I have been going through my system....

K5SS

Need a little assistance from you more knowledgable people.

Wanting to upgrade my Pioneer SC-35. I almost ordered a XPA-5 but decided to talk to you guys first. I am wondering if I should just buy a new shiny receiver with all the new bells and whistles instead? I would say my budget it is around $1,500. I kind of like the mid-level Marantz receivers but I just am not sure if they would be an upgrade or not.

I know this topic has been beaten to death but after reading countless threads, I am still undecided... I don't want to just throw money away either. What are your thoughts?

Are you looking for any special features? I don't think a mid grade avr will be a step up. If you want more power and just like amps, get the xpa or some other amp. Two subs are nice for the HT. The SC 68 is the new kid on the block with all the bells and whistles. Interesting enough, home theater's bench test showed more power for the SC37/35 with 5 channels driven.

Do your self a favor and spend the extra 200 for the additional two channels and get the xpa-5. So to me if you wanted the bigger amp it will help with low volume dynamics. You got a great sub, a second never hurts if you have room but I would say after an amp maybe it's time into looking to make the most obvious move and getting some higher speakers in the ladder???? That would be what I would shoot for. I upgraded from the rf-82 HT to the rf-63ht and holy cow! Hands down best improvement. And then came the emotiva gear! And it was like the same feeling all over again.

This is kind of what I wanted to hear. I am going to order the XPA-5. Speakers are next. I will be going with the RF-63 and RC-64 combo but they will have to wait a few months. The Rythmik, oppo and emotiva have taken their toll on my poor little checking account, haha

After reading all of the great reviews of the rf-63's though, has me thinking. I wish I could listen to them before I purchase though..

Just step out on faith, the RF-63's are an incredible pair of speakers that IMO, are the most 3-way sounding 2-way speakers in the Klipsch arsenal. I have been afforded many opportunities locally to "upgrade" to RF-83's and RF-7's at very affordable prices, but opted out every time. I like the 63's that much.

Of course this is one guys opinion but they are just so smooth and dynamic with very tight bass.

Bill

I've really enjoyed the 2 Yamaha avr's I've owned. Very clear and musical. I have been intrigued w/ Marantz as well. I have read some say they are a bit soft, but I can't confirm that with personal experience.