Which speakers would be better.......?

tpg

Personally, I'd pick the KG4s over these 4.2s (if that's indeed what they are), mostly because of the condition. Those 4.2s look like they've been rode a little hard, but the 4's look mint. I have a pair of 4s, and they are great speakers for their intended purpose. I haven't heard the 4.2s, so I can't comment on them.

Doug

------------------

My System

By the apperance, the first pair look to be in better shape, but it's really hard to tell without really good pictures. You obviously can't try before you buy, but err on the side of caution if bidding. If you can get them for a resonable price, think of how much money it may cost to replace damaged components, if any, before commiting. We all would like to think that nothing will happen, but read some of the horror stories of shipping, and take another look. Nobody, I repeat nobody would admit if there was a problem with one or both of the speakers. Not to say that there will be, but as we all know, stuff happens. If one cabinet gets damaged in shipping, what will you get ? Extremely dissapointed. Will you be able to get it repaired to a pre loss condition ? Maybe ? Just my two cents.

i say the KG-4's, no question.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

The KG4's are the best choice between the 2 IMO. I just bought a pair as surrounds for my Cornwall II's and played them as mains for a night. The CW's are better speaks, but these are ready to stand-in if one were to fail. I think the others are the KG5.2's. They have an active 10" wofer and a 10" passive radiator.

There is a pair of KG5.5's on e-bay right now for around 3 bills. I think the 5.5's sound very similar to my KLF30's and the 30's kick butt. Unfortunately, they sometimes suffer the same glue failure as the 30's.

quote:

Originally posted by trespasser_guy:

If they didn't happen to make it here in one piece... ohhhhhh I'd die.

get it inssured. it is super cheap, what do you have to lose? just a few bucks, instead of a few 100 bucks Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

TP- (This flompy is for you!)

As far as I can tell, the KG4-s look a whole lot better than the 4.2s and frankly the guy selling the 4.2s would have been better served if he cleaned them up before taking his pictures...but hey may be an estate sales guy, and he really doesn't care.

I'v had my kg4s 15+ years and I the sound and the range is awesome, and like Doug, I know nothing about the 4.2s. I have a friend that has the 4.5s, but they dramatically changed the speaker configuration there. The nice thing about Kg4Xs is you would not have to buy a sub right away, if budget did not allow.

I'd suggest e-mailing the sellers and asking them to look for cracks in the surrounds on the passive radiator and the woofer. I beleive that the dry-rot problem is not necessarily a function of the quality of materials in Kg4 speakers, but more a result of exposure to elements (of course, that is my opinion). Direct sunlight and dry heat are powerfully destructive. The 4.2s look more than a mite rough, like they may have been stored in a garage or attic.

Of course mine would be better.I listed them here in a previous post..My 5.2's have a few scuffs ,easily touched up if picky..Also been in daily use.I love them but where i'm moving has a much smaller den.The 5.2's are still as great sounding as the day i bought them..And i will have them professionally packaged.

Make me an offer..Least you wont be buying from garage sale ebay artist..lol