RCA connectors for custom interconnects: any recommendations?

Daddy Dee

Ran across some bulk Audioquest Copperhead cable and am thinking about making some ICs. There are tons of RCA connectors out there from cheapo to boutique stuff. What I'm hoping for is something of value and good looks. Anything close to OEM? Any recommendations appreciated.

post-11993-13819740769998_thumb.jpg

post-11993-13819771415454_thumb.jpg

post-11993-13819798634188_thumb.jpg

I have used GLS ends on all of my wires (using Mogami mic cable). I made them up about 8 years ago and not one has chiped, flaked or failed in any way. They feel nice, have a nice finish and are all metal construction. Quite a bargain at about $2 each.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=AHH_RCA

I just lookd at the website. I used the non-locking ones. If any feel loose on the RCA, just gently squeeze with pliers (wrap in a cloth) and they will hold indefinately. Nice and firm and no problems in close to a decade.

Hello Dee,

I use Neutrik connectors for all my home/pro gear. The NF2C-B/2 phono connectors are nice because they connect the signal ground before the hot when plugging in and disconnect the hot before the ground when unplugging--just the opposite of the conventional RCA connector. Sure saves speaker cones if you are a "hot patcher" like me! The connector comes with two sizes of strain reliefs and can handle cable up to 0.29" diameter. A strain relief for fat cables is also available.

As for cable, I use Clark Wire & Cable RS22G2. It's easy to strip and comes in a dual-pair configuration in multiple color combinations. I'm not sure what the minimum order is but I usually order 100' which lasts me several years.

http://www.clarkwire.com/cableRS22G2.htm

Lee

but the mogami mic cable is definitely up on my radar screen

That's what I used. (fits perfectly inside those Profi's) I wired my room with Mogami so that I have the option to put stuff in the electronics rack OR, I can put amps or something near the speakers on the other side of room.

I cut the lenghts down to fit the wall and had a bunch of trash lengths...and almost threw them away. (I'm so frigging stupid at times)

Then my light bulb went off and I realized I could make them into some custom length IC's, 2' up to almost 10'. Bought the Profi's above and soldered away replacing all my RCA lines as well as the XLR lines.

To think that I had them all bundled up in my hand, ready to throw away... [:(]

Here is what I used:

Mogami 2534 Mic Cable:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/Mogami/W2534/5602

The GLS ends that I posted above from US Speaker

And Mogami 3103 speaker wire:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/Mogami/W3103/5639

I found some inexpensive banana plug ends on ebay. I threw away the outer sleeve that screws on and soldered and heat shrinked the ends. They came out very nice.

post-10861-13819741071218_thumb.jpg

post-10861-13819771711308_thumb.jpg

post-10861-13819798941114_thumb.jpg

Those do look good. What particular heat shrink material have you used? Where to purchase?

My toolbox??? I dunno. I think I bought a few variety packages at Harbor Freight and some of the bigger stuff from Parts Express. I had ordered a bunch of rather large heat shrink for parts express years ago to make up a wire harness to mount a power supply outside of a tunrtable. Looks much beter than electrical tape.

On the big part of the cable I just used a piece of heat shrink. On the banana plugs I put a layer of heat shrink (black and red accordingly) to make the wire thicker and then layered more heat shrink over the end of the wire and banana plug. I have made a few sets of these. If you go with layers of heat shrink nea the ends, when you are done the wire has a really nice firm feel to it. Very professional finish.

Because of my room layout, I have one speaker wire that is almost 40 feet long, the Mogami works well because it is thick and lays down nicely (very straight, does not coil up at all) so it looks good in the room.

I'm getting ready to become a good looking cable making machine

At the suggestion of Doc Who, I bought one of these

http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=7

Came in handy as a third hand. Now that I look closer at it, I bought the base with the suction cup bottom, not the bolt down bottom.

Coytee,

Thanks for the link. That looks like it would be genuinely helpful.

I've been trying to imagine the little alligator clip helping hands being really useful.

As my late father would have said about the panavise, "it's as cute as a monkey's a$$: neat, but not gawdy!"