looking to get a new receiver, and need some OPINIONS

likeitloud

i currently have this for my set-up...yamaha rx-v595 receiver - pair of klipsch kg4 speakers(1989) - , a klipsch kv3 center speaker ,a sony xbr 3d television,sony ps3,and have direct tv hd satellite receiver. my first choice is listening to my music (loud,loud&clear),but i want to have decent home theatre secondly.what i have now sounds very good, but i would much like to improve the music quality. i listen to blues to hard thrash like slayer for example.my yamaha 595 is more directed towards home theatre ,from what i get . i really am more concerned with music quality first. any suggestions on the best best receiver, in the $400 range, considering all the above?

Hey Jeffery welcome, we're glad you're here! [<:o)]

I SAID... WELCOME! WE'RE GLAD YOU ARE HERE!!! ("Like-it-loud", get it?) .... rolling.gif

Anyway....

I looked around and I don't think the "Yami" has "Pre-outs" so that you could add a separate amp for the front speakers.

So, I would look for a AVR that has pre-outs, so you can (also) get a decent 2 channel amp and get some power behind those KG4's! But, I think you'd have to increase your budget a little.

The AVR that you have is a "budget priced" unit and it's just not going to give you what you want for music, as you are finding out.

Again, nice to have you on board, don't hesitate to ask questions. We're a pretty friendly bunch.

Dennie... drinkingcheers.gif

Hi, and thanks. What price range would a avr that fits the bill be? Do you have any specific units in mind ?

You would probably be better off asking this in the "HT" section. But, it really depends on your needs and most of all, budget.

If you are combining an HT and 2 channel set up, you need to have "pre-outs" for at least the front 2 channels. Many folks like Marantz and H/K and Yamaha with Klipsch. I use a Pioneer Elite AVR with a Adcom GFA 555 (2 channel) for my mains and a Adcom GFA 7607 (7 channel) for the HT. I don't use any of the amps in the Pioneer, just the processing.

Look around at AVR's and find the one that has features you need, make sure it has "pre-outs", in your price range. You can add a 2 channel amp at a later date. "Craigslist" can be good for used gear at good prices.

Dennie

Like Dennie I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX49TXi (160wpc @6 ohms) and this thing is a beast. Found it on Craig's List for $400 (MSRP $4,500). Weighs half as much as I do. It'll do just about anything except HDMI.

It'll take room measurements to set its own eq. After it sampled my room, the eq setting wasn't anywhere close to what I thought it would be. But even after it's set you can still make your own adjustments to suit your taste.

Your AVR is pretty basic. As others have said, used will give you the best bang for your buck and if you don't need all the latest and greatest features, you can get a good price on units that only a few years ago were the top-o-the heap.

Even with not the highest wpc rating, a better quality AVR with pre-outs will let you combine both music and theater in one room by adding a good quality power amp to the setup at a later date.

Use the stereo power amp on your main speakers and when in stereo mode, you will get great sound from your KGs. When in HT mode, you will releave the AVR from powering the mains and thus take that load off of the power supply of the AVR and in the process, improve the quality of the whole setup.