Marcia Ball

JJkizak

I saw Ms. Ball at J&J's Blues Bar in Fort Worth in the late 80s after seeing a portion of a televised performance on Austin City Limits from the 70s with her appearance. While I wouldn't say that her breadth of repertoire is very great, i.e., basically New Orleans-style piano blues and boogie in the style of Professor Longhair, etc., I will say that she does entertain a crowd.

She waltzed into the venue with a fairly lavish evening dress and some kind of stole in exceptionally high heels and strolled over to the stage/piano--at about 6 feet 5 inches in height (in costume). My guess is that she is at least 6 feet tall. After a short setup time, she launched into one of her standards with her crossed leg swinging quite seductively to the beat and proceeded to get everyone's attention immediately. I think that the term is "Amazon with a flair". It was very enjoyable evening, and I don't go to smoky bars.

She also appeared on Clint Eastwood's contribution to "The Blues" series that was broadcast on PBS a number of years ago, the episode is called simply "Piano Blues" and it is the most amazing episode in the set (IMHO), starting out with Ray Charles visiting Clint in a recording studio, playing/talking while sharing the piano bench. (For those that don't know, Eastwood is a jazz pianist in his own right.) Marcia played with Eastwood sharing the piano bench solo. It's charming. Eastwood and Marcia looked each other at eye level while sitting...

I recommend that DVD highly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Blues_(film).

One of her better known compositions:

Chris