Should have posted this question about 2 horns over here

The Dude

I know I am heading down a path many have done, the reason is I see those K402 horns up for sale. Which at this time doesn't look like I will be able to afford. So I am looking for alternatives. But here is what was started in the 2 channel section.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/170313.aspx

Looking for any input on this, I would like to stick with a passive crossover but if I have to I will go active.

Rudy thanks for posting and will check out the links. I know I should
have probably posted in the updates and mod section. But at least I
have some stuff to get me started. Bob says its hard to tell unless you
actually hook them up and try. Rudy the crossover you are using is
electronic, do you bi amp with it as I wanted to stay away from that for
now but if I have to I will.

Each one of my drivers has its own amp....I am actually tri-amped on each main speaker if you count the individual subwoofers.

If you want to stay with a passive crossover you will be limited by the configuration of the crossover, which may limit what drivers and bass bins you might use.

When I was experimenting with my La Scalas, Khorns etc, I started out changing out horns and drivers as you are doing. I eventually had to move to an active crossover to give me the flexibility I needed when mixing and matching HF and LF configurations.

Man, I know how you felt in one of your post about your head starting to hurt. As I get to thinking maybe I should start with digital processing, and get some sort of testing setup going. I just have a hard time understanding a lot of this filters, and crossover stuff. I don't think my system sounds bad, I just have that what if. Its kind of like when adding the McIntosh amp how much better things sounded, so maybe some different horns knowing that the Altec 511 doesn't go all the way down to 400. Any way I can go back and change the post title to help getting measurement readings to better my system. Man oh man, I am now on the 3rd page of of the P. Audio one.

I remember! What I can say is that I learned quite a bit and got a tremendous amount of help from all the folks on the forum. It took a couple of years and a lot of listening and testing, learning and reading to get here. I firmly believe that what we each like in the listening experience is different for each of us. I went through many drivers, horns, speakers, crossovers and combinations before settling on what I have now. The only other system I have heard that I liked more than what I have now is a pair of Oris horns with 8" AER drivers IIRC. Those really blew me away.

I also learned that for me, bass bins that sound like a Cornwall are my preference....and I have owned every Heritage bass bin and gone to Hope to listen to Roy's Jubilee setup. That preference led me to building JC's DBB. I love the sound and impact of those direct radiators.

Along the way I also found that I could not detect any meaningful difference in sound quality between my relatively expensive Parasound HALO amplifiers and modern pro gear. Amazingly, I am very content with Behringer EP4000 amplifiers which many people dislike and claim they are terrible amps. I have had good luck with all of mine. Although I am using a QSC PLX amp for my main HF section, every other amp is a Behringer EP4000. Selling one of my HALO amps paid for all the Behringers and then some. I guess my ears just aren't up to par, but it works for me :-).

Whatever you do, enjoy the journey.

Duder... if it will help you...

One of my actives is back out on the road again. (the little tramp!)

Sending it off to Seti so he can make some final decisions for himself. He is anticipating on using it for about a month. If you want to play around with it, I can have him send it to you when he's done and when you're done, you can send it back to me. (my guess is about $30/40)

It doesn't have any XLR adapters with it so that might be another issue for you. It doesn't have a power cord but, he said he had an extra one and would toss it into the box. I don't have a need for the cord because I bought a split power cord that split into two lines. I have both Dx's plugged into the single cord.

No pressure....honest offer. I was actually using it in my system when he asked me about trying it. So, until typing these words now, he didn't realize that I had to take things apart to send it out (my guess is he would not have taken it had he known).

That's ok by me since I'm in this dinky apartment.... I don't need the Danley subs pounding away with the Jubilee's. Removing the Dx and sending it out did nothing more than take the Danley's out of circulation....and they were not getting used much anyway (out of respect to my neighbors....frankly, I'd LOVE to crank Toccta & Fugue in D minor once)

Seti has yet to receive the Dx so there is time. If you're interested, let me know and we'll get him your address to ship it to. If not, he can send it back to me and I'll plug it back in.

Coytee, I appreciate the offer. But I haven't even taken any reading, which as I get to thinking about it is something I should do first. So I need to figure out what I need for equipment, as I know there are some threads on the subject. I think I am a little early on going active, and I know it is important when trying to tweek and eq your system to match your room. But I looked at the price of that unit, and man if I borrowed that and broke it I wouldn't know how to replace it. Like I said thanks for the offer but I am going to take it one step at a time. I just need to figure what I need for a mic, and how to get REW on my laptop with Vista which seems to be a problem with lots of programs I try to put on there. I have even thought about one of the minidsps, I see they have mic that works with REW, maybe I will look into that a little more.

thanks

Nick

Well for some reason, I now was able to get REW on my laptop step one complete. Now I just need a mic, as I have a external sound card. So will go for one of those usb models. Wish me luck, Rudy I did read through your post and found lots of them helpful. By chance do you still have any of the horns or drivers for sale.

Sorry, I no longer have any of those horns or drivers. One of the nice things about playing with this stuff is that hardware is generally easy to find used and easy to sell. I was always willing to pay a few bucks in the deal to get to play with different gear. Good luck.

But I haven't even taken any reading, which as I get to thinking about it is something I should do first

If you mean a reading on your room for treatments.... I'd suggest a two prong approach. First would be to "get the speakers right" and second, get the room right.

Regardless... Seti only received the Dx yesterday and said he might want it for about a month or so.

If you change your mind, let me know.

Sorry, I no longer have any of those horns or drivers. One of the nice things about playing with this stuff is that hardware is generally easy to find used and easy to sell. I was always willing to pay a few bucks in the deal to get to play with different gear. Good luck.

I see exactly what you are taking about, I am going to try and sell some stuff this weekend. Mainly cause I know if I buy these horns and drivers, I will need a second amp and processor. So I might give Coytee's a test run.

But I haven't even taken any reading, which as I get to thinking about it is something I should do first

If you mean a reading on your room for treatments.... I'd suggest a two prong approach. First would be to "get the speakers right" and second, get the room right.

Regardless... Seti only received the Dx yesterday and said he might want it for about a month or so.

If you change your mind, let me know.

Not so much for room treatments, but I have all ways felt. That knowing the Altec 511 doesn't go below 500hz,(though I do have the K-55-v on them), and wanted to just see the frequency response on this system. I think that if I see there isn't to many issues in the 400-500 range that it wouldn't be in my head for the need to upgrade right now and I could just be happy with what I have for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rudy,

When you threw that P. Audio ph4525/bmd750 combo in your Klipschorn, Did you do anything to your crossover or were you at that time using a active as well.

I did not start messing with two way until after I went active. I don't know enough about passive crossovers to mess with them. At the time I had Al's ALK upgrade on my Khorns, so I sold them to fund my active purchase.

Unless you can build and modify your passive crossovers, I don't think you can really get much out of changing out horns and such since you won't be able to control crossover points.

ALK makes the crossover that work for a 2 way with various XO points

AP12 line you can pick a crossover point as listed by part #

Woofer to squawker boards 
      AP12-350, AP12-500, AP12-600 or AP12-700 ....  
 beauty of these is that you also add the squawker/tweeter board later
 Then place a switch on them & toggle 3 way to 2 way 
 I have the AP12-500  B&C DE750TN-16 2" driver , Crites 15" cast AL woof & the Eliptrac-400 
the graph on those was described as really flat  
 I like the 2 way sounds great !  
 ( ALK has even designed  a XO for a Crites 12" woofer ,Eliptrac horn for a CS1.5 type speaker )