Quick question about Reference set up...

matthew23

Hey everyone, I am new here so go easy!! I have a yamaha HTR-5063 receiver (7.1) and right now my rectangular family/media room is pre-wired for speakers (two in front, two in back (on ceiling). I initially bought a set of Quintet (latest model) and installed two in front on wall above TV, two in the rear on the ceiling (mounted hanging down), pointing towards the media center). I had (still have) the quintet center and a Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 Subwoofer. I previously ordered two additional Quintet bookshlef speakers hoping to try a 7.1 sound system, but wth the way the room is configured it really did not work with wiring, etc.

I recently decided to upgrade from the Quintet series to some Reference line bookshelf speaks. I ordered (and pick up today) a pair of RB-51 II Reference Series Bookshelf speakers for the front left and rights to replace the existing Quintets (will not be mounted, just placed on my 8 foot console under my mounted 51" TV). I also ordered a Klipsch RC-42 II Reference Series Center to replace the Quintet center.

So my set up, for now, will be:

RB-51 II Reference Series Bookshelf speakers for FL and FR

the Klipsch RC-42 II for the center,

I'll stick with my Synergy SUB-10 for the sub for now

and two of the Quintets mounted on the ceiling for my RL and RR surround speakers.

My question is, will this system sound good? I know the primary speakers in the set up will be the RB-51 II's and the RC-42 II center and secondarily the Synergy SUB-10 for the sub. First, will I have any trouble with the fact that the RB-51 II's will be "bigger" and more powerful than the RC-42 II center? Will I get a good match (seeing that they are in the same line of speakers)? Any foreseeable timbre issues? Any particular setting you recommend given the size difference?

Second, will my Syneryy sub "blend" in okay with the Reference set up I have? I have heard that subs can be mixed and matched (of course it is probably better to stick with one line consistantly, but I have what I have...)

Lastly, I know the Quintets in the rear are a lot smaller and less powerful than the rest of the set up but I plan on cranking them up to get the most out of them until I can afford to upgrade.

I would eventually like to get some Reference series floorstanding speakers for the front and move the RB-51 to the rear (mounted).

Any suggestions, thoughts, issues, and especially receiver settings to make sure everything plays and sounds nice togetehr/

TIA!!!

Matt (the Klipsch-lover but extreme newb!!!)

• Moderators

Welcome, your doing good, don't worry.

I think you will be fine for now, just let the receiver set where the speakers volumes compared to each other are set. It's important, that way the correct volume will come out of each particular speaker the way which what you playing is intended to be heard.

Like you said later you may want to change out the sub and get the floorstanders like you said. But for now just get it set up correctly, I think you will notice a big difference.

Play around with the different settings to find what sounds best to you, and have fun.[Y]

Others can give different advice and ideas. [Y]

Well matt you made the right choice in upgrading the L,C,R first (I have recently upgraded as well). I think the surrounds would be the last priority. Im sure they will sound ok though not as dynamic or powerful as the new L,C,R. I would suggest upgrading the sub next. Anytime a home is prewired with wire it usually isnt the best option as the wire is not the best or thickest gauge and a lot of breaking and re connecting wire is not the best for sound quality. Are you able to mount the quintets on the sides of walls or stands rather than on the ceiling? The next thing Id suggest is the Sub a reference sub will be a great way to add some punch to the room. I also started with a synergy sub. Well to be fair it was a KW100 then a Synergy 12 at the time. Since then I have gone a little bonkers over the years and now run 4 THX ultra2 KW120s.

Congrats on the new Reference speakers. As Obi Wan Kenobi would say.

youve taken your first step into a larger world

Thanks guys for your responses. I am glad you verify that upgrading the L, R and center were most important first. I do want to get a new sub but my wife will kill me. I did notice that newegg is having a sale on the reference 12" sub for $299. I want to pull the trigger but I am hopeful sales like that come around often, expecially on Newegg or that I will be able to find a used one when I am ready.

Then, I will worry about the rears. As far as their mounting situation, the wire does in fact come out of the ceiling for the rears. The builder did not know what he was doing, only did it as a selling pont, I am sure. In fact, they sit pretty far back in prportion to the room and the quintets are definately not ideal for the room's set up. It would be difficult to re-wire or move their location, especially with my lack of handyman skills (although I did install a new light balest and fixture in our laundry room a few days ago, so kudos to me :)

But you do think I will notice a difference? What about the Reference bookshelf speakers over the Synergy line of bookshelf speakers (same size)? Is there a noticable difference between those two lines of speakers??

Hi Matt,

I had the F-2 towers along with the b-3 bookshelves, and was happy as a clam. I think they sounded great compared to what I owned previously.

I had the chance to upgrade to some reference speakers and can certainly tell the difference. I think you made a good decision, and will also notice more "presence ". Although in my opinion the synergy's are still pretty nice, but starting with the reference line is economically a smart move.

I bet you get a smile on your face when you get everything hooked up.

have fun,

Mark

Yes there is a substantial difference with the two lines. Especially when powered by the right amp the Reference series is astounding for both musical and Home Theater Qualities. I used reference for years and just recently moved to their THX line but I would highly recommend them to anyone. Also I would recommend the reference sub. As big as a Klipsch fan as I am there are also much better subs to look at than Klipsch until you get to their higher end subs IMO. Their older RWS Series and 15 subs were fantastic. If you could find a RSW 10d with a passive radiator rear id nab one of those. Not sure how much they run for but if you step into a well set up Reference theater room or someones home with reference speakers you will laugh at the synergy line

Matt, it is probably worthwhile to hold off on a sub for now. First, to soften up the wife. Second, to save the ducats for a good sub. You can always turn the volume down on a good sub, but you can't turn the quality up on a cheap sub. Avoid misspent funds, and get one you won't regret.

Michael, I wouldn't bag on Klipsch subs too much. Your subs in particular are friggin' awesome, if not the greatest value out there. You went with the 650 THX mains, didn't you?

o no no no I wasnt bagging on the klipsch subs. Im a klipsch nut all the way heh. I was just saying with my experience (a short listen to the RW12d I wasnt impressed) but the RSW series I liked a lot and id love to listen to their newer subs in the RF7ii line. And to be fair I never liked my RT-12d for some reason. I upgraded to the THX subs after listening to the SVS Ultra 13 dual set up and with 4 KW-120s they are hard to beat. So all in all im a Klipsch sub fan just not the RW-12d or RT-12d.

I did go with some KL-650s and KL-525s. I sold my 83s and 64 this week and Im trying to sell myRB81s. My particular room has an angled wall about 2 feet of it that runs the length of the room 23 wide and I dropped my Elite 70 down a few inches to make room. I thought have the 3 KL-650s on the angled ceiling just above the 70 would make for a more theater/cinema like look and sound though I loved my 83s. Im going to mount flush on the wall on the very ends of the 23 wide room the kl-525s as Width speakers. Should look really nice with all THX speakers. Dont know if Ill swap out my RS62 surrounds though Im pretty content with them as surrounds. Not sure if you saw pics of the room the New THX speakers will be placed but Ill post it to see what you think.

Still waiting on the 3 KL-650s and 2 KL-525s to come in prob will be another week but in the mean time I have mounted 8 ATS Acoustic panels and 2 ATS bass traps in the rear of the theater not show in the pic so I been busy playing lol.