Forte I vs. Heresy I midrange and treble

AZSteve

I was wondering how the midrange and treble compare between the Heresy I and the Forte I. I have a pair of Forte I's and I'm not all that happy with the bass output. I think a lot of it is that I have very limited placement options in my room, and they're necessarily quite far from any back wall. I do, however, love the midrange and treble. I was thinking of replacing them with a set of Heresy I's and a subwoofer. I'm hoping that will get me the top end that I like with the Fortes, but with the bass that my current setup lacks. Any thoughts? I was also wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Klipsch RW-12d sub vs. the Parts Express Titanic 12.

Hey Steve, welcome to the Klipsch Forums. We're glad you are here! welcomeconfetti.gif

I can't help with your questions, but someone with more experience with those speakers will come along and share their experience with you. I just wanted to say "Howdy and Welcome"!

Dennie

AZSteve,

Welcome to the forum.

I was wondering how the midrange and treble compare between the Heresy I and the Forte I

I think they both sound fantastic and have a similar sound signature.

I have a pair of forte I's and I'm not all that happy with the bass output.

Now that is the first time I have ever heard anyone not too pleased with the forte's bass output.

I think a lot of it is that I have very limited placement options in my room, and they're necessarily quite far from any back wall.

And that could be the culprit. In order for the forte to have good bass response, in most cases, the rear passive radiator should be within 24 inches of the front wall, IMO.

I do, however, love the midrange and treble.

Very hard to beat it.

I was thinking of replacing them with a set of Heresy I's and a subwoofer. I'm hoping that will get me the top end that I like with the Fortes, but with the bass that my current setup lacks. Any thoughts?

That is also an option but if possible, I would experiment more with placement. If that does not do it, add a good tight musical sub to the forte's and see what you get.

I was also wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Klipsch RW-10d sub vs. the Parts Express Titanic 12.

I have no opinion about the RW-10d vs the Titanic 12 but I will tell you my RSW-10d blows away my RW-10d for music and HT.

Bill

Ah yes, the other reason I'm not just considering adding a sub to the Fortes: my wife doesn't like the big cabinets. I was hoping that the Heresy would have a higher WAF, and give me a little more flexibilty on the placement. Unfortunately, I really am limited in that regard. It's a bit hard to explain completely, but the rooms in that part of the house (living room, bar / library, kitchen) are all kind of oriented around a central fireplace. Consequently, in the living room there is open space to either side of the fireplace, and my wife wants (and I tend to agree) that the couch works best facing the fireplace. This creates two problems: 1) unless I put the speakers directly behind the couch, or have them firing across the front, there's no wall I can put them up against. 2) The cabinets really do seem quite large in the space because they're just sort of out there on their own without a lot around them.

Thanks though, for the responses so far. This is very helpful.

The Heresy II will be a much closer match.

Depending on the version of Heresy 1 - maybe it will really be a 1.5 which was a crossover using a similar mid to the Forte but the k-77 tweeter.

The earlier Heresy's (1/1.5) should be very close to the floor for good treble matching otherwise the treble can be quite sizzly. If you like you music that way then you may be fine.

The Heresy II is more balanced in this regard and will match much more closely to the mid/treble of the Forte. Not the same but close.

The only dimention that you will notice that is smaller on the Heresy is the height but then you will need to put them on risers to bring the mid/high up to the level of your ears so you are really in the same boat when it comes to size, just my opinion and is likely worth less than the $0.02 post people ask for with opinion posts![:S]

That's a very good point about the overall dimensions being the same except for the height. My thought was that the decreased height would allow me to place one or both of the speakers on the media center, or another piece of furniture in the room, which would give me more placement options. The lack of a passive radiator on the Heresy might also make effective placement a bit easier. I also think the Heresy is generally a bit more attractive than the Forte, and so the WAF might be a bit higher.

I hesitate to suggest this on a Klipsch forum, but if you're right about the dimensions, maybe I'd be better off looking for another vintage speaker with similar mid / top characteristics, but in a smaller cabinet and (i guess) lower efficiency. Before the Fortes, I'd run some homebuilt Dayton III MTM's with 89 dB sensitivity, and the volume level was acceptable. I dunno, though, I like the history of Klipsch and the coolness factor of the horns. I don't know how much luck I'd have with matching the characteristics, either. Perhaps a Klipsch is a Klipsch and that's it.

Heresy's and a sub are hard to beat. It sounds like you are on the right track. Rather than Dayton III, perhaps you would be interested in a Klipsch Reference bookshelf speaker. Depending on where you live, perhaps you would be willing to trade your Forte's even for a pair of Black RB-81 II's I am not using. My RB's are worth a bit more than the Forte's, but I don't have a use for them. I know right where I would put the Forte's! My RB-81's are in perfect condition, and in fact in the original boxes. They are slightly used. I am assuming your Forte's are in great shape, and worth $500 and not a $400 pair, as my RB's are worth 550.

Where are you located, and would this be on interest to you?

Here is the link to the RB81 II's: http://www.klipsch.com/rb-81-ii-bookshelf-speaker

Craig

Hmmm, I'd consider that. I'm in Tucson, where are you located? The Fortes actually are in great shape, there are no chips or scratches in the veneer. They were recently recapped using a Bob Crites crossover repair, but I have the original caps too.

Those look really, really nice! Is the grill cloth original, or did you redo them with cane?

Yes they are the original cane grills.

In either case they go really well with the rest of the room.

I keep telling my wife they are a perfect match with the bedroom furniture but she keeps asking, "Are you going to leave those big ole speakers up on my dresser?"[^o)]

Bill

Ah, yeah, West Virginia is probably too far. Thanks for the offer, though. If you're interested in looking, though, I have some pictures up at tucson.craigslist.org. If you search for Forte you'll find it pretty easily.

Those are beautiful. I just picked up another pair of LaScalas a few hours from here for $1,250. AA networks, and drop dead gorgeous:

limaLaScalas.jpg