Buying Help- Suggestions and Receiver Help

AmmarYasirA

Hey guys, Im looking at a home theater system and most definitely Klipsch... I want the RB-42 II theater system and I was comparing between the subwoofer Klipsch themselves suggested and another one that they have... They are suggesting the SW-308 with the system however the SW-115 offers more wattage and better sensitivity and frequency for the same amount of money... Can someone tell me which one I should go with and why? And also if wattage matters the most or not. I just want the best I can get with my money. This entire system will set me back around $1750 excluding receiver. So... Which receiver should I go with? I have looked at Onkyo and they seem to be very good, but I am not too familiar with sound systems as this one will be replacing the (almost) 9 year old sound system I have from Sony that started to go bad. At that time I just picked up whatever the sales rep at the time suggested me with the money I had. I do look forward to buying this as soon as I can, so any help would be great! Thanks! (I have this posted somewhere else, however I was suggested to post it here)

308 = 8" sub

115 = 15" sub

The 115 is going to dig deeper for movies, and it also sounds great musically, so I'd go with that one. I'm sure the 308 is going to have a good sound to it too, but it won't rumble as much in the low low end. Also, how much have you shopped around? I think you could get that package for a little less. Maybe not a lot less, but a little. Call all of the online authorized dealers and see who can give you the best price. If you've already done that, well, good on ya =^) Definitely go with the 115 tho.

• Moderators

I started out with a Velodyne CT-100 (10" with 100 watt amp) and upgraded to a Velodyne F1500 (15" with 250 watt amp) and it was a HUGE upgrade in the amount and quality of bass. I have since upgraded even further to (2) Velodyne HGS15's (15" with 1250 RMS / 3000 Peak amp) that I have used for my HT and have thoroughly enjoyed their performance with both HT and 2ch music. They are older subs but were $2500 each when new.

I recently purchased a Klispch RSW-15 and really like the sound of it. I will be listing one of my Velodyne HGS15's for maybe $600....or possibly listing both of my Velodyne HGS15's after some more testing if the single RSW-15 is adequate for my setup.

I don't have experience with the 308, but I am really enjoying the SW 115. I wanted the deeper end for movies and I was nervous that it would be boomy, but so far I have found it to be perfect for me as its very musical, but still gutsy enough to punch you in the chest when watching a movie. My two cents - I think you'd be very happy with the 115.

• Moderators

I forgot to conclude my thoughts on my post above....once I went to a 15" I just can't see myself going back down to a 10" or even a 12". Both the Velodyne HGS15 and the Klipsch RSW-15 are fantastic for both HT and for 2ch. You can't go wrong with either of them. Out of the two you listed, my vote is for the 15".

There is no such animal as an RB-42. Either you are looking at the RF-42, which is a floorstanding speaker, or an RB-41 which is a bookshelf. There is a pretty big difference in the two.

IMO, you might want to peice this together rather than buying a package system. Here would be a good system:

RF-62 II Fronts = $399 X 2 = $798

RC-62 II Center = $397

RS-52 II Surrounds = $311 X 2 = $622

Epik Legend Sub (Dual 12") = $399

Total price delivered = $2216. This system would kill the system you are looking at.

For the receiver I like the Onkyo TX-NR616 for a great price of $399. It has Audyssey DSX, good DAC (192/24 Burr Brown), 2 HDMI outs 8 in, 4K upscaling, THX certified, tons of internet music options like Pandora, dnla streaming,

edit: Please check to see if they have the firmware issues fixed. I was reading some reviews, and recent as July, they were having problems with the firmware and HDMI. I do not own this receiver, buy I do and have owned several Onkyo receivers.

Thanks so much for the help guys. I am trying to keep my setup WITH receiver around low $2k's...Sooo, that setup would be pushing it for me... However that setup DOES sound very nice...So if this setup of mine that I picked out sounds nice, how do I pair a good receiver with it? And which receivers do you guys reccomend I Get? I just threw Onkyo out there because I heard alot of good stuff about it. I just need a good receiver that will deliver the right sound setup for the speakers.

You might consider this package from a forum member. This would blow away the one you are considering and leave enough in your budget for a great receiver. Also it looks like you are both in the Atlanta area.......

Link

That is a good price on some great equipment. Add the Epik sub I mentioned above, and you about on budget. There is NO comparison between this system and the RB-41 and RF-42 systems you were looking at.