Frequency balance adjustment by remounting the La Scala tweeter?

Boomzilla

I guess that if the entire musical source was all recorded at the SAME TIME instead of laying down separate tracks, then mixing them all down into a pair or stereo tracks...the time-delay difference MAY be audible to SOME people.

Our brains are remarkabley resilient in how they translate what our ears hear combined with what our body mass picks up, then mixes this down into what we THINK we are hearing. I also truly believe that these same brains account for differences in time delays in MOST cases so that we will rarely notice the differences unless they are quite pronounced.

Furthermore, I am sure that our brains also tend to account for our fondness for particular frequencies and/or preferences for these frequencies being picked up directly from the sound source or as reflected soundwaves, according to what we have pre-concieved as the way things SHOULD sound. This latter statement may account for differing individual tendencies towards off-axis sound frequency adjustments we TEND TO DESIRE over a tested flat response from the speakers when in an "ideal" acoustical environment (anechoic chamber, for instance)..

Here is an analogy:

1. You like Mom's cooking best...even though you also like the same items prepared differently...but the standard you judge things by as better or worse goes back to the "Mom's cooking" baseline.

2. You listened to speaker brand "X" for years because it sounded great to you when playing music you preferred in a particular listening environment. Then, you did one of the following: You moved to a new place and could never get your brand "X" speakers to sound the same (due to environment change), OR you bought speaker brand "Y" because they "were better" and moved them into the original listening environment. Take either one of these changes...or both...and you find yourself constantly trying to change either the speakers or the environment, or both to make them sound like what you were perfectly happy with before you moved or "knew better." IOW, your baseline for reference of "better" or "worse" is dictated by your original speakers in their original listening environment, all other things being the same.

Here is another bit of food for thought: If you spend a majority of your time wearing headphones, then you are probably more likely to notice a millisecond or two change in the driver alignment of the speakers you listen to when the headphones are off your ears. The "Golden" goal of speaker design is to produce a single source one-way speaker that covers all of the audible frequencies perfectly with a perfectly flat response. Until this happens, we have to play with things to get closer to that goal using multi-way speakers. And...our own brains will be getting in our way with their memories of "what we like best" and the brains' attempts to adjust things our senses pick up in an attempt to make things look, feel, or sound "right" to us.

-Andy

The Brain is a marvellous thing when it functions...mine does most of the time and one of those times was mounting the K77 in the vertical position. That to me was the best improvement I noticed with the K77...it became sweeter and more focused which enhanced the overall response of the Khorn

Cheers

If PWK were alive today I suspect he would disagree with the author (PWK) as he has done in other cases.

It's a cute way of saying 'I stand corrected'.

Flush-mounting the horizontal K77 makes it sound very similar to being vertical mounted. The vertical mounting reduces the ripples in response in the horizontal plane, but they are still there in the vertical plane. They go away with flush mounting.

From the polars (long-axis vertical), 4Khz H155­° x V155°, 8Khz H90° x V105°, 16Khz H60° x V60°. Flush mounted (newer Klipsch style) the pattern flips, so it would have better dispersion at 8Khz in the horizontal plane, and no ripples. This is why Klipsch went to the trouble to use the 'Z' brackets on the later Klipsch, and went to the new flush-mount horn on the current variants of the K77.