electronics being really sensitive since its monitoring for any change on the inputs....plugging in or removing a cable causes a slight change....even if its only for a millisecond....Nonetheless let us know how the sub worked with the 2 channel rig.