a subwoofer for Heresy I

Vito

Greetings,

I have a couple of Heresy I with serials HWO 92T278 and HWO 93U301 (can anyone tell me what does it mean?), bought in 1981. Since then they are powered by a Denon PMA 950, with 80 A class watts per channel.

Now I'm planning to add them a subwoofer, to improve their basses expecially for digital records.

I've seen a Celestion sub (S8 model), with 100 watts and a frequency crossover from 80 to 150 hz and an output regulator. My doubt is: can this sub sound fine with Heresy I? The fact that sub has a normal autoamplification could make a differece with Heresy's A class amplification? I'm interested to Celestion on account of its price (about $ 230). In case this shouldn't work, what sub could I buy?

Please, help me.

Thanks to everyone

Vito,

You will want a good subwoofer to go with your Heresies. The Heresies' "quickness" and high output will require a pretty good sub to both match output and to blend in so it sounds similar. I'm not aware of what is for sale in Italy, so i can't recommend a particular subwoofer.

Have you been watching the Giro? Stai zito e pedala! Smile.gif

John

IMHO, the Rel Strata III did not compliment all my Klipschorns could do... so I tried dual SVS Ultras with a 1000 watt Samson pro amp and what it is like to not only get to "first bass"... but how to score off a double (sub). -HornED

Perhaps you will want something small, like an 8 or 10 inch sub which, theoretically, can be tight and fast, to keep up with the sealed driver on the Heresy's.

I had a small Kenwood SW303 8 inch 100 watts sub before changing to my actual KSW12, next step for me is SVS.

By the way, I don't believe in the "fast bass" theories, but Im writing this because you never know... ;-)

I currently have the JBL 4638 but previously had a Klipsch KSW-12 to complement my Heresys. I thought the klipsch sounded great at any but the highest volumes. Good luck!

Dan

------------------

Danartdis system

HK AVR 500

Heresy mains

Heresy rears

Academy center

JBL 4638"sub"woofer

PE 250 watt sub amp

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I was oriented to buy SVS 2039 pci but shipping charge is almost half price of sub. I live in Italy.

Moreover, in my country there aren't dealers of main sub productors but Velodyne (not properly cheap) and B&W or Klipsch (even if, in this case, only K models are sold).

I'm not well convinced about ASW650 by B&W, which I found at a price of 850 (almost the same in US$).

Did anyone experience ASW650?

Thanks.

Vito