Klf-30 placed in built-in entertainment center (rear port)

Beesley

Hi,

A friend of mine is a construction manager and has offered to finish my basement with no cost for labor. He wants to Make a built-in entertainment center with customized drywall areas to house each of my klf-30s. He said that because they are rear ported, he would remove the rear bottom 1/4 of the rear housing built-in that the klf 30 speaker would be resting in. A 6x4 opening on the bottom side of the built-in (covered By a custom air vent register) would allow the air to escape. Any thoughts on what effects this may have? He's saved me $10,000 by doing all the work and me getting builder prices for all the material so I want to allow him to do this. It will look very impressive when it's done, but I'm just curious about how the speakers will sound. Thanks!

Do you mean building something similar with some smaller speakers I own? Maybe something that could be done with extra drywall scraps....I just don't have the time right now (50 hrs work + full time school+family of 5 = a lot of "if I had the time..." statements hahaha. Good idea though!

sounds like it should woek ok but if not no sweat. Just make air tight plugs for all four vents and fill the cavity volume with fiberglass insulation. If you need more bass tha that buy a sub. You will have a nice smooth long rolling bass with eraled boxes which will work great with or without a sub. Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you can afford all this then buy some titanium diaphragms for your horns cause iit's 2012 now and they sound frickin great.

I must say they do, I just did mine and they sound great!

sounds like it should woek ok but if not no sweat. Just make air tight plugs for all four vents and fill the cavity volume with fiberglass insulation. If you need more bass tha that buy a sub. You will have a nice smooth long rolling bass with eraled boxes which will work great with or without a sub. Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you can afford all this then buy some titanium diaphragms for your horns cause iit's 2012 now and they sound frickin great.

Thanks for the info, I I've read good things about the tightanium diapragms. I was thinking about getting some titanium tweeter diaphragms from either klipsch of bob crites. About a year ago I replaced the stock mids with mids from bob crites. It seems smoother and slightly less edgy. My problem is that sometimes I suffer from "paralysis from over analysis" and right now am trying to analyze the pros/cons between crites and klipsch titanium tweeter diaphragms. From my understanding I could get titanium mids and tweets that is used in the heresy III...

I have ti tweeter diaphragms from both Bob and Klipsch and they sound the same so Bob's are the best way to go for cost. I have also directly compared Bob's new phenolic mid diaphragms to the stock Klipsch phenolic and to the Klipsch ti diaphragms. Bob'd phenolic diaphragms are better souding than the stock phenolic from Klipsch but are not in the same league as the ti mid diaphragms from Klipsch. Go with ti diaphragms for both horns. The ti mid does much more in terms of sound improvement than the tweeter does which make sense as the mid is covering all the fundamentalswhile the tweeter is covering only harmonics. Both are necessary but if I had to choose just one it would be the mid horn diaphragm.

Something else which is well worth doing is to re inforce the walls of the mid horn on the KLF20 or 30. This is an excellent horn but the material thickness of the horn wall is very thin and it will flex under hard drive of the woofers so gluing stiffening members and damping the horn with dynamat helps greatly to improve the clairity of the sound. I hope that this is of some interest. Best regards Moray James.

Switching fron vented to sealed will impact the tuning. While you may get a little more output at the box/vent tuning frequency it willdrop like a rockbelow that point where as with a sealed box roll of is smooth and steady so that you actually get deeper bass extension. You can easily experiment by blocking off your vents to have a listen. Adding internal damping will have the effect of making the box seem larger in volume to the drivers than it is so you achieve a lower tuning with added stuffing. Dont use polyester or dacron as they offer littleapparent volume increase fibrerglass is the best option. Good luck. Best regards Moray James.

Alright--a lot of good info here, thank you. I'll experiment with sealing/opening the vents after the project is complete. Also, I'll reinforce around the mid and do some internal damping when I end up purchasing *** tweets and mids. Now I'm going to have to put titanium diaphragms in the KLF-C7 when i get one again hahaha! I've been at this hobby for about 12 yrs and it truly keeps getting better! When i get back to the computer I'll attach a pic of the built in so far just to get an idea(cant figure out how to attach with iPhone) Will eventually put the two klf 30s on either side and, a c-7 (when i get it) in the center. We haven't installed the MDF yet for the speakers to rest on, but I'll take the suggestions and keep everything sealed initially and see how the heck it sounds....can always open the rear and side of the space later if needed. Thanks for all the input...awesome.

• 2 years later...