LaScala Construction Info

Deang

I sent several people within Klipsch an email asking some pointed questions about the LaScala due to my interest in them of late.

My e-mail was forwarded to the engineer responsible for the re-voicing of the new LaScala since the introduction of the new components.

I usually don't share private correspondence with individuals out of respect for their privacy and as an aid to keeping the lines of communication open in the event I feel the need to ask another barrage of strange questions. In other words, I want them to feel they can say anything they want and not worry that it is going to come back and bite them in the rear.

But this time I just couldn't help myself cwm35.gif

"Dean: Thanks for your interest in the La Scalas...there is no MDF used in the La Scalas, just Birch ply. What text did you read that stated there was MDF used in their construction? The bad news is the price increase that Jim refered to took place in May so current MSRP is $4000.00 pr without the optional top grille.

The Good news is the new drivers are very similar to the previous ones, they just have slightly different response curves which mandated a new network. The tweeter is basically the same design with parts and assembly now being handled by a different source. The midrange compression driver is a similar type but is a different design from a different supplier (if all that makes any sense).

Since we were doing a new network we took the opportunity to refine the voicing to give a more balanced presentation tonally. The La Scala is actually the least changed of the three fully horn loaded Heritage models with a more modest improvement/change from the previous version. The Belle is noticably improvedk and the Klipschorn is transformed! To answer your question about the new version being as good as the previous, the answer is it's improved.

The other technical changes to the La Scala are the elimination of the old screw type barrier strip, used for attaching the speaker wire, to the use of two pairs of five way binding posts. This facilitates bi-wiring and connection using spade lugs or banana plugs. We also updated the mounting of the tweeter, from being mounted on the back of the baffle and firing through 3/4" hole, to the "Z" bracket system used on the Klipschorn. This method flushes the front of the tweeter with the front of the baffle to reduce diffraction effects at high frequencies. We then dialed in a phase/time compensation for this in the new network since the tweeter diaphragm position was now moved 3/4" forward relative to the plane of the midrange driver diaphragm.

No one can give you a complete answer to the question "Which one sounds better?" -- but you, it's very subjective. The RF 7's are, as mentioned, more extended and probably more accurate (flatter response), and image and soundstage better. The La Scala's are two dB more sensitive which will translate into slightly more effortless dynamics. With the lower half of the mids and all of the bass coming out of horns, lower distortion at high playback levels can be expected. Tonally the La Scala is slightly warmer in the mids and has a punchier, though less extended bass. I hope this helps you with you decision."

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF-Sevens f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-19-2002 at 12:30 AM

Lemme see....$4,000 for a new pair of LaScalas or....

$2,000 (or less)for a pair of older K-horns in excellent condition and another $1,500 (or less) for an older pair of LaScalas(that will match the K-horns in timbre) for the rear...with $500 (or more) left for a tube amp......

Decisions, Decisions!!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-20-2002 at 09:13 PM

When you look at it that way it's really a no-brainer.

Give me vintage K-horns. I was in the running for those 1954 K-horns on eBay last week -- I just didn't say anything. I offered $2350 plus my Marantz DV-7010.

I think taking those LaScalas from $2800 to $4000 is a ridiculous price increase.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Psalm 122:6f>c>s>

Dean,

I think you really need to hear a pair of La Scala's hooked up to tube amplification. I heard my pair hooked up to Colin's 3.5w Paramours and was very impressed. We were only 7 feet away and they were only 5 feet apart and they were breathtaking! We were running them at about 100db continuous with 110db peaks. During our A/B comparison with the Cornwall, it was a no-brainer. The La Scala was more dynamic, lifelike, had better separation around the instruments and vocals, and sounded cleaner. I think you will get the same opinion from Q-Man and Colin, who also happened to be listening.

Do they sound twice as good as the RF-7's? Probably not but they definitely sound better. Bear in mind, I only paid $860 for these. How much were the RF-7's? I think you need to find someone in your local area that has a pair and then compare for yourself. Personally, I think once you hear them, there will be no stopping you from getting them. Colin's looking for a pair right now. Smile.gif

Mike