To IMAX or not to IMAX? That is the question...

Youthman

• Moderators

In honor of William Shakespeare, "To IMAX or not to IMAX...that is the question. Whether tis noble in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes".....ok that's all I was able to recite in High School (I failed that oral recitation). LOL

I'm taking my son to see The Dark Knight Rises this weekend. I've never seen a movie in IMAX format. Is it worth the extra expense? A LONG time ago, I did go to MOSI (Museum of Science Industry) and saw an IMAX show about nature. Was pretty cool. Just not sure how that be with a movie like Dark Knight Rises. Just curious your thoughts.

Guest srobak

There are about 60 minutes of footage that was shot with IMAX cameras - and fill the entire screen. I saw it at the IMAX in Indy a few days ago, and it is indeed worth it. Get as close to the center as possible.

It is more than worth it if you are seeing a movie like TDKR. The sound quality is quite good in my opinion, and the volume seems to be much more variable. There is a bigger difference in volume between the quieter scenes and the louder ones. Just make sure you get there early enough to get a seat in the middle. I did notice if you sit towards the back corners, the imaging suffers a little bit, not to mention you would be pretty much sitting right under the surround speaker. And the screen is so big, your neck will be sore for a few days if you sit towards the front. If you have never gone before, I think you picked a damn good movie to see for the first time.

The only thing I didn't like, and I am pretty sure it wasn't the speakers, but there were a few times where I was struggling to understand what Bane was saying.

I don't think I would ever see anything that wasn't a high budget action flick there though. So far, seen Avatar and The Dark Knight there, and both times were incredible.

• Moderators

It would probably depend on which Imax you go to, if I remember correctly from reading here they were not all great ?

We went to the Imax in new Orleans with the kids a few years ago and was not terribly impressed with the picture or sound. But to be fair the movie was about whales and was not one of the "main" shows, it was included as part of the aquarium next door, even the previews for other shows did not look or sound any better, hopefully it has been improved ? But It was a Imax theater.

My local IMAX theater is powered by klipsch .......I don't know much about the cinema line but each surround bears the klipsch logo and they are pretty damn big. With that said the first movie we saw there was avatar.....ever since I have been hooked for ANY action flicks. The sound is insane, and they play at a much louder db than non IMAX room. The price here is 18 per ticket but well worth it for someone that cares about sound....and the picture is very clear compared to other rooms in same theater. My girlfriend is hooked on IMAX now as well, we were going to go see it last weekend but the Colorado shooting kind of altered our plans. Thoughts and prayers go out to all the people affected

IMAX theaters do vary though as stated.....the one I originally saw avatar was in my hometown providence rhode island and it is a stadium style seating. Your feet are higher than the persons head in the row in front of you. The screen was six stories tall and you reserved you assigned seating when buying your ticket. ...............the one here in fort Myers fl is still great but not a " full size " IMAX. .......I believe the only Full size IMAX in fl is the regal point 21 in Orlando

Guest srobak

I don't think I would ever see anything that wasn't a high budget action flick there though. So far, seen Avatar and The Dark Knight there, and both times were incredible.

Back in the late 90's the Indy IMAX started showing old blockbuster reruns at the IMAX when they weren't getting huge turnouts for old IMAX documentaries. This is back before the recent craze of filming blockbusters in/with/for IMAX in mind. The first one I saw was The Hunt For Red October on 70mm film. It was simply awesome. Shortly after came Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Titanic and the first re-release of the Holy Trilogy. Afterwards they kept bringing them in and I kept on going - it was great. Eventually it turned into the rage of showing current releases that is going on now which is awesome too. Though it is too bad - cause I miss seeing those old movies in there.

The IMAX at Navy Pier in Chicago blows. Better to drive to the one in Batavia. As mentioned above - the Indy IMAX downtown is awesome - probably the best one I have been to. The one in downtown Seattle is really good also.

• Moderators

Well, my son had 3 friends with us last night so we decided to not go to the IMAX. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again, this time in IMAX either by myself or just me and my son. $18 a pop adds up when he starts bringing his friends along. LOL

TDKR was a great movie. Loved the story line, surprises and of course, great action.

. I would love to check out the one in Florida with the Klipsch cinema speakers. I wonder which models they have.

Come on down.....the $18 to get in will be nothing compared to your cost of getting to south Florida lol...........you might just end up staying........my coworker relocated here from Flint

I saw The Dark Knight at the MOSI dome theatre in Tampa. It was so big inside it actually triggered my fear of heights.

That place is ridiculous!

Come on down.....the $18 to get in will be nothing compared to your cost of getting to south Florida lol...........you might just end up staying........my coworker relocated here from Flint

Flint definitely is not a nice place to be. If I moved to Florida though, I would have to sell my beloved snowmobiles and that just would not do.

Guest srobak

That's an Omnimax dome in Tampa - I remember going to the one in Indy - which was unfortunately closed. Saw some great flicks on there - but they were all made specifically for an Omni dome screen. While the new Batman was filmed partially in IMAX format - I can't imagine that actually working out too well on a dome screen. ???

Whether it is worth it may depend on what is the alternative.

I saw TDKR at a Chicago AMC cineplex. The sound was not that impressive; at high levels the sound was loud mush. I too had some problems with dialog.

WMcD

That's an Omnimax dome in Tampa - I remember going to the one in Indy - which was unfortunately closed. Saw some great flicks on there - but they were all made specifically for an Omni dome screen. While the new Batman was filmed partially in IMAX format - I can't imagine that actually working out too well on a dome screen. ???

Yeah, The Dark Knight was a little oblong in that theatre. I was told to sit close to the cement bunker that housed the projector in the upper part of the theatre. It was four rows from the top which was, I think 4 stories of theatre seating, at like a 30 degree angle. I have a healthy fear of heights and it was not comfortable..... AT ALL!!! My hands were sweating the whole time, with a death grip on my seat. It was also not dark inside because there was no way of getting around that place in the dark of a normal theatre. ...........It was really cool walking by the dinosaurs on the way in!!!!!! Thats a theatre entrance....