Everything updated to Reference....Now what receiver???

troy2003

Yea after re-running Audyssey again last night everything sounds amazing, my sub is a touch below half on the gain now ive just got to figure out what frequency to set it to so the bass isnt too sharp and has a smoother tone to it.

Awesome! Happy to hear things are turning out well for you! For a good test movie, I suggest Wall-E

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea after re-running Audyssey again last night everything sounds amazing, my sub is a touch below half on the gain now ive just got to figure out what frequency to set it to so the bass isnt too sharp and has a smoother tone to it.

Awesome! Happy to hear things are turning out well for you! For a good test movie, I suggest Wall-E

LOL, nice, that is on my to do list for this weekend then, thanks tmassey.

Another quick question...can i safely run an xpa-3 on my rf-82's and rc-52 II center also is there a trigger for power on with the xpa-3 or is it all manual power up?

rc-52 II center is 125 watts rms (500 peak) rf-82's 150 watts rms (600 peak)

I see this for the xpa-3 (bold underlined) but does it mean it can be set up to power up when the onkyo powers up?

Features
  • Modular channel design for increased separation and reliability.
  • Automatic 120/230 AC voltage detection and switching.
  • Switchable metering and status LEDs.
  • Fully protected from all fault conditions.
  • Soft start circuitry.
  • Advanced microprocessor operating system.
  • External trigger turn on.
  • Soft touch power switch.
  • 4RU chassis w/ solid 15mm milled aluminum faceplate.
  • IEC power inlet.
  • Output topology: discrete Darlington with On Semi output devices.
  • Input topology: dual differential with cross coupled active current sources.
  • Input: balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA), selectable.
  • Output: audiophile quality 5 way binding post.
  • Display type: dual color channel status indicators.

Yeah it will be safe, probably even safer because you won't have to worry about clipping. Just don't crank it up all the way for extended periods of times.

As far as the trigger, it will turn on and off automatically with your receiver, but only if your receiver has the trigger feature as well. It just takes an aux cord.

Word!!...sounds like it will work out great then. I was going to upgrade the t.v. but i got to thinking i might as well get the audio where i want it first and then i can look into an oppo and a t.v. upgrade, just torn between 60 "plasma and 60" samsung led 240 Hz with 720 CMR. But thanks again as always tmassey always good info man.

Judging from some of the screenshots that were posted here a few days ago, what the oppo is capable of is stunning. My tv is a Samsung and is about 3 years old and I think before I upgrade it, I'm going to get an oppo because that just might be enough. I recently picked up a new car so I'm a little short on spending, but if you grab an oppo, I look forward to hearing your review!

How are things going with your speakers? Are they sounding better the more you listen? I've noticed lately that the longer I listen to mine, the better they sound. It usually takes a few songs to get to that point and haven't decided if this is a good or bad thing yet, but it's kind of odd.

I was initially basing my music response off of directtv music channels. BAD IDEA! As soon as i streamed music wirelessly from my phone or the fiances phone, wow! Everything just had a much "fuller" sound to it if that makes sense. It just seemed to fill the room so much better with music from the phone or the pandora receiver app.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so now im looking towards an xpa-5 possibly instead of xpa-3, and its time to make a decision because i understand Emotiva ends the sale on January, 15th. My question is can I safely run the xpa-5 on my rb-61's rated at 100 watts and 400 watts peak, they are used as my surrounds. This would leave me running only my rear surround rs-42's from the Onkyo 717 and the remaining 5 from the xpa-5.

I would say so. Especially if you are using them as surrounds. Surrounds don't really seem to get that much of a workout.

I kind of figured as much I just wanted to play it safe, my HT continues to grow and the fiance just watches and shakes her head. Well i will update here in a month or less once everything arrives and is setup properly. I may need some assistance with how to set the Emotiva up for trigger voltage and how the Onkyo will link up to the Emotiva to route and run the speakers properly...this is new territory for me.

Yeah it will be safe, probably even safer because you won't have to worry about clipping. Just don't crank it up all the way for extended periods of times.

As far as the trigger, it will turn on and off automatically with your receiver, but only if your receiver has the trigger feature as well. It just takes an aux cord.

I forgot this post from previously for the trigger setup, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so the Klipsch rw-12d just came in....Im about to order my xpa-5 here in about a week, but i need to know what rca's i need from preouts to unbalanced input on the Emotiva. Is this all I will need?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

Also what 12v trigger will i need? mono or stereo? and it is the 1/8" 12v trigger cable right?

Emotiva includes a trigger cable with the amp. At least they were and did when I got mine a few months back. Those RCA's will be fine and monoprice is a great place to shop for interconnects....

So what is exactly meant by "interconnects"?, i was under the understanding that all i needed was unbalanced rca's to connect receiver and amp, trigger wire and speaker wire that i have banana plugs on....or am i misunderstood with external amp connection?