Upgrade or Downgrade

shepjk01

In the never ending quest of speaker upgrades I have decided to switch up the top end in my dbb's. Right now I have a jbl2485j mated to a fc260 wooden tractrix horn covering from 400hz to 5800 then a jbl 2404 the rest of the way. I'm pretty happy with the combination, but I always want to try new combinations.

I was thinking of going to a 2 way setup with a faital pro hf200 on an eliptrac horn and raising the crossover point to 600hz. I have owned two pair of titanium drivers(jbl2445 & evdh1a) I did not care for the sound of either in a 3 way setup,but have heard great things about the faital. I preferred the jbl2485j to both the titanium drivers I owned.Those who have had a 2way and 3 way setup or used the faital driver what are your thoughts. Would I be better off sticking to a 3 way and trying out a jbl2440 or 2441 with the eliptrack or going the 2 way route with the eliptrack and faital. Thanks in advanced for the help.

The point is that it is a resonance.

I would rather have to boost a driver with a cleaner, although lower output.

While I may not hear much above 12Khz either, a resonance will cause intermodulation with lower sidebands that I can hear.

Guest David H

Here is the graphs from Faital pro and B&C on the same scale, if you look at B&C graph you will notice its 5db per division.

Both drivers perform extremely well.

Dave

post-24405-13819800367934_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Here is a graph Bob Crites sent me recently the Green trace is the Eliptrac with the HF-200 horn no eq.

Obviously these were taken with some degree of smoothing.

Dave

post-24405-13819800369174_thumb.jpg

Subjectively, I like the DE85 over my HF200s, enough so to sell the HFs in the coming months and buy a 2nd set of DE85s.

If I didnt have the resources to do, I would happily live the 1 of each set. Im not sure if Ill hear a diff in 3 way. in 2 way setup the DE85 was more relaxed.

It would be a great shoot out between the JBL Faital and B&C.

"so what do you think about how that plot looks"

The JBL 2431/32/35 all have the same basic parts other than the diaphragm.

The titanium (32) measures the best and sounds the worst. The aluminum (31) measures not quite so good but sounds better. The beryllium (35) doesn't measure as good as the aluminum, but sounds the best of the three.

Go figure.

where would you rank drivers with phenolic diaphragms?

"so what do you think about how that plot looks"

The titanium (32) measures the best and sounds the worst. The aluminum (31) measures not quite so good but sounds better. The beryllium (35) doesn't measure as good as the aluminum, but sounds the best of the three.

Go figure.

Guest David H

Go figure.

Can't argue with that. The flattest response certainly doesn't mean the best sound, however it is a good place to start.

Dave