PEQ question...

Coytee

Pardon that I might not understand the qustion well enough to ask....

If you are messing with several PEQ's on a single channel, my interpretation of the visual graph that I see (in the RACE program) is that changes in the Q make changes up and down the spectrum, in addition to the specific frequency being changed.

So, regarding the Danley subs, they have these PEQ's

PEQ
-4.6dB @ 29Hz, Q=5

PEQ -8.4dB @ 55Hz, Q=8.9

PEQ -7.5dB @ 84Hz, Q=2.8
PEQ -14.4dB @ 154Hz, Q=1.1

Here's the gist of my question.

If I intend to cross to them at 40hz, can I simply erase the two PEQ's that are above 40 Hz or, should I go ahead and use them under the thought that they are still affecting the curve a tiny bit and simply allow the crossover to ignore them but perhaps not their subtle effect?

I would expect the PEQ's at 84 and 154 to be so far out of range that they'd be of zero concern. I guess I'm asking more about the one at 55hz

If I intend to cross to them at 40hz, can I simply erase the two PEQ's that are above 40 Hz or, should I go ahead and use them under the thought that they are still affecting the curve a tiny bit and simply allow the crossover to ignore them but perhaps not their subtle effect?

Go with the latter. You should be keeping them.

I would expect the PEQ's at 84 and 154 to be so far out of range that they'd be of zero concern.

That's not the case. The low pass filter cutoff frequency does not solely determine where the acoustic crossover actually happens. That and a Q of 1.1 is pretty wide...still affecting 1.2 octaves below the center freq.

P.S. - I presume these are settings for the DTS-10?

Yes, for the DTS-10 (for a pair)

Thanks for the input. The active I use on the Danley's is currently out on loan so the monsters are quiet... (not that they're barking too loud in this apartment to begin with [;)] )

Prior to sending out the Dx, I simply used the PEQ at 29hz and ignored the others. My logic was if it was below the crossover, why bother?

I've been doodling around with the software only, as I don't have the actual units, for the active Ashley unit as well as the Sabine unit. It was while doodling around with those that I actually started to pay attention to what I was seeing represented before me on the graph and made me wonder about this.

The lightbulb in my head is sometimes slow to glow [:D]

To be clear; the PEQ for the Danleys should only be applied to the channels that feed the Danleys. In other words, the Danley PEQ should come after the crossover, not before it. Otherwise you are applying the Danley PEQ to the main speakers -- not good.

Richard, looking at those settings you have shown I would definitely keep them. One issue with these high efficiency subs is that you can't kill them easily above their crossover frequency (when crossing in their sweetspot).

For instance, for my 684 subs I had to use a LR 48db slope crossover filter because the standard LR 24db slope filter would barely even attenuate them. The only way to know this is to take measurements, which I did and could clearly see this happening. Most probobaly don't even realize the sub is still plyaing way above its intended frequencies when they use a standard crossover setting.

So for the Danley's I would use everything they give you to knock them back. You are probably going to need a 48db crossover slope which is probably even more important than the PEQ above 40Hz.......but I'd still use them too.

To be clear; the PEQ for the Danleys should only be applied to the channels that feed the Danleys. In other words, the Danley PEQ should come after the crossover, not before it. Otherwise you are applying the Danley PEQ to the main speakers -- not good.

Yes, I was aware.

I have two Dx38's and take the parallel output of the primary unit (which is feeding the Jubilee's) into the second Dx and that unit is currently dedicated to only the Danley's.

I might swap around and use a single Dx per channel... meaning a single Dx would run the Jubilee bass bin, K402 and the Danley as a 3-way type speaker and I'd have a single output remaining unused on each Dx. As it is, the Dx plugged into the Danley's has two open outputs since I have the two Danley's on the other two channels.

That's what I get to do in my spare time....fret with the details.... [;)]

The only way to know this is to take measurements, which I did and could clearly see this happening. Most probobaly don't even realize the sub is still plyaing way above its intended frequencies when they use a standard crossover setting.

[Y] Wasn't until I bought my first SPL meter and used it in combination with a good multimeter that I could finally put theory into practice. That's when things really started taking off sound-wise. Acquiring a menu-based DSP proved very insightful indeed.

Quality, repeatable sound. [8]

Only took me 8 years...[:$]

Coytee,

Please keep in mind what the PEQ values you are using are intended for. They were put forth by Danley to mostly flatten the FR at the MOUTH of the DTS-10. They can be a good start but should not be used as the only correction. With any sub (or low freq speaker) the room plays a huge part in the actual response at the listening position. In fact many users don't even bother with those settings. They use a calibrated mic at the LP and RTA program such as REW and develop their corrections based on those results.

If you don't already have it I strongly suggest that you get REW and a calibrated mic, or some other such system. Otherwise you are 'flying blind'.

Great sub, isn't it? We've had ours quite a while and it plays wonderfully with our two old Khorns.

Cheers,

Rod