Center for Heresy Fronts and Surrounds?

wlg235

I'm thinking about throwing the RS-3's back on the wall and pulling one of the other Heresy's up from to try asthe center. I think that's the best way to determine how another Heresy will sound in place of the existing RC-3. Although...there's 5 years vintage between the HOL fronts and the earlier HDBR's.

Better than the 30 year difference between the RC-3 and your Heresys!

I use an Academy with my two Heresy speakers. I don't believe the Academy sounds different. In fact, there are several reasons an Academy works better than a Heresy for me as a Center:

1. I have a Rear Projection CRT TV. So, I need the special magnets the Academy has to avoid electrical interference.

2. The total distance between my left and right Heresy speakers is 12 feet. So, the Academy blends in well.

3. I mostly notice the Academy during sports broadcasts where the announcers voices come through the center channel. The Academy reproduces voices quite well.

The Academy does great as a center channel and keeps up with the Chorus IIs really well. Of course 3 of the exact same speaker sounds the best, but if we are in the Heritage (or extended Heritage) lines, the Academy and KLF-C7 are the "center channels" that work the best. I like both and they seem to match into the system well.

Off topic, but:

I'm using a new Pioneer SC-65

(swapped out my problem ridden Anthem MRX-500) to drive

everything...

I've heard alot of good press on the MRX series, what kind

of issues were you having?...

ROb

Lock up issues where the receiver needed to be unplugged to

free the problem. Complete loss of audio under different listening modes,with

the receiver needing to be unplugged to correct the problem. Dead Component

Input Channel.

I'm not a technically challenged person…and I rode out the

growing pains of the line for almost 2 years. 3 different receivers exhibited

similar issues, and the 3rd had a completely dead input channel. My retailer

gave me the option to swap into another manufacturer, after receiving a rash of

complaints from other customers as well. He suggested the Pioneer based on what

I was using for speakers, and I couldn’t be happier. The Anthem didn’t have the

presence that the Pioneer has. They’re night and day.

So I had a lead on a pair of 86 Heresy II's at a fantastic price, and the seller "may" be interested in taking a pair of older Polk Monitor 4's off my hands in the deal. The II's would end up as either the mains with an 81 Heresy I as the center or continuing with the 81's as the mains and a II as a center and the second as a spare or used as a back channel later.Thoughts?

[:^)]

I didn't have the money to do it...but found a way (it was a deal I couldn't pass up). I think I really pushed the limits of the center channel shelf. I just finished watching Ice Age Continental Drift on Blue Ray. Absolutely Amazing! I got a little creative with the badge... [:)]

CenterI_zps5cc329d4.jpg

Center_zps1d443005.jpg

I'm working on cleaning up the finish, replacing the gaskets and whatever else is needed on the unused speaker. Then I'll swap them to do the same to this one. They've got black finish, so I'm not as concerned with the littlest details like the HOL's and HDBR's. I never in a million years, dreamed that I'd have 6 Heresy's to play with... [:D]

Thank you to everybody for pushing me in this direction. I don't think that I could be happier [Y]

Walt

The center is pretty much in line with the inside corners of my fronts, which pretty much creates a gentle arc directing the the sound at my listening position. I'm using a Velodyne HGS-12 for my sub, in a room that's roughly 14' wide by 16' long. No lack of base in this set-up. The Pioneer MCACC actually set the sub output gain to -12 db with the onboard sub output set at less than a 1/3rd power. With 6 Heresy's and the RS-3's that used to be my surrounds...I'm brain storming a new set-up for the furniture in the living room. [*-)]

Since I have an additional Heresy that's not being utilized in my HT as a permanent placement...I'm considering implementing it in an as needed configuration. I'm thinking of placing it where it should be, if it were located properly behind my seating position (which puts it basically into my dining room since I'm not moving the furniture)...running the MCACC, and then tucking it out of the way when I don't need it (if not needing it isn't blaphamous). Thoughts?

Walt

• 3 weeks later...