I'm in the learning process

I just wanted you all to know that if I sound like I don't know anything, it's cause I don't know much. I am very interested in learning all that I can so the posts on this board have been very helpful. I am grateful to all of you for helping out even though you didn't realize you were helping. Any ideas on how to learn it all overnight? confused.gif

------------------

The token female for the Klipsch Fan Club Tour 2001

Well mystery guest, I would say keep in mind the last live concert you attended. With that memory, use that as a reference when you are evaluating a system, in particular loudspeakers. Whatever comes closest in your mind to the real thing is something that might work for you.

When I first heard the kHorns, I knew I found audio nirvana. It's lifelike presentation is the best I've heard.

To learn more about audio, get yerself a subscription to Sound & Vision, and when it seems they start to repeat themselves, also get one to Stereophile. And if that doesn't put you to sleep, go buy F. Alton Everests' book on acoustics. And listen, listen, listen.

-Disco Ruby

Mystery Guest, is your husband into music?If so you might try asking him questions and listen to him very carefully and treat him like a god from audio heaven.Try cooking good meals for him several times a day and do

not bother him when he is messing with his manly stereo set-up.Dust his manly electronic

goods regularly and wax his truck when he does not expect it.Do other things for him(you know what I mean).He will slowly educate

you in the world of Klipschdom and hopefully one day you will be as brilliant a speciman as he is.

Keith

BTW,tell Steve I need to borrow $100.00 biggrin.gif

I stongly recommend Listener magazine:

Eastern Bee Publications

36 Chestnut Street

Oneonta NY 13820, USA

Circulation Dept: (607) 433-0808

though they may have moved since that data was accurate. Very down to earth and very much more accessable than others. Others I buy every month, roughly in order of desperation if I can't find them:

Stereophile

The Absolute Sound

Hi Fi News (aka HiFi News and Record Review)

Ultimate Audio

The Inner Ear Report

The Audiophile Voice (more recording than system oriented)

Also check out:

www.stereophile.com

www.enjoythemusic.com

www.theaudiorevolution.com

Sound & Vision (which used to be Stereo Review) is very multi-channel / A/V oriented, tends to focus more on mass market than "audiophile" products, and I've found it to be frustratingly anti-high-end in the past, though that seems to be changing. For example, they are VERY much in the DVD-Audio camp, to the virtual exclusion of Super Audio CD, while most other magazines have been following SACD heavily while waiting for DVD-A to appear.

There's a couple of books by Robery Harley (you can find them on Amazon) that a lot of people recommend as a good starting point, though I'm not that much of a fan of them myself... just like a lot of people swear by the "xxx for dummies" series, but I've always found them more confusing than helpful...

And if you can, try to attend a classical concert. Many pop and jazz concerts are still miked and go through a chain of audio equipment.....

Meaning, it's not truely real or live as many may say, as you're still listening to the hifi of the concert hall! wink.gif

Having said that, Klipsch spiks IMHO, are among the best deals you can get in audio today. I've never come across a spik that doesn't blow a big hole in your wallet, and at the same time, is capable of reproducing life-like dynamics.(Other spiks need $$$ megawatt amps to do the job).

One more online magazine you all seemed left out,

www.soundstage.com

Cheers!

The Distant One

I have attended the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra (in the past month) and I've seen OZZY 4 times at 5th row (my aunt works for riverport ya know!). The symphony is a very natural but low volume sound. I have no problem with the way my system reproduces the silky sound of a violin or the soft touch of the flute. But rock-n-roll is recorded with mics and distortion so it is relatively easy to take on the KLIPSCH. Meaning it sounds great. I find that when judging speakers most fall short. Go to someone's house (that doesn't have KLIPSCH) turn all there bass and treble back to 0 and see how shallow it sounds. KLIPSCH gives music that depth that only a live performance can. The sound as if they are singing in the room. Voices sound rich and full of life. Heres another thing I love...DETAIL. You can actually here them moving a tad bit or breathing, now that gives it a true sense as if they are there with you. Love IT.

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings DPonder,

Try listening to another orchestra, such as the New York Philharmonic, or the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Watch out particularly for works that demand 100+ players.

If that is not practical, try going to your local records store and get a copy of Bernstein's Digital remake Mahler Symphony no.5 published by Deutsche Grammophon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G9F/qid=985355283/sr=1-4/ref=sc_m_5/102-3710691-3212943

Listen to the opening of the 1st track. when the brass starts playing, up volume until you're reasonably satisfied that the brass player is right in front of you..... and wait..... hehehe.