Subs for a frat house. Ideas?

mustang guy

I gave a pair of my LaScalas (the beat to hell ones) and a spare Crown XLS202 to my son's frat house. I told them if they tear them up somebody would die. [:P]

Right now they have an el-cheapo 12" parts-express 150 watt sub paired up with them. At very low volume levels I am sure it works fine, but when the volume goes up, those LaScalas are going to rapidly climb away from the little thing. I need some ideas... A frat house is gonna want to crank up the volume, so it needs to be something that can sound good from zero to 100% of what the LaScalas can do, and they would be used 100% for music... For my purposes, I want something very durable (or disposable) because they are going to be roughed up. They don't have tons of space, so I'm not sure a horn sub would be the best thing.

Behringer has some 18's I can get for cheap, and I figure 2 would do. The problem is they are made cheaply as demonstrated by how many of them have crushed bottom corners at the port slots. I recon I could laminate a sheet of plywood to the bottom to add structure, but if that part is weak, I feel the rest of the speaker would be too.

I have thought about a table tuba, and they are strong. I would put edge and corner protectors on it. One of them would be a little weak with a pair of LaScalas. Defi nitely don't need a THT.

Ideas?

SPUDs - about $250 each in materials and the frat house will be rocking down to 17 Hz or lower. Output is flat into halfspace. They are pretty indestructable being that they are horn-loaded, and the cut/buid is easier than Tuba designs. All you need is something like a plate amp or an Xti-1000 to drive one (strapped, an XTi-1000 is 1 KW output, and you get built-in EQ/delay/crossover filters. They go for less than $200 used on ebay.

Just my $0.02

Chris

pair of kp-480's. designed to mate with the LaScala. btw, if you have k-33's in them now...I would move fast to get them out. k-33's can only handle 25 watts at 40hz, k-43's can handled 50watts at 40hz.

The Electro-voice and KP subs would indeed do the trick. The problem is that they are obscure and I fear a bit pricey for a bunch of poor college kids. I can build a SPUD. I know there are leaked plans from Danley out there. Has anybody made modifications or improvements on those originals? I think the Danley model was updated since then, but I'm not 100% sure. I can do a search on DIY, just thought somebody here has been there done that. Carl? Didn't you build one recently?

Has anybody made modifications or improvements on those originals? I think the Danley model was updated since then, but I'm not 100% sure. I can do a search on DIY, just thought somebody here has been there done that. Carl? Didn't you build one recently?

See

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/148200/1527442.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/143740/1470247.aspx#1470247

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/157453/1662586.aspx#1662586

Chris

Carl? Didn't you build one recently?

Don't have that one in my resume...........................yet. My last build was a 25Hz tapped horn. Before that was the F-20 that thaddeussmith has. Actually I built an adjustably tuned 7 cu ft box for my sons car somewhere inbetween the two. I've just started on a dual driver table tuba. I've got the sides cut and internal panels ripped but I've had some pressing family matters that have taken precedence over construction.

For those of you who still have sketchup I am attaching the spud drawing I did from the information I found on the web. I don't have enough baltic birch in 3/4, so I will have to put this project off for another day.

Carl, I was thinking the F-20 was the spud.

The only thing I'm not sure of it routering the sidewalls. I think it is uneccesary when using PL and Kreg joints. That stuff is strong!

Thanks everybody....!

spud.zip

• 3 weeks later...

pair of kp-480's. designed to mate with the LaScala. btw, if you have k-33's in them now...I would move fast to get them out. k-33's can only handle 25 watts at 40hz, k-43's can handled 50watts at 40hz.

I finally got round to buying a set of 43's. I hope it's not too late. [:)]

• 3 weeks later...