Brahms Fourth at Strathmore, May 4, 2013; And all-Wagner on June 1, 2013

LarryC

This announces a group outing at Strathmore Hall on Saturday evening, May 4, 2013, to see the National Philharmonic play the Fourth Symphony of Brahms along with other Brahms works. This is a Youtube segment of the first movement; unfortunately, Lennie won't be around to do the honors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=invVx9j9BRI

I've been fortunate to assemble a group minimum of 10 for the concert, and reserved seats in the great area we had last time. I'll also reserve a place for everyone at the fine Black Market Bistro for our usual pre-concert dinner. The price, a 20% discount, is $49.60 per. I'll be asking for checks in March, 2013.

If anyone I haven't contacted wants to join in, please let me know ASAP so I can reserve the seat. Post any questions here, or you can e-mail or PM me.

Larry

Looking forward to it, Larry. Thanks as always for putting this together.

Did they open up the boxes on the side overlooking the stage for this performance? I went onto the website and had a difficult time determining whether or not the Promenade Boxes that look to be available are what we used to reserve each year. If so, I'm sure the musicians will be thrilled to have us back!

Did they open up the boxes on the side overlooking the stage for this performance? I went onto the website and had a difficult time determining whether or not the Promenade Boxes that look to be available are what we used to reserve each year. If so, I'm sure the musicians will be thrilled to have us back!

I wish! The musicians might be glad to see us again, but the conductor is the problem.

Other conductors like Marin Alsop don't seem to mind, but Pyotr has a problem with it. It may partly be finances -- I was told they'd open up some or all if I got a group of 30... I can barely get 10.

I'd love to get those seats back!

Larry

I'll be rockin da house to Brahms with my fellow miscreants. To those in the area, or traveling here on business, you can't beat a classical concert in the Strathmore, especially if it's presided over by our own LarryClare. So come on down!!!!!!!

Oh I plan on being there (barring any unforseen circumstances). I am looking forward to this. I was the one that originally e-mailed Larry about asking for any decent performances that we could see. I do want to go see something up there. I may still go to that Wagner one that was kicked around in June, even if it was just me and Larry.

I was the one that originally e-mailed Larry about asking for any decent performances that we could see. I do want to go see something up there. I may still go to that Wagner one that was kicked around in June, even if it was just me and Larry

Steve, shall I order us coupla good tickets?

Anyone else?

I was the one that originally e-mailed Larry about asking for any decent performances that we could see. I do want to go see something up there. I may still go to that Wagner one that was kicked around in June, even if it was just me and Larry

Steve, shall I order us a coupla good tickets?

Anyone else?

Sure, I am up for it (again, barring no unforseen circumstances, as May and June are still a ways out).

Well, after calling around a bit, seven people including me are up for the June 1 all-Wagner. Seven won't get us the group discount, so those will be priced somewhat higher.

Anyone else, please let me know. Tickets still available.

Larry

• 5 months later...

Time to reawaken this sleeping giant of the concert on May 4, 2013, at Strathmore Hall in Bethesda, MD!!

I now have 12 people down to attend this concert, 11 to participate at the usual dinner at the Black Market Restaurant in Kensington, MD. As most of you know, the dinner is tightly scheduled to begin at 5:15 p.m., to allow time to park in the garage and get seated.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP IF YOUR PLANS HAVE CHANGED AND YOU CANNOT ATTEND THIS CONCERT!

Our seats are very good, in the front part of the orchestra (main floor), about a third of the way back. The spectacular and prized balcony seats of the past are no longer open for seating, unfortunately.

The seats are $49.60 each (a 20% discount), or $99.20 for two. I'm finally calling for your payment now, having delayed earlier because I only had to make a deposit and it was too long between making reservations and having to pay Strathmore. Even so, one kind soul has already sent me his check!

The people going are me, Gary (as always!), Thebes (ditto), Colonial Hoo, Skonopa, past attendees Cheryl and Bill, and Jim and Bridey, and, new to this adventure, Sherry and Warren, and Sharon, a friend.

The concert starts at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday May 4, 2013, at Strathmore hall. As I said, dinner will start promptly at 5:15 p.m. at the Black Market.

I will be sending all of you e-mails in short order.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

This concert is a week from tomorrow night, and we're all set! Tickets in hand and everybody has sent checks, which continues the 100% timely cooperation that makes these a breeze to put together!

Uh, I do have to confirm meals reservations at the Black Market Bistro, which I'll do tomorrow.

I could probably squeeze in any late joiners, but let me know ASAP.

Larry

Dee,

The excellence of the local orchestras, and the locations and people I work with at the music hall and restaurant and the quality and follow-through of Klipsch buddies and friends, make it a breeze and and struggle-free to come up with good events. It's a long trip from AR unless you're in the 'hood for something else.

Maybe Dave Mallette could suggest a good event here or there, and the Dallas symphony has a good rep (https://www.dallassymphony.com/season-tickets/subscriptions/13-14-ti-classical-series.aspx) .

You have to know the classical music literature to choose the best concerts, and I probably have an advantage there.

Great, Jeff. Others and I would be glad to finally meet you. There's a Baltimore Sym perf. of The Planets on Friday, November 8, that has caught Gary's eye, so I may fish around for takers. Our Planets concert a few years ago was the highlight of these, by everyone's comments.

The BSO tickets will probably cost a bit more, but we can sit in those terrific side balcony seats if we're lucky. The BSO is often an even better orchestra than the National Philharmonic, and will probably cut back less on the fascinating variety of instruments.

So, let me ask -- is anyone up for The Planets on Friday Nov. 8, at 8:15 p.m. at Strathmore?

It would probably run me $1,000+ by the time I flew up and back, stayed in motel, had some extraneous fun, etc. That's sort of the hang-up for me right now. I am devoting my funds toward a project that will be a career-shifter for me. After I turn it into a source of revenue instead of source of nothing but cash-out, I will definitely be heading up that way. Do you ever get symphonies with lots of thundering percussion?

That's a good guess, although my little Cape Cod house has a single guest room that I dole out to out-of-towners.

Good luck on your project!

The best symphonies often have huge percussion, but not everything with that are the best choices. The Planets has its share, and the incredible Tchaikovsky 4th, which we saw a few years ago, would satisfy you in spades. Meanwhile. the Houston Sym has been a notable orchestra for a long time, so maybe they have a winner coming up.

So, let me ask -- is anyone up for The Planets on Friday Nov. 8, at 8:15 p.m. at Strathmore?

I am SO in on this!!! "Mars - The Bringer of War" is, by far, one of my most favorite orchestral/classical pieces. I just friggan LOVE that and would love to see another performance of this!

Another thing that I saw in an e-mail that I just recently gotten is there is apperrently a performance of Carmina Burana on June 8th that I will more than likely also go up and see.

I am really looking forward to this upcoming weekend. With a concert tommorow at Empire to see Pain of Salvation and Kingscrow, as well as the Brahms concert on Saturday, I'll be able to scratch two itches. Been a long time since I've got to go see a good heavy metal show as well as a while since I've gotten to see a good symphony performance as well.