Modding a Khorn just to go back to stock. Anybody got a story?

jwgorman

Anyone know of someone who has gone to great lengths to mod their khorns with different drivers/xovers etc, only to put them back to stock? Just curious. I'm a guitar player and I get mods. But sometimes, after awhile, regret sinks in.

I have my stock 98 khorns that I recently recapped and coiled per the AK-3 schematic. Speaking as a guy who's had 3 pairs of maggies, ARs, Vandersteens, Belles and Khorns I get there is no perfect speaker, it all depends on what is most important.

I'm still working on getting a luxman sq38 or maybe a triode 300b integrated. But I think these khorns with AK-3s sound pretty darn good even with mac SS stuff running them.

not exactly the story your are looking for but probably the same theme. my first few sets of LaScala's , were always upgraded / modded to get to a certain level, my first set of khorns were also modded to get to a certain level. My second set of khorns were lest stock. My third set of khorns were lest stock. My belles were left stock. My current set of LaScala's , Heresy line, left stock. The last two sets of Cornwalls were left stock. I evolved to just doing restorations if required. Last night I listened to my pair of 1993 unmodified khorns with stock AK-2 networks. They sounded as good as anything else I have modded up to. I do have some AK-3 and AK-4 networks that I could install, and maybe someday I will.....but it's not something that has to be done right away before I can sit back and enjoy music. To your question....when selling gear....I think a lot of folks unmod speakers to get them back to where thye were as they lower their sell prices.

I have done a number of things. added ALK crossover, tried triamping with DEQX electronic crossover , swapped tweeter for JBL2404H and ended up going back to the stock driver k-horns with the ALKs, too much trouble and management in the full house configuration (not to mention the reduced WAF) for what seemed to me rather modest gains in music quality. I might have even gone back to the original AK3 crossovers had it not been for the damage done to them during my first swap to ALK. not that the ALK dont sound good, they do. but the origianl crossover IIRC sounded somewhat warmer in the midrange than the ALKs and I liked that a LOT. sold the DEQX, the 2404Hs and other amplifiers in a closet somewhere and me enjoying the hell out of music played on my k-horns. T

I have been very conservative and haven't done much compared with the rest of you. In the late 1980's, I went from the AK-2 to the AK-3 and updated the drivers, and heard moderate improvements. In the early 2000's, I went to the AK-4 crossover and drivers, which I thought notably improved the smoothness and blending of the horns. I am now a fan of the AK-4.

Parenthetically, I also removed some wood inserts originally installed by Klipsch in the bass horn throat. These apparently had been causing an uneven-sounding midrange, which disappeared when they were removed.

I upgraded to ALK universal crossovers and Beyma tweeter then found that I really preferred the sound of the Type A crossover. Eventually ran across the Crites tweeter which I prefer to the K77 and currently use the crites tweeter and a Type A crossover crossed at 4500hz.

• Like 1

Parenthetically, I also removed some wood inserts originally installed by Klipsch in the bass horn throat. These apparently had been causing an uneven-sounding midrange, which disappeared when they were removed.

I recall this....there's a few pic's on the forum somewhere....I think this was used with the 6" wide throat slot vs the 3" wide throat slot.

Just added to that thread:

icon-quote.gifWilliam F. Gil McDermott:

The above gets you to an article on the slot.

Gil

From D-Man in 2005: "Remember: If it isn't a K33E, the slot should be wider!"

Maybe that's why the vintage EV 15WKs didn't sound good in my 1962 3" slot K-horns when I tried them back then!

I feel we should take it slow when modding. listen a LOT before deciding what areas need attention and then work out a plan to address those identified weaknesses. In the end I ended up satisfied with my sound. BTW I am using a PP 2A3 rig and love it, more than enough power to rock the house. regards, tony

I am using a PP 2A3 rig and love it...

I still want that amp, or the real deal schematic from Jeff. He wasn't willing to give it up and I was having some trouble deciphering your drawings. BUT, since I now have a set of Moondogs, I'm happy,... maybe build some SETHs someday.

Bruce