Jim Smith's set up techniques

juniper8

Was wondering if anyone has used his book "get better sound" or some of his techniques? Seems that he has set up a lot of systems for manufacturers at shows and some hear huge differences in their own set ups after doing so. After reading a bit about it and his "golden ratio" as far as speaker placement, the speakers are placed far into the room, which at looking at pictures on the web, very rarely do I see speakers placed in this manner.. Maybe this has to do with practicality... Thanks, for any input.

the speakers are placed far into the room, which at looking at pictures on the web, very rarely do I see speakers placed in this manner.. Maybe this has to do with practicality

A link to the book that you referenced: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Better-Sound-Jim-Smith/dp/0982080700/

This is clearly used in order to limit early reflections around the loudspeakers (you would need to do this at your listening position, too, in order to achieve what this guy is clearly trying to achieve), but this practice also dramatically increases bass distortion by not taking advantage of the room's boundaries.

See http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/154887/1631050.aspx#1631050

Was wondering if anyone has used his book "get better sound" or some of his techniques?

Absolutely! I was thrilled to get this book! [<:o)]

It's just the right thickness to tilt my La Scalas up a tad, to give me the best sound I've ever had! ........ rolling.gif

.......[;)]

Seriously though, if you find something in there that makes your set up sound better, fantastic! clap.gif

I've not read the book, but I've seen it advertised a lot. [:$] So, it seems to be working for Jim! [^o)]

Dennie drinkingcheers.gif

I bought this book not too long ago so I haven't had a chance to look through it much. It is not so much a book to read start to finish but multiple subjects from which you can pick and choose. Can't hurt to try some of his tips and they don't cost anything but my time and effort at this point since I already paid for the book. I really need to attack my room problems!