Interesting Speaker with Klipsch drivers

ACM

Found this speaker searching around the web. I'm guessing the person replying to the original thread is correct that the speaker is some sort of DIY project. Any of you have any idea how a speaker of this design might sound?

Upload

Original thread: http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/625753.html

I don't know if DIY or not, but the according to the OP in the link below from the Klipsch forum, he does not seem to think DIY nor did he seem to think Klipsch. The OP in the link stated that they are called “Beta speakers and they were made in Dallas Texas in 1977 to 1982, slotted $1200 a pair new, 30 to 18k + or - 5 db, xver at 400 and at 5k.” I’m not familiar with how they sound, but the OP had provided a few impressions in the thread.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/73719.aspx?PageIndex=1

• 1 year later...

I will post some pics in the future of my rebuild of a pair of these. I have the M-100's set aside for the future. Very hard to find any of these, ever. The midrange horn in the M-100 was designed and patented by Philip R. Clements, owner of Solus. I have tried to contact him about Beta Sound, but could never get an answer.

So as i take it these are a patented klipsch derived "cornscala" and the very first at that. In my opinion it is a great very technical looking design compared to the late cornscala versions not implementing thee folded horn. That is an extremely great example to redesign and turn the current cornscalas models being built today. Or at least include another build option with the low frequency folded horn design. Of course unless one prefers a direct radiating low frequency woofer, which i'm on the fence with. I appreciate anymore information anybody can provide to learn more about this speaker....cheers

The M-100 is the first Cornscala. I guess I will have to uncover mine in the garage and take some pics. The smaller cousin shown in the pics above is the Model 045. It is supposed to reach down to 35 mHz. There is a taller version that I have not seen before that the literature says will reach down to 30 mHz. The Model 100 is supposed to go down to 30 also. I can attest that they really sound great. The woofers on all have vented dust covers on the cones, ala Altec-Lansing.

To me this is good stuff. Good information i can see implementing in the future. Theres a lot of history to learn. Hate to lose any history tied to klipsch...Thank you for your time

edit:everytime i look at them just gets me more and more interested. i wonder what pwk thought of them if he ever came across them. surely he had id assume

Edited by beeker

The slots have a fibrous material similar to the stuff used for air conditioner filters. The grill covers were acoustic foam, not cloth. I haven't found a pair that still had the foam left on them. The M-100's had identical fabric to Klipsch wrapped around the sides, but the fronts were acoustic foam.

If I remember correctly (which is not very often), Bob Moers was extremely upset about Beta Sound. Calling them a rip-off of Klipsch products, but that is about all I remember ever being mentioned. I have a copy of the patent on the mid-range horn. I need to move a few consoles to get to the M-100's, but will do so soon. My M-045's are in Clarksville. They are next on my list to redo. Probably go out in the garage. The problem I have had is in finding the proper dust cap. I have the dust caps for the M-100's. I guess I will have to make my own vented caps for the 12" woofers.

I have spoken with dealers that handled Beta Sound. The reason they did so was because they couldn't get authorized to sell Klipsch due to geographical restrictions of one dealer per area.

• 2 years later...

Actually, we were part owners of Beta Sound. They were exceptionally well built with some of the speakers (like the 1001)

having over 147 separate pieces of wood. They were "time-aligned" also. Very possibly the best made speakers ever produced. It was the attention to detail and the extreme difficulty of their construction that eventually put us out of biz. There were even two pairs of mini 1001's made for proof-of-concept and to show potential dealers. I can't even guess what they cost to build as they were only about 14" tall ..... mind blowingly difficult to build out of walnut. Had the EV tweeter and a 4" woofer. There was zero cost cutting on any of the speakers, as only the very best electronics we could get our hands on was used. No shortcuts.

The 045 model had a sweeter sound than the comparable "K" model. And the 1001 was a significantly better speaker than the corner-horn. I missed the opportunity to get a pair when I should have, and wound up with corner-horns. Not bad speakers, but not remotely as fun/accurate to listen to as the Beta. I actually knew Paul Klipsch and would go to his house (fantastic view from his living room with the two grand pianos) and factory before Klipsch went out of business. I still have the knife and BS lapel pin he gave me. I always loved the anechoic chamber there. (the stuff the new owners make under the "Klipsch" name they purchased, is admittedly a pale shadow of the originals, so check out eBay for the originals)  Later on, I used to do commercial sound and even though I was a Klipsch & EV dealer at the time, the Betas were clearly superior.