My new La Scalas

mburgess

I just got a new to me pair of La Scalas yesterday. Of course, I couldn't wait to start messing with them. I'm not sure what year they are, as the previous owner covered them in carpeting, which ruined the ID sticker on the back. They have removable tops, and the doghouse access is in the HF area. I plan on closing in the HF area with a ported panel to help with the bass - see pics.

post-35987-1381982686234_thumb.jpg

Ported back cover. The glue is drying now. I can't wait to try these bad boys out and see what a difference it makes!

Update: I installed the ported covers.

No graphs, but a marked improvement in bass - highly recommended mod, especially when it's as easy as it is with my speakers.

I remember someone saying that top access woofer dog house were on 1971 and earlier models. And, yes, those are perfect for the ported mod, no routing to do.

Ported back cover. The glue is drying now. I can't wait to try these bad boys out and see what a difference it makes!

Update: I installed the ported covers.

No graphs, but a marked improvement in bass - highly recommended mod, especially when it's as easy as it is with my speakers.
Did you guess on the size for the port, or did you make the equiv. to two 7 inch long 4 inch diameter ports? What you show looks way too large.

Bruce

The 7 inches will probably give you a little more snappy/quick bass like a normal LS but lower. I think a single larger port will not actually work the same a two smaller ones, so you may really need to adjust some.

I like it...

Bruce

Yeah, that's half the fun is trying things out. I'll probably break out the saw to shorten the ports eventually.

My (limited) understanding of ports was that it was just the area. I haven't seen a detailed scientific analysis of the port size for this type of mod - but I'm sure it exists. Anybody have a link?

Why does it look like the tweeter peed on the mid-horn? I assume it works?

Ya know - I was wondering the same thing. It works just fine. Are these fluid filled at all? If not, I'm guessing something got spilled on top and happened to go in the front where the tweeter mounts.

I believe there is ferro-fluid in there, but I can't tell you what a leak might mean, or be caused by. Some people apparently remove ferro-fluid from their drivers, but I don't know why.

If it sounds good, it is good. My '73 Scalas also have the top doghouse access covers, so now I need to look more closely at this mod.

Yeah, even with the limited time I have comparing, I would recommend it. I need to spend more time tweaking the length and sealing the top chamber to get the most out of the mod.

It should be noted that I went with the plywood port just because I had some laying around. PVC seems like it would be super simple and clean.

Matt

While Klipsch didn't put ferro-fluid in their version of the EV T35, others--such as Speakerlab--did. In speakers that old, the tweeters could have been replaced several times.

That said, I vote for the external spilled liquid--probably beer--theory.

The PVC pipes are sooo much easier, but DIY is for fun, not ease. Enjoy.