what would you do?

phishken

My choices are upgrade my tv from a 27" pos, to a 47" Widescreen Panasonic.

Or my other option is finish up my audio. This would mean upgrading my pos stereo reciever to a Denon and getting my rears and sub. I have the SC-1 and SF-1s already.

Either way its going to cost about the same amount of money. Everything will be bought over the next few months anyway. This weekend I have the $$ to finish up the audio, or finish up the video.

What would YOU do?

ken

Hi there,

Man, what a tough choice. All I can tell you is how I did it. I purchased the TV after I had a passible audio system. I had a Yamaha receiver and two sets of JMLab speakers with a Paradyme centre and sub. Then I bought my 57" W.S. Sony set. I've had that for about 8 months. I just recently traded in my Yam receiver for a Denon 5803 and a full set of r7's. It is a very tough choice. Better picture or better sound first. I say if you can live with your present audio, go for the new set. If however, you can live with the smaller picture, then blow the wad on the audio. Just make sure you get what you want the first time. I've spent billions, (Seems like it sometimes) on A/V gear in the last 30 years trying to get gear I was happy with. I am finally there with my current HT system.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RC-3

Sub RSW-15

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800 (Soon to be Denon 9000)

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

Dafishguy,

I love your setup (I wish I had that much money to spend). I too have R*-7 setup, but with a Denon 3802 (plan to upgrade), no sub (yet), and no rear center (yet).

I'm curious, what Paradigm sub did you have before you switched over? The Paradigm PW2200's and Servo 15's are very well respected subs on this board and are sometimes mentioned before the RSW subs. Since I'm in the market for sub(s), I was leaning toward Paradigm. 2 Servo 15's cost about as much as an RSW-15, and from what I understand are much cleaner. What didn't you like about JMLab and Paradigm?

-PB

I'd finish up the audio first as the new TV models will be coming out soon and prices will drop on the old/current models. That's the only reason I haven't picked up a Toshiba 65" yet.

When will you have the rest of the money to complete your HT?

Besides if you sit 1' away from the 27" it will look MUCH bigger cwm27.gif

Hi there,

I liked the Paradyme and JMLab setup just fine. It just didn't have the bottom end or tightness when turned up real loud on DTS concerts and such. I don't have that problem anymore. Im not sure what model Paradyme sub I have. I might hook it up as a rear just to see what difference it makes to the system. I really don't need anymore bass with my RSW-15 sub. But it might be interesting to hook one up at the back. We'll see. Someday, I hope everyone can afford their dream systems. To tell you the truth, I can't afford what I have but you only live once, right?

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RC-3

Sub RSW-15

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800 (Soon to be Denon 9000)

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

Dafishguy said:

Someday, I hope everyone can afford their dream systems. To tell you the truth, I can't afford what I have but you only live once, right?

LOL! Believe me I am in the same boat with you there buddy cwm27.gif! I would imagine that m00n would also agree! Like you said, we only live once, right?

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

for me its 70% movies and 30% music. So of course I would say buy the big screen. When I bought my 55 inch mitsu, It was the best upgrade I ever did to my system.

Although If your going to upgrade to a widescreen I would browse good guys for a while and find an open boxed 50 or 55". Going from a 47 to a 55 is a HUGE difference!

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Mitsubishi 55" HD widescreen tv

Toshiba pro scan DVD audio player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver

SVS 20/39 subwoofer w/Samsom S1000 amp

This message has been edited by montigue on 06-05-2002 at 10:11 PM

I watch at least twice as many movies as I listen to music for half-hour periods.

But I'd still upgrade the audio first.

1-TVs are going to get better and cheaper in the short run, esp. widescreen ones.

2-It would give me time to look around, as the Panasonic model isn't the best I've seen up to now (we sell it). You could even look at front projectors...

3-I just like the feeling of great audio better than great video, as it is a physical sensation that can be felt, unlike video.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 06-05-2002 at 10:27 PM

Oh hell ya... You must whip out that plastic. Go for it man. I was fortunite enough to be able to pay mostly with cash. And if I had more room on my plastic, I would be getting my front view projector. Have you considered a projector? There are some good ones out there that are not too expensive these days? There is a Panasonic AE100 that is getting very good reviews along with some not so good reviews at www.avsforum.com

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Thanks for all the replies guys. Lots of things to consider.

Im starting to think audio might be the way to go. I listen to alot of concert dvds and would like to get into the audio 5.1 discs too Smile.gif Which ever I buy the other part will follow within 2 months.

Im in an appartment and dont have space for a projector. I'd also prefer a physical tv. I am somewhat on a budget, modest but it will rock my little world. My home theater will consist of:

47" Panny

Denon or HK reciever $500 range.

SF-1s (have)

SS-1s

SC-1 (have)

Sub. $400 range. im considering the Synergy 10".

Im open to suggestions on recievers and subwoofers.

great forum. thanks dudes.

Ken