Need advice on subwoofer drivers for DIY

tigerwoodKhorns

Glad to help.

You realize that you'll be building a sub that has WAY WAY more output than your mains, correct? The only reason I could imagine building that sub in your scenario is if you're eventually going to go to larger mains and you want to "future proof" your system.

Well, it fits and you will never know that it even exists. I have one of those big "coves" designed for a fireplace and big screen TV's in the late 90'. You know, where there is a pop out on the exterior of the house. It extends two feet deep from the interior wall and is somethign like 9 feet wide. I am adding a hearth "bench" that will extend out another 15" or so. So we are talking about almost 40" of unused depth. Only problem is that there is a load bearing post running up the middle of the existing wall cutout between the fireplace and the tv cove.

The subwoofer will be under my fireplace and cabinets/tv and almost two feet behind the hearth's ledge. Unused space. I will have to turn it way down, but yes, might as well do it now. I want to build storage for my albums in front of the subwoofer.

Right now, the plan is to have completely separate 2 channel and HT systems. I already have the two channel system and do not want to change a thing. The built in surround speakers will be part of the architectural elements in the room, so they will really blend in and not be noticed either. I am going to design the hook ups for the in wall sepakers so that I can bypass the in walls, and plug large speakers into binding posts located near the floor if I ever want to go that route. If you are going to engineer something, it needs to be overengineered. [:$]

I could not find a chart on the output and efficiency of the "little 12" version" of the THT. Anyoen here know?

Is there an advantage to the tapped horn over the THT other than an easier build?

It looks like the Tuba HT is a tried and well tested design.

I have done some reading on the tapped horn and apparently it does load the back of the driver (that is what bugged me, it looked like the driver was not being properly loaded).

Actually, this is what I was first looking at on Volvotrenter's site over the weekend.