What finish on Cornwall III models?

Boomzilla

I just scored a pair of Cornwall IIIs, but the veneer has corner damage and some scratches that I'll have to repair. My question is: What finish is Klipsch using now on their Heritage speakers? It used to be either paint or tung oil, but today, might it be polyurethane or something else?

It will be critical once I've repaired the veneer to "finish it into" the existing finish. A misstep just makes a bigger mess. I can test several finishes on inconspicuous areas of the speaker, but if one of youse guys KNOWS (as opposed to guessing) it would be very helpful.

Thanks - Boomzilla

THANK YOU for the pictures! The photos bother me some, though:

The guy in the paint-spray booth needs eye protection and a respirator

The paint spray booth is an NFPA Class-1, Division-1 classified area, and I think that I see a draped extension cord in the background

If this is so, then the employee is at risk for toxic vapor inhalation and potential fire/explosion.

How long ago were those photos made? I hope the hazards have been abated since then?

As to the speakers, it was a fascinating look at the construction process. My Cornwalls haven't arrived yet, and probably won't until the end of next week. I bought them on eBay and the photos looked like one of the cabinets had been dropped on one of the upper edges.

Unless I'm mistaken, the construction material seems to be veneered particle board and no longer plywood? I'm sure that the fit is sufficient for structural integrity, but I must wonder about the longevity of the speakers (particularly if exposed to heat & humidity), I guess they can't be worse than anyone else's speakers because 99%+ of the speakers on the market are constructed of the same material...

Boomzilla

• Moderators

I don't know about that stuff, I know I was in there before and there is enough air going through there that you couldn't even smell what was being sprayed, I don't know how you could even paint in there with that much air being sucked out. But I have no idea really.

I think most companies went to MDF as much for sound as anything else, I have some speakers from the mid 80's in MDF and they are fine and for a long time they were not in AC, in the humidity we have in New Orleans which is pretty bad. I have some with plywood from the mid 70's which have a tiny bit of separation BUT they are PRO models which could have been subjected to some outdoors for all I know ?

I have built many things with both, the MDF cuts easier and cleaner and if painted of finished on all sides exposed holds up very well in damp areas much to my surprise. I would rather use hardwood plywood myself, I usually glue and screw where possible and I don't feel comfortable screwing into MDF. But to be honest I have glued MDF together just to test how strong the joints were (it was for a sub) . I smashed it and nothing broke on a seam which made me feel a little better, considering I tend to overbuild things.

OK - The Cornwalls I'm getting are in "cherry" finish. Assuming that I might want to darken the finish some to better match my room, can I just sponge on some stain? Is there a clear-coat over the factory stain that would prevent this from working? Has ANYONE tried to refinish the II or III series speakers?

• Moderators

Yes there is a clear coat of some kind. Unless they changed from when they first came out with the Cornwall lll clear was the only choice. Black, Walnut and cherry with clear, maby some one will answer that knows, I would think you would have to sand off the clear ?

• 2 weeks later...

if I were you , with a new pair of Cornwall III - I would call klipsch and ask them the question - take your time - the guys will most definitely help you - but you have to ask them - maybe you can send an email to Trey Cannon on this forum - as he is part of the factory - good luck -