Tower as center? RC-62ii not matching well with RF-82 (iv)

thexad

I'm looking to upgrade my center, I have an RC-62ii and I find that it doesnt match very well with the RF-82's (iv). I find that the 62ii was a little bit of an upgrade from the RC-52(iv). The dialog was a bit better, but the RC-62ii still felt like it was missing the clearity (or maybe harness) that the older models had. For glass breaking or any higher pitched sounds, the RC-62ii is very soft (too soft). Then for the lower frequencies it feels like it is hollow (no punch to it), that was the reason for upgrading from the RC-52 to begin with. The only way I found that the RC-62ii would keep up to the RF-82/RB-5ii was if the RC-62ii had my RF-52s added to the main channel for that extra kick (also a side note, the RC-62ii doesnt have the biamp capabillity .sadface. )

So my options are: (limited due to budget so RC-64ii is out of the question (also don't want the softness of the 'ii' series)

1. Add a second center channel in addition to the RC-62ii (older models RC-35/3/ii). (comb filtering issues?)

2. Change out or add a RF-62 (iv) as center - Cheapest option $299 new :) (do they have the same tweeter as the RF82?)

3. Add a Center RF-82(iv) Most expensive/ hard to find :( (issue of the TV/projector screen being mounted too high, 8' ceiling and no room to build a false wall with a AT screen)

Here is my setup:

RF-82s-Fronts RB-5iis- Heights/2nd Fronts RS-3iis-Surrounds RF-15s-Surrounds RF-52s-Rears RSW-10 and Sub-12 for sub duty. Powered by: Rotel 990bx 200w (front) Adcom GFA-5006 (175w for Center) (50w RS-3iis and 50w for RF-15) Adcom GFA-545 (100w for RF-52s) with Marantz 5004 as the preamp.

Is the center in a cabinet? Above or below the TV and how far from the TV. Sometimes decreasing the main speakers channel level 2 db will make dialogue stand out more. If it sounds ok with DVD or BD, then it may just be a problem with the integration with cable or satellite TV which is common. Are the speakers set to large or small. I have better results setting everything to small and letting the sub take care of the bass. I do not think bi-wiring or bi-amping a center channel will make a huge difference for dialogue. Placing the center in a cabinet will add increase volume and bass from the speaker. This can or cannot be a good thing.

The centre is out in the open, on a stand, under the screen. I have played around with levelling , audyssey eq w/mic, and a SPL meter. I still can't get it matched right.. It still sounds off... The x-over is set to 60hz or 80hz, and set to small... (i have tried large) but still nothing close to the others. I have tried multiple sources/ media. (the Bi-amp feature of the older models was a nice touch, its just a peeve to take a feature away on a newer model).

I was at the local store today and tried doing a/b comparisons with RF-82 and 62's. I only noticed a little less lower end bass with the 62's, but everything else sounded really close. I think I'll end up going with the RF-62 as a centre channel, unless there are any huge reasons not to switch.

I had the RF-82s iv and the RC62 iv (with RS52s and RB61s) and the front stage was seamless and perfect . . . Never had an issue, though, at times, wish I had gone with the RC64 when I upgraded. But I can't imagine the RC64IIs is a grossly audible timbre mismatch for your RF82s . . . Must be the placement of your center or a wrong setting in your processor . . . Or something physically suspect with your center . . . Hopefully others will chime in . . . Any members near you who might bring their RC62 over for a listen hooked up to your system? Rather than adding a second RC62 center, why not sell your RC62ii center, add the money together and get one great used original RC64 center?

I had the RF-82s iv and the RC62 iv (with RS52s and RB61s) and the front stage was seamless and perfect . . . Never had an issue, though, at times, wish I had gone with the RC64 when I upgraded. But I can't imagine the RC64IIs is a grossly audible timbre mismatch for your RF82s . . . Must be the placement of your center or a wrong setting in your processor . . . Or something physically suspect with your center . . . Hopefully others will chime in . . . Any members near you who might bring their RC62 over for a listen hooked up to your system? Rather than adding a second RC62 center, why not sell your RC62ii center, add the money together and get one great used original RC64 center?

I am also suspecting a problem with the speaker and think there would not be that big of a timber mismatch. The processor may also be a factor in integration of the speaker with the system. The other question I have is how are you running 2 sets of front height speaker with a 7.1 avr: maybe this has something to do with how the processor is working. Try swapping a RB 54 as a center and see if you get the same result.

You must remember that the rc-62 has 2 6" woofers and the rf-82 has 2 8" woofers, not to mention you obviously have two fronts so essentially you have 4 8" woofers. I know these two speakers are what is recomended but you MIGHT feel the center being drowned out by the fronts. I had the same setup, and i was happy, but i could see were you might be coming from.

I had my center as large and it sounded much better. You might also want to level much your center up a bit and fronts down a bit. I would not worry so much about the spl meter but what sounds best to YOUR ear. Everybody is different and you might just desire more from your center than others, which is more than fine. I have two heresy's [:P]

I would save, even if for months, sell your rc-62 and get a rc-64. In todays market your looking at a few hundred bucks more you will spend. I beleive the rc-64 will blow you away and there really is no upgrading from there...

Good luck. Hope i helped.

Alex

I Just got a reply from Klipsch about timbre matching the Rf-82 (iv) and the RC-62 (ii) series. They said that the (iv) and the (ii) series are not a timbre match. They where also saying that the RF-62 and RF-82's will be a timbre match.

"It is still the 1” titanium tweeter, but there is a type of magnet used on the II.

Different crossover points were used in the II’s as well, meaning the tweeter will play a bit lower than the previous models."

Just so everyone knows, I'm not trying to bash the new RC-62ii so I think it is a great speaker. Just not the speaker for my application. I also don't think there is anything physically wrong with it or my amps/processor. I just think the reworking of the new 'ii' series has taken on a different sound, one that isn't the same as the older (iv) series.

I would love to get a RC-64, but the shipping and hassle for getting one across the boarder is a pain. It was hard enough to find a RC-62ii that someone could get in. The cheapest I can find a RC-64ii for is $1300-1500, more then I am willing to spend. Also I would not want to spend that money on a RC-64ii, (although better than a 62ii) to have a 'different' sound to it aswell.

I think my best option is a RF-62 (iv), as Klipsch suggested; "Yes, the RF-62 would timbre match the RF-82's you currently have." I also think that it being a tower, I may loose a small amount of wide angle sound in comparison to a tweeter from a center? Although the impact of a tower I think would be harder to beat with its lower extention 38hz vs 57hz. I tend to like a lower crossover when it comes to a center channel anyway.

Try this first . . . Position the center pointing up at ear level when seated . . . just listen to 3 channels . . . tune with differing volumes on the rf82s and rc62 II until it is balanced to your ear. Then Listen . . . Then check spl. If this does not work, try to borrow someone's RC62 to listen n your setup. . . Your center may have a problem . . . I would try that before going through all the expense of trading and swapping.

Where are you located........there is a SINGLE rf 82 for sale in Tampa Florida

Tampa is a little far... (I'm in Canada)

Well after mixing and moving around different speakers, I decided to pull the plug on the Rc-62ii and go for the RF-62 as my centre. WOW! what a difference! The tweeters are now matched across the front three. Vocals, and dialog move seamless across the front sound stage. Even trying speakers on 'Large' with the subwoofers off, the RF-62's keeps up with the RF-82's, and pack a sold punch. Unlike the lack of punch that was there with the RC-62ii. My Wife notices the difference and likes the new addition. Towers are definitely the way to go. If you can't do towers, at least have three identical bookshelves across the front.

Posted Image