Everything updated to Reference....Now what receiver???

troy2003

I am still fairly new to the home audio thing. I started out with Klipsch quintet II with a Dayton Audio sub and have upgraded to klipsch rf-82's, an rc-52II, rb-61's and rs-42's. I am currently running an Onkyo ht-sr550 receiver from the ht-sr800 HTIB, this was my starter receiver for the quintets. I just dont think it is doing the job for the speakers I have upgraded to and I want some advice on where to get a good used receiver for no more than $400 or if anyone might be selling something that is perfect to complete the setup. My current receiver is only HDMI pass through, ect., ect...here is a link to what im running my current speaker setup with.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-SR800&class=Systems&p=f

I know its not a power issue, one thing i have learned is more power doesnt necessarily mean better sound. It seems it may be a frequency level downfall that is lacking. I have been seeing many receivers that cover a frequency range of 20Hz to 20kHz per channel; however the current receiver I am running does not show the frequency range that it covers. Also this receiver never had a room correction mic so everything was calibrated by ear, this could also be a major problem. Below is my current receiver specs for frequency range and power output.

Amplifier Section

Power Output -
Front L/R 110 W/Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Center 110 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Surround L/R 110 W/Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Surround Back L/R 110 W/Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC)
Dynamic Power 210 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
190 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
130 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) 0.9 % (Rated power)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 ohms)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
Output Level and Impedance 200 mV/470 ohms (Rec out)
Frequency Response 5 Hz–100 kHz/ +1 dB, -3 dB (Direct mode)
Tone Control ±10 dB, 50 Hz (Bass)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 100 dB (Line, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance 8 ohms–16 ohms

I have done alot of research and it seems my current receiver shows a glory rating of 110 watts @ 8 ohms 1 kHz. I would like to find a good used receiver with good constant power across the entire frequency range and if I do not find what I want used i was considering the Onkyo tx-nr717

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR717-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B007JOO4YS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354295831&sr=1-1&keywords=tx-nr717

Thoughts? Anybody selling what i may need? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole consistent power thing really just comes down to a room correction system.

I see two solutions. That is an excellent receiver you have listed and has a pretty good room correction system and would probably be your best bet now. On the other hand, you could be better off by adding an external amp and calibrating by hand with an SPL meter from Radio Shack or even an app on your phone. That would give you the opportunity to make more major and cheaper upgrades down the road because you should only ever have to replace your receiver or amp and never have to worry about turning it up.

It really depends on how or if you want to upgrade down the road. The onkyo would be better for you now, but I think having an external amp will be better for you in the future.

UPA-700 7x80 Watt

Well the 717 is on order and i should have it by saturday. Hopefully I can have it hooked up and setup by sunday to watch a quality blu-ray. I cannot wait to experience the difference that a quality rated AVR can yield along side finally having my theatre system Audyssey calibrated. Will the receiver also upgrade video quality? I ask because i am only running all HDMI sources direct to my tv with all audio sources connected via optical and coax because my current receiver does not support HDMI, only HDMI video pass through.

Will the receiver also upgrade video quality?

Only if your TV is 4k resolution compatible. However, with this new information you have given, your audio has more room to improve. I don't believe Dolby TrueHD and DTS MasterAudio can work over optical coax. So it would be a pretty big advantage to have support for those.

I dont think my ht-sr550 has Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio technology to begin with, so that will be a difference in itself. Also my Direct TV will only display 1080I so I was curious if the AVR would upconvert to 1080P, either way I think I am in for a pretty good sound quality change which was and is my mission. Thanks for all of the info tmassey!!

Dang!!!, bad timing...I will likely be running an Emotiva in the next two or three months if I want more out of my setup. I know my rb-61's and rf-82's could benefit well from an Emotiva pushing them from what I have learned and read.

Sorry I have so many questions, but one more. What are some other good trusted brands of amplifiers? Im looking for a 4 channel but I do not see an Emotiva 4 channel. Another edit, lol but after some research I may just invest in a UPA-500 here in a few months to run either my four surrounds (rs-42's and rb-61's) or my rf-82's and rb-61's.

you can run four channels on a five channel amp... you can also use two two channel amps. there is little that can not be done.

if you wait till the end of the year, many times emotiva goes on further discount... OR you can buy secondary market.

Ive read, and heard bi amping tends to be useless, i guess I could always power my rc-52 and rs-42's with the 500 and dedicate the AVR to the rf-82's and rb-61's. Or would I be better served sound wise the other way with the rf's and rb's on the 500 and rs's and rc on the AVR?

I am not sure if you would notice a difference with an external amp rated at 80 watts/ch. You may wanted to upgrade later and a stronger amp, like the XPA amps would grow with your system. I use stereo amps for my mains and center.

That was going to be my plan, well the UPA anyways, but if that may not yeild much difference I will run something stronger better suited for my needs when the time comes. So let me understand this, can I run say 3 speakers off of the external amp source and also run the remaining 4.1 off of the receiver? If I can will I also be able to run room correction after it is set up in this manner? and if so do I just run room correction like a normal setup?

Yes, and actually the XPA-3 was designed for this. Would give you 200 watts for your left, right, and center and your AVR should have plenty of power for the surrounds and rear surrounds. I think it's about 150$ more than the UPA-500 is, but for your needs, maybe a better value. If you plan listening to a lot of music, I definitely would really consider the XPA-3.

Derrick brings up a good point. You may want to do some research on the UPA vs XPA amps running Klipsch. I was somewhat under the impression that it won't make a huge difference when it comes to Klipsch because their speakers are so sensitive. Also keep in mind if you do get it and don't notice the difference you were looking for, Emotiva has a great return policy and just excellent customer service in general.