Help, tube amps!

maio

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and quite new to Klipsch as well. I just recently purchased a pair of RF-62's, to be honest I haven't quite liked them that much. That was until I borrowed a tube amp from a store in my town, and wow there was a big change!

So I'm now interested in purchasing a tube amp, I've been looking around for a while now and since I'm new to hi-fi in general it's hard for me to know what to look for.

What are you thoughts on China made amps in general? I feel as if I want to avoid them as much as I can and I'm really looking to get something either UK made or USA made.

Probably the biggest problem is that I'm on a budget (as a poor student) and I don't want to spend more than a $1000, preferably under if at all possible. I'm also from Sweden so it might be hard for me to buy anything used from the US.

Thanks,

Anthony

If you really don't know what you want, get a rebuilt Dynaco ST-70, a Scott or EICO integrated, or the like. No way you can go wrong at considerably less than a 1000 on any of these. They'll hold their value, and if you find that later you want to try something else you'll be both better educated and will be able to trade up.

In my case, totally happy for life with a Van Alstine Super PAS4i preamp and Dynaco ST-70. Easily get what I paid for them...but my son will be the one to do that if he wants.

Dave

I know you want to avoid Chinese made but I have a Yaqin MS-20L and it is definitely worth the price.

There is a guy in Canada that sells Yaqin products through ebay and covers the warranty, he also tests them before shipping.

If I hadn't got that I would have built one.

post-50360-13819824656048_thumb.jpg

Got to thinking about this...

Are there any truly BAD tube amps???

Within the price/performance curve of "not insane," hard to imagine how anything really bad could exist for long. People who want tubes have ears...

In the "insane" range, nobody would admit it if it sucked. [6]

Dave

Thanks a lot for all the replys guys, I really appreciate it.

Sorry about the first post, I did divide it into paragraphs, weird that it changed somehow.

If I were to get something like a Fisher or a Scott would that work as well as a new one? Also, is it anything special I need to think about when a refurbished one? I'm really new to the tube amp thing as I mentioned and appreciate all the information I can get.

I also think I might have a problem getting the Yaqin one, since I live in Sweden there might be an issue with shipping.

If I were to get something like a Fisher or a Scott would that work as well as a new one?

As well or better. Depends on condition. "If it sounds good, it IS good."

As with anything audio, it isn't a good idea to purchase anything you've never heard unless it comes to you recommended by ears you trust unequiviably.

OTOH, I personally have never heard a classic tube amp of any age that didn't sound really great in good condition.

IMHO, hard to go wrong on any tube amps recommended here. You are at the heart of Klipsch expertise and experience.

Dave

IMHO, hard to go wrong on any tube amps recommended here. You are at the heart of Klipsch expertise and experience.

That's why I posted here and not anywhere else :)

That's true, unfortunately after googling around the market for Fisher or Scott is slim to none here. So I would have to buy it without listening to it if I were to get one. Is there a specific model I should be looking for?

Ski Bum, I went with a Scott Amp ( the 299C ) with the hope that it would sound pretty good with my Cornscalas, after all the hoopla I've read about how great they sound. I found one on ebay, and had the seller send it directly to Craig at NOS Valves. When I finally received it and hooked it up I was at first Flabbergasted, then Gobsmacked, then ..........well I could go on and on but I'm sure you got the idea. Now remember these amps are over 50 years old and still kick major butt. I recently had a chance to test a modern Japanese "Leben" tube amp of about 32 watts (same as the Scott) with my Cornscalas. It sounded nice but a little diminished overall and the soundstage was much less than the Scott. My friend who brought the Leben over said he paid almost $7000 for it. I smiled - couldn't help it - and said "for that much you could have had 8 Scott amps". Fwiw, any of the Scott 299's as well as the LK 48's and LK72's and 233 models would be great for your speakers. Good luck whichever way you go!

Steve