Should I put new crossovers in my LaScalas?

crouse

I bought some LaScalas about 4 weeks ago. The seller had replaced the tweeter diaphrams with EVs. He replaced one capicitor in one of the crossovers, otherwise everything is original. I like the sound but haven't heard any other Klipsch speakers in 30+ years. I kind of feel that if it ain't broke don't fix it, but am wondering if new crossovers would make a difference in the sound.

Thanks

I agree. The autotransformers are fine. Depending on their age, sound can be improved by recapping with fresh caps of the proper value which will essentially restore them to factory spec. Caps over 20 years old have usually drifted off spec and become resistive. No need for boutique caps at all. IMO.

After listening to the near factory spec sound you want something different, you've got an excellent base line for comparison with high dollar caps. Having fresh caps in my own vintage crossovers has astonished me with the improvement in sound for so little money. It's a bang for the buck champ, IMO.

BEC (Bob Crites) on this forum has cap kits available on Ebay or direct transaction. He also does turn key jobs if desired.

congrats on the La Scalas! enjoy!

You didn't mention what year your La Scalas were?

But YES! I replace my original crossovers in my 1979 La Scalas and it was like taking a blanket off of my speakers. The music became clear and everything sounded so much better. ....and the BASS? WOW! It was now full and rich and warm and and and....!

I too wonder if they could possibly sound any better. Boy, was I missing out.

YES!! Update, replace. Whatever needs to be done to bring them back to factory specs or better.

I bought Bob and Michael Crites Type A/AA convertible crossovers, after reading that the A Type were better with tubes. I run SS amps and use them as Type AA, but if I ever go tubes, I can switch a couple of wires and run Type A.

Here's the link to Bob and Michael's site --------> CLICK HERE

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Thanks.Can anybody describe the difference in sound quality I should expect from a re-cap?

Thanks

What year are your La Scalas?

With mine, it was like taking a BLANKET off of the speakers. Really, a big difference! yes.gif

I too wonder if I should spend $300 for new crossovers. How could it sound any better, I asked myself!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! It was the BEST $300 I've spent on audio gear......EVER!

Dennie

If you don't know what year they are, how about the serial numbers?

They should be stamped into the top of the back board, where it meets the opening for the squawker/tweeter. They may be hard to read. But will help identify what year they are.

Dennie

Here is a photo of the original Type AA, in my 1979 La Scala. The Serial number is on the back board, right in front of the crossover...

Klipschpics005.jpg

I know you can't see the serial number, but it is stamped in the top of the back board on the edge. To the left of where the speaker wire is going in.

Yes, I now have ends on the wires and screws to hold them down! [;)]

Dennie

Replacing the crossovers on my Belles was one of the most significant improvements I have made to my system. I originally replaced with a Crites rebuild and the results were dramatic. Ended up having Dean build Vcap super AA's and the results were stunning.

Josh