KLF-30 woofer question

Greg_M

While looking up info about KLF-30s, I ran in to a comment about the failure rate of the KLF-30 woofers. Can't remember where I saw it, it might have been here somewhere. The suggestion was that there is a high rate of failures and I was wondering if anyone has found a suitable replacement for those woofers. I would think that to make the enclosure porting/tuning work properly, the replacement would have to be pretty similar to the original. Is my thinking correct?

Has a suitable replacement been found?

Hate to go to the work of finding and paying for speakers only to have one fail and not be able to fix it

Thanks

I think the comments about the failure rate are suspect.

Anyhow, Klipsch does have a new vendor for these drivers (same specs etc ). Going to an off-brand is difficult. There are not many woofers out there with a sufficiently low Qts and VAS etc

My advice is do not worry about it and if they do go bad (unlikely) then get replacements from Klipsch. I have 6 of these woofers and I have not had a problem.

The first pair of 30's that I bought (used) every woofer was bad except one. I bought four new ones from Klipsch and have not had a problem. I power them with some very powerful amps and lay into them pretty good from time to time but the amp gains are only at 10:00. Using these amps with the gains turned up past 1 or 2 o'clock I could see possibly doing some damage. Or on the flipside....underpowering them.....which is what I suspect the previous owner was doing.....cranking them with a wimpy amp. [:^)]

I think the comments about the failure rate are suspect.

I made a comment about that in another thread because I feel for people that are having issues with that woofer. Just from three of us here on the forum which is myself, SWL and a mutual friend Mike we had 9 out of 12 woofers that were bad in our KLF 30's. That is just to name a few of us that have had issues. Seems like unless someone buys off of one of us Klipsch members they are buying KLF 30's with bad woofers.

I got a replacement from Klipsch and had to send it back because it was bad from the factory.

There is a problem somewhere but hopefully it gets worked out.