Cornwall E???

I got the chance of buying a pair of Cornwall E type, I've checked all the posts here on the forum but couldn't find any info on this issue. Any of you knowledgeable gentlefolks know what the E stands for? The guy offering his CW's claims they're about 25 years old (and he put them on WHEELS: good idea??)Would appreciate any comment!

E-type?...never heard of them...and I was building them 25 years ago, too!!

Wheels? I guess if you intend to move em around alot it is ok. But they perform better without the wheels, sitting right on the floor!!

Send pics and I will tell you what type they are.

If I was betting, I might say the label says they are C-EL, or C-EO....meaning "Cornwall, EBONY veneered, Laquered/or Oiled"!! If they are actually ebony-veneered, then they are VERY RARE!!! And if the veneer is in great shape, they should be absolutely beautiful!!

Good luck on the purchase!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Thanks for your fast reply! I can't believe I'm actually being answered by a Klipsch builder!! I just added some pictures, hopefully they're visible for a diagnosis! As far as I can tell the E has something to do with the type of veneer.

Well, that is certainly not ebony veneer. My guess is that the E in Cornawall E stands for European model. I do know that some models were built specifically for the European market. I think the difference between the European and North American models is just in little things like labels and connectors.

Those aren't E- models...those are CBR(also sometimes called CDBR) or CBL(also sometimes called CDBL)...birch plywood models...I think the "B" hand-written on the label Looks like an "E", maybe. They surely aren't the rare ebony-veneered ones!!

There was no difference in the ones shipped to Europe and the ones sold elsewhere...all were the same...I outta know...I was building them!!

The changeover to that style of Birch plywood cabinet from the flush-front model occurred in very early 1978...prior to that the birch models were all flush-front cabinets, not inset front, or as we called em back then, "drop-in front" models!! The proper logo on the grille cloth panel will be a small copper plated rectangular one with black lettering...with logo on left side in square and word Klipsch to the right of it on the metal logo plate.

I probably built these...as you face the REAR of the speaker cabinet, look on the upper left rear edge of the left side...my initial code should be stamped into the edge there...either an "A" or an "AB"...it may be faint...and the sander code should be stamped into the same area just above or below that...lots of the gals back in the sanding room sanded Cornwalls..so I have no idea what that code will be...but if you see an "A" stamped into that edge...it is me!! Mine was the only code in the company with an "A" in it while I worked there from 76-83!

Looks like on the label it says Cornwall B in its printed part...means birch plywood...those labels weren't used for very long due to the confusion they created...the company went back to just hand-labeling a label for them with the model and finish type, instead of printing up labels with that on them!!

It is obvious that the original screw-type speaker wire connectors have been replaced with newer connectors too!

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-06-2002 at 01:09 PM

Malcolm,

If they built any European-specific models, it happened after I left the company in September of 1983.

All of the wire terminals on the backs of all the "heritage" line of speakers had the same screw-type connectors for bare wires until I left there...and nothing else would make any difference on where the speaker went. I do know that the KG series had different terminals though...and shortly after I left they changed the terminals on the other speakers...but I believe that occurred with the Heresy II and the Cornwall II...they were in the process of preparation to change over to drop-into-the-front components on those models when I left there...but it was awhile after I left before that ever actually happened for the production models.

The only thing that may make any difference might be a label with European copyrights/patents involved.

I am sure that once the powered sub-woofers and such came along, the company had to produce European-specific models since outside of the USA, the standard electricity vaires from place to place...cycles vary between 50-60, and some areas have only 220/240 and others 110/120 volts...just like any other audio equipment made for the "world market"...but when I worked there...nothing special was done for any market...was no need either...nothing was powered and you can strip to a bare wire for a screw-type terminal anywhere...no big deal!

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-06-2002 at 06:11 PM