Klipsch Dilemma

RayCanales

I currently have a pair of KLF 30 that are great speakers but the chance has come to pick up a pair of 1985 Klipsch Belle everyone I talk to says go for it and Im going to and believe me Im running to them.

here is the question people say to buy a tube amp for the belles I currently have a B&K Reference 3220 and a B&K ST1400II driving a pair of RB5 for Rear channel will I notice any improvement given the solid state amp I like to play my music loud LOUD LOUD

and what is the correct placement for Belles

room is 25 X 20 they are going on the 20' side of the room.

thanks

rc, i have one of the newer b&k amps & from this & all others i've heard, b&k are smooth, warm amps. especially great w/ my klf & cornwalls. iow, great amps for klipsch as far as ss anyway. jmo

depends on your ears as to the 30s vs the belles, but that's another matter. i'd run & not look back. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Oh boy -- here we ago again.

B&K makes great MOSFET amps and B&K will sound just dandy with those Belles.

They would sound better with tubes however.

It takes a while to get a grip on this 'loudness' thing.

The Belle, with a sensitivity of 103db/watt will get pretty darn loud with 15 tube watts or less.

01 watt = 103db

10 watts = 113db

20 watts = 116db

40 watts = Pain

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

Get the Belles - worry about the amplification later.

They will play fine with your current setup, but as Dean says you will experience another level of listening if and when you eventually get tubes.

One thing - I think the Belles will have less bass than the KLF30's. From memory they go down to 45 Hz.

If it is a problem for you then you may need to look at a sub as well. SVS are a popular choice and I find the REL Strata 3 a good match for the Heritage sound - may be a bit small for the Belles though - I run mine with Heresy's.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Do get the Belle's. Then use your existing pre and amp, experiment with placement to get them where they sound best. If you have friends with tube gear, borrow or have them bring them over for a listening session.

You can always get tube gear later if you feel the need. But Belle's in good condition and especially at a great price, don't come along too often.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Correct placement for Belles is the same as correct placement for MOST ANY speakers. Corners, if at all possible...you can move them out from the corners different distances to see exactly where they perform best for your particular listening environment....but corners give the best overall area coverage and enhance the performance of most any speaker. PWK wrote numerous times about the advantages of corner placement of speakers...

PWK also said on numerous occasions: "...All you really need with a Klipschorn is one good clean watt!!" This pretty much covers the Belle too! With extremely efficient horn-loaded speakers, you just don't NEED much power...but please don't EXCEED the "continuous power" rating for ANY of the "heritage" series speakers...you will just be asking for trouble somewhere down the line!! In the case of these efficient speakers and wattage, more IS NOT always better!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I use to have a B&K AV5000II running my Cornwalls and the sound was wonderful. Especially at low listening levels. I was more then happy. However, for 5 channel listeing the AV5000II didn't have enough oomph. I swaped out my B&K for a Sherbourn monoblock amplifier. I didn't notice a huge difference in 2 channel listening but for 5 channel stuff I could hear sounds coming out of my rears that I couldn't hear with the B&K. For your application you will be more then fine. Tube amps run hot and require a lot of matienance so there are pluses and minuses to both. I prefer solid state equipment but haven't really listened to a lot of tube stuff either