Tarpon Resort in Palm Harbor, Florida.

Friday, October 26th - Meet and

Greet with Dan Laufman

Saturday, October 27th, 9am -

6pm: Live Demos, Food, and Fun

For more information please visit the information

page on the Audioholics website. Also, don't forget to register

on Facebook!

I received the above email from Emotiva saying they would be at this event on Oct 26 - 27th. Link

Here is some info on the various Demo Rooms.... looks like Emotiva will be showing off the new XMC-1. [:D]

Not sure if I'll be able to make it this weekend. Post here if you are planning on attending....might be a good opportunity for some Klipsch members to meet up during the event.

Michael

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey youth if you go I sure would like you to get a good impression of the emp room. Never heard of them but they sure do look nice and have a sweet price tag. (Same with emotiva) and I ended up loving their stuff. Not that I plan on upgrading the theater room. But hey for that price maybe it would put a hurting on my little rf-42 ht in the living room. And red burl sure is a pretty wood. I hope you can make it.

• Moderators

Will do. I'll be sure to take my camera as well and see if I can get some shots of the setups and gear.

I've never heard of emp before. Not familiar with them at all.

Emotiva is going to have their new amps there as well.

My wife said we have something going on at 10am but my guess is it will be over at noon so I could probably still make it over there at least for a few hours. Would just miss the free lunch.

• Moderators

Hey youth if you go I sure would like you to get a good impression of the emp room.

Looks like I'll be headed there by myself.

I just saw this sale on the Audioholics FB page.

Guys/Gals, EMP is offering a huge discount on products (35% off all EMP speakers) to all attendees of our GTG event this weekend. Also they are throwing in the awesome RBH earphones with every purchase. You can be sure other sponsors will also be offering perks to our attendees too!

254394_10151263761987165_1344690762_n.jp

• Moderators

I just returned form the Audioholics 2012 GTG Event. I had a great time checking out the different vendors, demo rooms and talking with the reps. I took a ton of photos (especially of the Emotiva gear) and will be sharing some of them after I sort through them and resize them for the forum. I will also share my thoughts on the different vendors that were represented. Stay tuned....

• Moderators

Emotiva Airmotiv6 Nearfield Monitors

These sounded nice but I wasn't blown away by them by any means. We didn't really get a chance to crank them up either. A little thin on the bottom end but again, this was at low volume.

emotiva-airmotiv6-1.jpg

emotiva-airmotiv6-2.jpg

emotiva-airmotiv6-3.jpg

• Moderators

When I first arrived at the hotel, I was greeted with the Emotiva Mobile Lounge. No one was inside but it had a demo cranking so I entered to check it out.

Emotiva-Mobile-Lounge1.jpg

Emotiva-Mobile-Lounge-2.jpg

This trailer was tricked out with a full HT setup.

emotiva-mobile-lounge.jpg

The speakers consisted of what appeared to be (3) Emotiva XRC-6.2 speakers for the front soundstage, two in-ceiling speakers directly above the captains chairs and an Emotiva XREF-12 DSP Subwoofer.mounted inside the false wall up front.

Emotiva-Mobile-Lounge-3.jpg

A closeup look at the Emotiva Components revealed an ERC-2 CD Player, (3) UPA-200 (150 watt x 2) amplifiers, a Sony Bluray player, an XDA-1 DAC, UMC-1 and a UPA-500 (80 watt x 5) amplifier.

Emotiva-Mobile-Lounge-4.jpg

A view of the two captains chairs

Emotiva-Mobile-Lounge-5.jpg

My overall thoughts:

This setup sounded really, really great for HT in the tiny space! Crystal clear highs, the sub was pounding out the lower frequencies. They really had it cranked up and they sounded very nice. I have no idea how they would sound in a larger room but for a small room, absolutely fantastic with no distortion. The only demo playing was a movie so I don't know how they would sound for music. They were using (2) in-ceiling speakers and surprisingly, they sounded very nice as well when standing up. I'm not sure I noticed them playing while I was seated (possibly because they were firing directly down upon my head). I've never been fond of in-ceiling speakers but in this setup, it worked very well (although they were only 4 feet above my head when seated). LOL

• Moderators

Once inside the hotel, I headed for the main Emotiva Demo Room.

They had a number of processors & amps on display, all with the tops removed so you could get a good look at the inside. I'll highlight some of those shortly.

Their main demo consisted of a 10' wide 16:9 projection screen and an Epson 5020 3D projector. When the lights went out, the image was absolutely stunning. At 2400 lumens, it was very vibrant, sharp and the colors were absolutely stunning. I even tried the 3D and it was very nice as well. The projector retails for $2500 (same as my Panasonic AE3000u). I have heard great things about Epson and saw today firsthand the reviews are trustworthy. I thought my projector was large. This thing is a true beast. The ONLY deal breaker for me was that it does not have a Memory Zoom feature so you have to manually adjust focus and zoom every time the aspect ratio changes. This does not work well for a 2.35:1 setup because most DVD menus are in 16:9 and my PS3 is 16:9 so I need the ability to easily change from 16:9 to 2.35:1 ratio. If you have a 16:9 screen, I would HIGHLY recommend this projector. (sorry I forgot to take a pic of it)

At the back of the room, they had the rack for the main demo setup. It consisted of the following (from top to bottom):

Epson 5020
UMC-200 (replacement processor for the UMC-1)
UPA-700 (125 watt x 7 amplifier)
LG Bluray Player
ERC-2 CD Player

Emotiva-Rack-1.jpg

Emotiva-Rack-2.jpg

Emotiva-Rack-3.jpg

• Moderators

The main demo consisted of the Emotiva XRT-6.2 towers, XRC-6.2 X-REF Center, X-REF 12 sub, some model of Wide Dispersion speaker (very small and never really heard them) and some very tiny surround back bookshelf speakers.

To be honest, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the Emotiva Speakers. We watched a scene from Battleship. Dialogue was not clear from the center channel, almost masked or muffled. The dual subs seemed to do fairly well for that size room (room was pretty long) but the most disappointing part was the main speakers kept making "plopping" sounds during explosions. Don't know if they had the main gain up too high, xover frequency too low or if the main speakers just aren't that great. I heard it during two different demoes at two different times. I even put my head up to the subwoofer to see if it was the culprit but it sounded smooth and was definitely the mains that were overextending or something of that nature.

Emotiva-XRT-Speakers-1.jpg

Emotiva-XRT-Speakers-2.jpg

• Moderators

This amp is just sick looking! I lifted the front of the XPA-5 and it was pretty heavy but the XPR-5 is a monster indeed. For Klipsch owners, I really do not see any need for a 400 x 5 amp with a huge 3.3 kVA toroidal power supply. It would merely be for bragging rights. [:P]

Emotiva-XPR-5-2.jpg

Below is a size comparison to show you how big this monster amp really is:
UPA-500 (Left)
XPA-5 (Middle)
XPR-5 (Right)

Emotiva-XPR-5-3.jpg

Emotiva-XPR-5-4.jpg

Rear connectors of the Emotiva XPR-5 Amp

Emotiva-XPR-5-5.jpg

Emotiva-XPR-5-6.jpg

Emotiva-XPR-5-7.jpg

Emotiva-XPR-5-8.jpg

Emotiva-XPR-5-9.jpg

• Moderators

And here is the last of the Emotiva Pics....

The long awaited XMC-1. Dan said in an interview while I was there that they will definitely have it released by the first of the 2013, if not sooner. I asked one of the Emotiva reps about the Tact and he said when the XMC-1 initially ships, it will not include TACT but will be a firmware update sometime after it releases. They don't to delay shipping any longer than they have to.

Emotiva-XMC-1-1.jpg

Emotiva-XMC-1-2.jpg

Emotiva-XMC-1-3.jpg

Emotiva-XMC-1-4.jpg

Emotiva-XMC-1-5.jpg

Emotiva-XMC-1-6.jpg

Emotiva-XMC-1-7.jpg

Emotiva-XMC-1-8.jpg