doesn't anyone know about this speaker?

eccosjj

Thank you upstairs buddy, actually I don't care where the port is on this speaker, I just need anyone can provide a reference or short introduction on the internet about this speaker, so that I can know this speaker is an official product, not the fake or DIY thing.

Why don't you send the photos you have to Klipsch service and they can likely help you out. Klipsch have in the past done models for sale to the military abroad and these may well be one of those as they look to be the real thing. Do you mind if I ask what your interest is? You might care where the port is if you were going to mount the speakers small closed cabinete or on a wall. In those situations rear vents are problematic. I think that people are attempting to be of assistance here. Everything that you need to know about these speakerrs is available on the Klipsch site, go no further. You might post your photos asking if anyone here owns a similar set and ask for their impressions. What is it it that you are looking to find out about if we assume they are real Klipsch which they look to be? Best regards Moray James.

James, thanks for replying my post in very detail, let me tell you the story, i need a speakers to be the surround speaker in my home theater, and one day i went to a friend of my's house and found this speaker, my friend is not a speaker fan and doesn't know about the speakers,and he likes to sale them to me in a very good price.I want to get it because it is a very good deal, but i can not find any reference about it on the internet, so I'm worry it is a fake or diy, I can not tell you which country i am but i can tell you there are a lot of fake thing here.

Well while the do not look exactly like the factory photos of the RE81 I have seen they do look factory to me they don't have the apearance of cheap coppies in any way. So if the price was very good as you say and you like the sound what have you to be concerned about? Just remember that if you are mounting them on a wall you need to provide about the same distance away from the wall as the actual length of the vent, half as much more would be ideal but equal length is good. Send your email and pictures to the Klipsch service department tomorrow they should respond to you and verify if these are factory products. Welcome to the forum by the way. What about the rest of your surround system? Best regards Moray James.

Dont rush if you friend is real he will ket you have the time to look and confirm if not get a new friend.

I jst spent some time looking for images which match your speaker but could not find any which did. If they are a copy they are a quality copy at least as far as the cabinet goes. Check out the serial number send a cleared picture of the lable on the back to klipsch they will tell you. You might also pull out the rear terminal cup and see what the crssover looks like and if it is printed with the Klipsch name. Look to see if you can see Klipsch stamped on the drivers also. Like I said if your friend does not want you to have the time to check these out then he is no friend. Good luck keep us posted. Best regards Moray James.

Hello James, I got the feedback from Klipsch, and here is part of email:

It was the first generation RB-81 book shelf speakers. This has since been replaced with the second generation RB-81 model. However, this model is no longer available in cherry.

Seems like the speaker is the official product, but I still think there should be a reference on the internet no matter how old this speaker is.

what do you think? Maybe I'm being stubborn, I've sent the email to Klipsch again to ask for the spec of this speaker.

I would take it from their response that you do in fact have the real deal original Klipsch RB81 and that it will atch the specification of the version posted on their sire it differs in cosmetics and the cact that the vent in on the rear which with a speaker like this the best place for a vent. That is not to say that rear vent placement is always easy to deal with. As previously stated you will have to provide room for the vent to breath and a minimun of on vent length woud be a good rule and 1.5 times better. You are being stubborn you have all you need so buy them and enjoy them. Know that you can consider thes as an equal to any other RB81 short of the vent position. That means respinse dispersion and output.. It seems to me that I do remember seeing these in a Klipsch dealership when they came out and some time later the next verasion I was offered these at a discount as the new version had vome out. I ended up buying the RB61. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

eccosjj: you have the specs for them right now. Klipsch is not a company who change things without very good reason and they done do so lightly or often. The following specs are for an RB81 and even though it is a slightly different version the basic performance figures will hold true, if there ar differences they will not be worh arguing about. Companies dont get much better than Klisc. I have great respect for both the company and the people who make up that company.

The only specs andd or reviews which matter for anything are yours and yours alone. If the speakers sound good and you like them buy them if they don't well you know what to do then too. I have been envolved with Klipsch as a customer of out of production products (for the most part) for almost three years. These people are incredible they make you feel like you are an importan and valued customer and they make you feel kie family. That is a very rare thing for a business to do these days. I like that and that is what keeps me here. I think that with some time you will find that you can enjoy a relationship with a company which you respect and trust. It is a simple yet marvelous concept and the people at Klipsch make that happen every day. Best regards Moray James.

SPECIFICATIONS RB81

• BUILT FROM:

• DEPTH:
    12.25" (31.1cm)

• ENCLOSURE TYPE:
    Bass-reflex via front-firing port

• FINISHES:
    Cherry or Black Ash woodgrain vinyl

• FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    46Hz-23kHz +/-3dB

• HEIGHT:
    19" (48.3cm)

• HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER:
    1800Hz

• HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS:
    1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm
    compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix Horn

• LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS:
    8" (20.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofer

• MOUNTING:
    Bottom mount: Dual 1/4"-20 threaded
    inserts for stand attachment

• NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms compatible

• POWER HANDLING:
    150W RMS / 600W Peak

• SENSITIVITY:
    97dB @ 2.83V / 1m

• WEIGHT:
    30lbs (13.6kg)

http://www.avguide.com/review/klipsch-rb-81-speaker

http://www.hometheater.com/content/klipsch-rb-81-speaker-system

http://www.retrevo.com/s/Klipsch-RB-81-Speakers-review-manual/id/11274ag410/t/1-2/

http://www.whathifi.com/review/klipsch-rb-81

http://www.testfreaks.com/hifi-speakers/klipsch-rb-81/

http://www.electronicsme.com/reviews/klipsch-rb-81-review.html

Klipsch's RB-81 specs specify Sensitivity at 97db but the tag on the back of the speaker shows 94db and power handling of 150watts (specs) vs 100watts on the sticker. That suggests there are other changes from this version of the RB-81 and the later incarnation that is shown all over the net. This was likely a crossover product though not in masses such as the Heresy 1.5.