Pioneer Receivers

iDunno

I havent heard much about Pioneer on this forum so i have some questions.

I have figured out that i am getting(maybe) a Pioneer VSX-D811S because there is alot of value in it because you get DDex and DTSes. for only 400.

are pioneer receivers a good choice or is there another choice to choose.

How about this kenwood:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-aiOwetwoSVa/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420&I=113VR6060&o=p&a=0

I found that the Pioneer Receivers are also sold under the RCA brand name at Radio Shack. Although I didn't buy the model you're interested in, it is definitely the same line.

I bought the RCA STAV-3990 on sale at Radio Shack and it seems to be identical to the Pioneer VSX-D710S.

It sounds pretty good and I'm pleased with it, but I'm no expert. I replaced a Kenwood because the Kenwood had crappy push-down connectors for the rear speakers (on the model I had) and one broke off.

The rear panel connections on the Pioneer/RCA seems pretty well thought out with all speaker connections having binding posts which accept banana plugs. Also two component video connections and 3 digital audio connections.

I also like the "plus" setting for bass. That way I can run my front speakers as large and still get LFE sent to my subwoofer.

Anyway, good luck.

well for $400 your getting an afforable reciver, i have the PIONEER VSX-37TX elite , now it sounds amazing , im running RSW 15 sub , KSP400 mains, KSP-S6's rears two sets for (EX) and a RC-7 center, now the only diffrence from your $400 pioneer probably is, S-VIDEO inputs or Power... and a few other features i had a lower pioneer before this one and there was a BIG difrence in sound ... you get what you pay for basicly...

I dont really need video inputs/outputs because i save money and time by connecting the dvd and vcr directly to the tv instead of to the receiver then to the tv.

i dunno why people want to spend more money and connect the dvd video to the receiver then to the tv.

Can testify to quality of Pioneer Recievers, been one in my family for 30 + years without a problem. Remember crankin it up when we were kids too. Got myself a vsx-47 tx when I jumped back into sound this year. Have some friends who use Pioneer products and they seem very satisfied.

Dan

well the reason people spend more mony on S-VIDEO in/out puts on recievers is that your tv only has to be on one input, example LINE 1 , your reciever will do all the video switching if you have multiple video sorces, like i do , i have vcr, 2 dvd's, laser disk , others have sateligt dishes, now a tv wont have that many inputs for S-video , so from your reciver all you have to hook up to the tv is 1 s-video...one day when you get more advanced or your Home theater gets bigger you'll understand... cwm12.gif

You should run your DVD, VCR ect directly to the reciever. I find in my bedroom, the DVD player ounds bad (VERY BAD) when using the line outs from the TV.

-------

I would take a Pioneer over a Kenwood anyday. Now, if power is a problem, the pioneer will crank more then the Onkyo600. Pioneer 811s= 74 WPC, all driven. (err something like that.) Onkyo600=34 wpc, all driven.

Now with klipsch, the QUALITY is more importnat then the QUANTITY.

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

I read that you can't even here 1%thd unless you play a 1khz sine wave or somehting like that. And I am SURE the outlaw will be better sounding. I also heard that Outlaw will have a new reciver soon.

(If they do, I wonder how long the shipping will take..)cwm12.gif

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

quote:

Originally posted by matthew2:

You should run your DVD, VCR ect directly to the reciever. I find in my bedroom, the DVD player ounds bad (VERY BAD) when using the line outs from the TV.

I dont run the dvd to the tv.

The dvd has a reg rca output and i hook that up the tv using video 3 and i hook up the optical digital output to the receiver...

Outlaw has a very sound customer service record. I personally know 2 people that have made purchases.

I have purchased from Audio Advisor, Better Cables and Adire Audio online in the past 3 years.

Subwoofer from Adire was delayed in shipping but they shipped for free due to the delay and sent me a CD of piano music that sounds really nice as a bonus.

Internet purchases can save money and provide excellent service.