Problem w/marantz sr5006 and rf-7 II

ChrisSchep

hi everyone. i desperately need some help here. im really new to home audio and i happened to pick up a pair of rf-7 II's, an rc-64 II and a maranrz sr5006 receiver at a really good price so i didnt want to pass it up. Heres my problem: 1) after hooking everything up and turning it on, the receiver shuts off (clipping?) after only turning the volume up just above listening level. 2) after trying a few different things, the receiver shut off the last time and now when i try to turn it on, it turns off IMMEDIATELY before any sound even comes out of the speakers. im so lost.

my first question - is there a way to configure this receiver to work with these speakers or do i just need to get an amp to push them? my second question - how to i get the receiver to stay on since now it goes off after about 2 seconds of being on?? is this a fuse issue?? did i blow something?? again i am completely lost and know little to nothing about home audio. thanks so much for any help!!!

Chris,

The Marantz should push the two 7's and the 64 just fine. did you get a manual with the receiver? Are you sure that they are wired correctly? if you have the manual, there is a Reset process that you should be able to find. if you don't have the manual, you can download it from the Web. Check your wiring first, then try for the reset. if the problem still persist, you can call Customer Service at marantz and they should be able to help. You may have purchased a Bad receiver, but i truly doubt it. You will probably find it is something simple. be sure that none of your speaker wires are shorting out to any metal around the connections. Sometimes stray copper strands are hard to see. Sounds like something is shorting.......

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you running a subwoofer? If not, adding a subwoofer will help alleviate the strain that may be occurring with the 5006's internal amps. The protection circuitry in the 5006 may be very sensitive and could be engaging with just any slight impedence dip with the RF-7II/RC-64II combo.

On the other hand, the RF-7II/RC-64II combo does love some clean power that a quality outboard amp should provide.

Bill

no, nothing significant happens really. when i turn it on now, the screen comes on for a a second at the most and shuts off again. not even enough time to press another button. it may be defective. i bought it as an "open box" item so i may just return it. is there another receiver you would recommend for around $400 since i wont be able to get a replacement for this one at the same price since it was an open box deal??

Hi Chris, in general one should spend 1/3 of the budget on amplification in an HT setup. I use to think in terms of power for amp/avr's. I now think that the room plays a big role in how a system sounds and how well everything blends together. A good room correction system should be one of the highest priorities in selecting an avr or pre-amp in addition to it power handling. Getting an am 1-3 years old may allow you to get a much higher quality amp/avr that is stabe to 4 ohms with a good correction system. How large of a room are you in and how do you listen to music/movies will help others suggest some possibilities.

Chris, I agree with you. It sounds like its the receiver has an issue. If you bought it form a store then take it back to them. or call Marantz and ask them about a it. If they can't help you, look for a repair person in your area. It might be something small and a cheap fix. Good luck brother