Eico HF-81 is here! Now what?!

anarchist

Crash,

The first listing looks good.

Second I wouldn't go for seller has only 4 feedback

Third is only one Mullard but the Amperex are nice tubes too.

Fourth looks okay but not much markings to know for sure what they are.

As always you never know if its a good deal till the last second.

I am with mobile on the Bidding software and services. Seems lazy to me.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 06-15-2002 at 09:25 PM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok world,

Like everything else we use, software is merely a tool to be used to accomplish the task in our lives. Good software extends one capability to get work done. There are many times when one can not be sitting at the computer keyboard baby sitting an auction. I am not going to get up at 4 AM to bid on an auction the closes at that hour or any other hour if I can avoid it. I for one, am a single parent with a gazillion demands on my time. Technology is meant to make life easier and better. Do you use a "Favorites" list on your browser, or do you type in every url every time? Get serious! Without rolling out the use of the internet to a wider audience are we able to agree and disagree on so many issues, as well as share so much information. That's software again. I prefer to check my macho attitude at the door and try to objectively evaluate what an item is worth to "me" by doing homework on historical lookups of past item sales and any other data. Once these task are complete, I set my bid parameters and move to the other task in my life. If I did my homework well, I'm rewarded. If not, there's always another auction of the same or similar items and quite possibly an even better deal. No tendency to chase bid prices. For those who choose to wait at the keyboard, that's your choice. I'd rather have an M-16 rather than a stone or a B-B gun when I'm on the modern battlefield. That "Real men........." statement is just a bunch of crap as far as I'm conerned. Nevertheless, I will also totally acknowledge anyones right to wait by the screen if that's what makes you feel like a man. Quite frankly, I have other measures of manhood.

crash,

ON the items you posted;

I agree on the item with low seller feedback as risky, but the 12AU7 Daystroms are a Mullard made tube.

The item of mixed Mullard and Amperex, one of the Amperex tubes, the one on the far right, is also a Mullard made tube.

The 12AX7s look legit but he did not provide any values reference for the "test strong" statement.

The pair of Mullards provides no values reference for "test good" but look legit.

Good luck on whatever route you take to aquire them.

Klipsch out

Hi,

I tell you what jazman, I am pretty certain I just lost an auction against someone who used bidding software. Threw my bid in there 5 seconds before the end and got outbid by a new bidder.

That is four auctions. This keeps up I am going to get a weapon of my own. Software is a tool and quite a few of the reasons for using bidding software are more than valid - I am not getting up at 4 in the morning to bid.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Crash,

When you bid on something that you want always bid like you just did. But bid the absolute most your willing to pay. Even if other aren't using bid software almost everyone that is Ebay savy bids in the last few seconds and almost everyone buying tubes on Ebay are real savy. It doesn't matter who gets the last bid in if you set your bid as high as your willing to pay if you lose what have you lost ? Tubes that were more than your willing to pay right ? Bidding software or not if your bid isn't high enough you will still lose if someone is willing to go higher. The last bidder only wins if he also the highest bidder.

Good Luck Craig

You are correct NOS and they went for more than I was willing to pay - it still sucks. Smile.gif

? for you guys. IS a Mullard CV4003 really a 'box plate' high end version of the Mullard 12AU7 and is the Mullard CV 4004 really a 'box plate' high end version of the Mullard 12AX7? If it is NOS, NIB is it worth $55.00 a tube?

Additionally, you guys with tube testers is the EICO 666 worth a damn? I want to get a tube tester but I am not spending $150+ for a Hickok or whatever the heck else is out there. I missed an auction for a working Eico 666 by a minute that went for 51.00. What would you pay for a good, working one?

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Another question. Is the Eico self biasing or must you manually adjust the bias. If it is the latter, does anyone have an instruction manual or can you tell me what the hell is involved?

I am getting so irritated with these auctions that after doing a little checking around I found I can buy brand new NOS, NIB, wrapped Mullards - 12AU7's and 12AX7's for less than what some of these auctions are going for from reputable dealer.

I just may go that route but a brief conversation the other day with the guy (referencing EL84's) resulted in him asking about bias adjustment. I, of course, said I have no friggin clue. Anyone got a manual on this little machine?

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

crash,

To cover a lot of ground quickly;

You can get a manual from Eico manual

I know of no bias adjustment for the HF81, only hum adjustment

The Mullards you mentioned are the military versions of the 12AX7 and 12AU7.

An Eico666 will work for all of the tubes you use in the HF81 as long as you make sure it's guaranteed to work and you buy one with the manual that explains operation steps and settings for testing. If you plan to own other tube amp/preamps, the additional cost of some Hickok testers with capability to test more types of tubes may be worth while.

Bidding on tubes definitely requires you to know the retail values of the items. As I stated before, auctions are strange beasts. It's important to do your historical homework on items and prices. Call or email tube retailers for pricing. Do not get caught up in the emotion of " I must have/want this item and loose perspective. New items are posted 24 hrs a day, another one will be available soon. Sometimes it seems everyone is chasing the same items, other times very few. The point of using ebay for me is either to save money, or find something not easily or immediately available through regular retail. Don't forget to factor in additional shipping/packing charges of some sellers as part of the total price. Always have a Plan B. A set of four matched EL84 EI's and maybe JJ Tesla from Triode Electronics is only $39. They sound fine and you can take your time picking off the EL84 tubes you want, at a price you are willing to pay. Tube World has NOS tubes if you're willing to pay for them.

Klipsch out.

Not to confuse the ebay issue but my post was half in jest and I surely would have not used the "real man" comment for fear of being taken literally and for the fact that 90% of "real men" are annoying bastards.

Seriously though, I dont particularly think the Sniping Software is the most fair means of winning the auction. NO, it is not UNETHICAL outright, but it seemingly takes part of the fair interchange out of the equation and removes the human component. Obviously, others will disagree here. But telling a major forum to start using snipe software is just not my ballgame. I have had more than a few ask me for tricks to employ to win. I have actually never lost an auction I really wanted but have resisted the urge to go to snipe software for what I see is a sort of unfair advantage and not exactly playing by the gentleman rules. OF course, this is just opinion.

The one thing i WOULD like to add to all you ebay goons is PLEASE DO NOT BID EARLY on these auctions! I can never understand why ebay patrons BID days before the auction ends, only to drive the damn price up and up for no reason but to seemingly SEE their name in print. A little note: BIDDNG EARLY DOES NOTHING BUT DRIVE THE PRICE UP. Of course, the use of a reserve is a bit different. But I have seen no reserve auction starting at $1 escalate to $1000 in a few days by loons (or unethical sellers). This happned to a perfect pair of Cary 300se Monoblocks recently. IT was a pity. IF you are not going to be there at the end of the auction, it's one thing. But many, even experienced ebay fiends bid early.

I personally doubt I will ever use snipe software as my own system seems to work fine and is more flexible.

As for vintage tubes on ebay, it is always a gamble. I tend to prefer sellers with almost no feedback in this area. Still, this is taking a chance. IF the auctions are ANYWHERE NEAR regular prices, go to the dealer like Brandan at Tube World etc. Also, remember as I said, brand name (EICO etc) tubes often are GREAT deals as they dont come up MULLARD etc. EICO labeled EL-84 are mostly Mullard. You then just have to worry about LIFE in the bastards.

kh

ps- The stock EICO HF-81 bias is not user adjustable except by changing the resistors or circuit. IT is cathode bias and you dont do anything but insert the tubes (helps to have matched pairs if possible).

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

mobile,

I understand your approach to the "spirit" of an auction. The "real man" retort was not directed at you.

The rec. I made is to use a site that simply employs its software to submit your bid in a timely last second manner. The site snychronizes with the clock of the auction site of the item up for auction(ebay), and insures your bid parameters are entered within the last few seconds of the auction expiration. If you enter a non winning maximun amount, the sites software won't help you, that's why doing one's homework is important. The value of not having to be at the keyboard at the time an auction ends is invaluable, along with removing the emotion of possible last second "auction fever", I consider as important reasons to have this in one's tool bag for winning auctions. Enough said by me.

BTW Mobile, what happened to your very informative EICO page? I can't seem to find it. I thought it was a gold mine of information for the HF81 and it really helped me.

Klipsch out.

Hello Jazman, long time no hear! How's ye olde system?

All my pages got moved but are now up again via a new address.

The EICO HF-81 page

http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf81/

System One Page w/links to other pages

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/audio/set.htm

Good to see you still enjoying your music.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Well, I had had enough. Placed my order today for Ei EL84's and 4 NOS, wrapped Mullard CV4004's. Now to go have a beer and cry over how 8 tubes just cost me more than the damn amplifier. No, I did not need 4 new 12AX7 but I wanted spares per the advice I got here. I also got tired of the crapshoot on Ebay. Now to try and avoid explaining the charges to the wife. Have to sneak in some NOS 12AU7s/CV4003's next month as well as another quad of EL84's. Time to roll.

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Don't feel alone Crash, huntin' for NOS Mullard tubes

is a real PITA.

I may just go the EI route as well.

I'm damn grateful that Jazman gave me some new EL-84's when he sent me my EICO's.

At least I can live with these tubes until I can come up with the extra flow for Mullards.

The amps are cheap, it's the tubes that kill ya.

THANX!

Mike,

I'll send you an email later tonight.

crash,

Send me an email, edmond@pcmagic.net. I have a couple of 12AU7's which may interest you, and the wife won't beat you up. RCA 5963(12AU7) NOS black plates

Mobile,

Yes, the music is very alive here every day. I should be getting my hands on a couple of additional 6SN7s in about a week. I could not nail down the year of manufacture, but they are Brimars. If they are what I hope, there will be two coming your way. Stay tuned.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 06-17-2002 at 09:01 PM