Klipsch or Energy

durhambird

Hi all,

I'm currently running Klipsch RF 42II for my fronts with an Onkyo 601 AVR. The RF 42's just don't move enough air and sound thin. I was thinking of upgrading to the RF62's but I got a chance to get a pair of Energy RC 70's for $625 cash. I've got A RC52 for a center and RB 41II for surrounds. I've read some good reviews of the RC70's. Apparently one of the last lines of Energy before Klipsch took them over.

Thank You,

John

The Energy is a very nice speaker. I am assuming the cash part of your post means it is nearby. Go take a listens and see what condition they are in. Do you have a sub? A sub to fill in bottom for the 42's or most other towers will go a long way to improve the sound of the system..

Yes I have a 10 inch Energy sub, don't remember the model name. The setup is in an medium to large open style basement. It's used for gaming and home theater but I'm primarily concerned about music. I listen to mainly classic rock and blues using sacd, cd, bluray and high resolution flac files.

Thanks

i dont understand why everyone just say the rf-42ii's sound thin? i think they freakin rock for their price point. and i have them in a medium sized room. 16x12. i just got a pair of wf-35's from newegg, and for the 599 price tag brand new they are pretty badass i think they even have them once in a while for around 540 a pair. but i can tell you music wise if you are wanting something special the wf-35 is a whole new ball game over the reference series for me. look up the couple reviews out there on them. i bought mine strictly for a 2 channel rig. i can't wait to get them broken in a rocking.

"Whole new ball game over the reference" Are you referring to the 42's or the 63's? That's a bold claim considering that they come from a lower line. I'm intrigued by your opinion and am very curious as to your comparing the 42 vs 63 against them and which one your referencing if not both.

i dont understand why everyone just say the rf-42ii's sound thin? i think they freakin rock for their price point. and i have them in a medium sized room. 16x12. i just got a pair of wf-35's from newegg, and for the 599 price tag brand new they are pretty badass i think they even have them once in a while for around 540 a pair. but i can tell you music wise if you are wanting something special the wf-35 is a whole new ball game over the reference series for me. look up the couple reviews out there on them. i bought mine strictly for a 2 channel rig. i can't wait to get them broken in a rocking.

but i can tell you music wise if you are wanting something special the wf-35 is a whole new ball game over the reference series for me. look up the couple reviews out there on them

May be over the lower end of the reference series music wise but it won't stand a chance against RF-7 II. Anyhow, for over 4-5x the price, no one expects it to [:)]

After you've broken in your WF-35, do let us know why it compares to your RF-63 [:D]

Ok first off let me clarify by "new ball game" meaning an entirely different sound. Trev let me also say i have not side by sided these with my rf-63's because they are packed up. however when i had the wf-34's i side by sided those with my 63's and much more preferred them over my 63's with mellow music. the main reason that i think they sound so much difference is the horn. it has a different dispersion pattern and has better off axis response. at the same time i feel like they also have a much wider deeper soundstage to them. that is the reason i wanted a pair for music in my 2 channel rig. now dont get me wrong, on days when i want to listen to some heavy metal or at an insane volume, i will go to the 63's first. but if not doing that, for any other kind of music, these wf-35's are my new favorite speaker of the klipsch line that i have owned or heard. and for 599$, they are a steam, IMHO of course.

i went for a listening session with the new rf-7ii's and i thought they were ok at lower volumes, but when cranked they just became waaay too forward for my taste. and according to klipsch they retail for 1600 a piece. the wf-35 retailed for 1500 each. now i have always been told that was a mis print and was 1500 a pair. but either way the icon w line was an expensive line for people that were wanting a speaker to "Look as good as it sounds". and i can tell you i have owned both colors. besides some really high end stuff, the finish on the line up is one of the best i have ever seen! they are just stunning to look at.

Yeah. The MRSP is actually $1,500 a pair. For the going price of $600 a pair now, WF-35 is hard to beat for both sound and beauty. Is it the expresso color you have in the picture? It looks really dark, almost like black in dim light. How the cabernet color? It really stands out as more refined and gorgeous standing next to the RF-42 II [H]

Those in the picture are the espresso. I wanted them cause they were darker but I have owned both and the Cabernet is actually a nicer color but for me to be happy you would have to have them around black furniture only. With the espresso they wil look good next to a lot more colors.

Hmmm. This thread really has me thinking... I have been waiting for the RF-63 and a RC-62 to pop up local to go buy but after visiting newegg, I can have the WF-35, WC-24 and 4 WS-24's for fight around $1,500 shipped.! They look allot more furniture quality than my RF-3's and RC-3. I really am thinking about pulling the trigger. A 7.1 Cabernet Klipsch Icon system might sound and look like the right setup for me.

I will say that for 1500 it would be a fine system. But to me if it were your only

Home theater system, the downfall would be the center channel. If I was gonna build a system around these speakers I would buy three wf-35's for an LCR setup. If you could swing It of course.

So you think the icon center is inferior to the RC-3? I know how important the center speaker is so now I am re thinking.. I would have no problem replacing the icon center with a WF-35 but I t could only go under my TV and I could really worry about the horn being located to one side of the TV.

I will say that for 1500 it would be a fine system. But to me if it were your only

Home theater system, the downfall would be the center channel. If I was gonna build a system around these speakers I would buy three wf-35's for an LCR setup. If you could swing It of course.

Agreed. Although placement of that center tower can be a real bugger. I've ran an RB35 as a center with my RF25's, the larger albeit single 8" woofer in the RB35 held up quite well with the smaller but dual 6.5" woofers in the 25's. BUT, the best part was that it sat nicely beneath my TV on a table and I didn't have to reconfigure anything to get a taller tower to fit beneath the already wall mounted TV. Laying a tower on its side has always looked weird to me. With the exception being one of this forums members that has an RF7 that he rebuilt to have the horn in the center with the woofers flanking it. That looks good to me. Like a super steroid version of an RC7.

So you think the icon center is inferior to the RC-3? I know how important the center speaker is so now I am re thinking.. I would have no problem replacing the icon center with a WF-35 but I t could only go under my TV and I could really worry about the horn being located to one side of the TV.

i have never heard the rc-3. but i assuming that is a prior version of the rc-62, and having owned that one before i can say that the wc-24 would have a hard time comparing to the output of an rc-62. however that is not saying it is a bad center channel. i can say that the one i sold to my buddy is being powered by the same denon i have in my living room and he watches movies around -10db on the volume and he loves it. i am just spoiled by my rc-64 powered by an xpa-5. that is hard to compete with. but i do know that the w series is a joy to listen to at his house due to the off axis response. he has a big sectional and it sound great no matter where you sit at on it. also helps i just set him up with dual subs too! woooooo wooooo