Wright Sounds WPA 3.5

dbflash

Danny,

I was looking at those myself and if I had the money I would have bought them. Just curious but did you have to pay full price? Please let me know how you like them. They are on my shortlist for tube amplification. I am also curious how you will like them with your preamp. BTW, what speakers will you be using with these amps?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Congratulations Danny, weclome to the 2A3 club!

I am sure you are going to like your amp. I have the AE-3 preamp (DJH version) hooked up with a pair of Welborne Labs Moondogs driving my K-horns and I love the combination.

I haven't heard the Wrights but they were what I was looking for when I found the Moondogs and took the plunge.

I am curious as to your speakers and sources also...

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connect Speaker Cable

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

I have heard the Wrights at length and as I have said in the past, they are great little amps. Little is the key word as well since they are extremely diminutive.

And while these amps do not plum the depths quite like the Moondogs, the have an amazing midrange.

I imagine they would do very well with the AE-3 preamp, especially if it was hotrodded up a bit with some better tubes and parts. The Wrights will not be the limiting factor with that pair. Make sure you get the rest of your system up to snuff including source and wire. When you journey into Single-Ended domain, the little things really make a difference, despite what some might believe. What is the rest of your system? The Wrights definitely like an active preamp over a passive but it doesnt have to be enfused with gain. Is your AS-3 stock?

To add something here, my buddy just brought over his Wright Sound WLA-12a preamp with NOS and Hovlands. IT is a very musical preamp as well but lost out on resolution and detail compared to my tricked out Cary unit. But hell, my TKD attenuator almost cost as 3/4 of the Wright! It's a great little preamp for the money and more.

One other note, there is a VERY nice SLP-98 with phono in the neighborhood of 1800 on Audiogon.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-21-2002 at 06:47 AM

The amps should ship today.

A brief little history of what I am using.

I just bought a house in May. The house was built in 1953. The breaker box was a "split" breaker box which they don't make anymore. Everyone told me it was a fire hazard. Half the outlets only had 2 wires with no grounds.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the breaker box and ran a dedicated outlet(3) for my stereo. I think last March I was posting about the Wave 8's I bought with my AES-AE3 pre amp. The system had so much hiss that I really hated it. I could get rid of most of the hiss if I left the cabinet rack door open a couple of inches. I had everything plugged into a power strip. Just hated it.

Well now for the good news.

I installed the dedicated outlets. I built the FLEXY equipment rack. NO HISS dead quite. The old stereo rack will be used for my HT.

The equiptment:

Rega Planet 2000 CD Player. I was going to replace this with a transport and the modded ART DI/O. That's on hold now.

Klipsch HeresyI speakers. I love these speakers. After reading about Mikes Lascala purchase I was trying to find a pair. Either a pair of Cornwalls or Lascala's will be my next purchase, next year.

AES-AE3 Pre amp. I ordered it with Hexfed Diodes, Audio 1 coupling caps (will be changing these out with Jensen),the shut vol control mod,Kimber RCA connector's,shielded power cord, and Jan Phillips 6SN7WGT tubes. Last week I ordered a pair of mid 1960 RCA 6SN7GTB tubes to replace the Jan's.

Between my pre amp and Waves I am using DIY Superlatives. Last week I ordered a pair of Bolder Cable Co. Type 2 Audio IC. I wanted to hear what a ready made pair of the Beldin design sounded like. The DIY were really easy to build. I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up. If they sound the same as the Bolder I would recommend the DIY (Bolder $223 vs DIY $66). Really smooth sound. To me my system sounded bigger after I installed these.

The new amp will be the Wright WPA 3.5. I want to thank Mobile and Edster. They have been talking about this amp for awhile. I really was going to get a pair of Moondogs. I saw the post on Audiogon yesterday for the Wright's. I came back to the Klipsch BB and searched on the Wright's and found a post that Kelly started and Ed seconded. It said if you can get these for less than a thousand jump on it, which I did.

Mike I offered the guy $925 plus shipping and he said yes. I understand about the money part. I have been saving for furniture. I just spent all my money on the amps. A year and half ago I had all Ethan Allen. Now the only thing I have in my living room is the equipment rack, speakers and a couple of CD racks. I bought my chairs at the drug store. They are plastic and stackable. They were on sale for $5.00 each. I was in a good mood so I bought 4 chair's and a matching table.

I will say this, the combo I have now sounds pretty darn good. The Wright's should take it to a new level.

After I get the Wright's into the system, I have all the parts (resistor's and caps) to upgrade the Waves. I may use my Denon amp for the pre and use the Waves to drive my KLF 20's in my HT setup.

I will let you know how they work out. I will be asking about tubes. The amps come with the following tubes:one pair RCA 2A3s, one pair Sovtek 2A3s, one pair of Kenrad 5Y3s, one pair of RCA 5Y3s, and two pairs of 6SN7s.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm pumped.

Danny

Danny,

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you will be real happy with your setup. Let me know how the Wave 8's sound being paired with your Denon. I have a feeling I will be doing the same thing when I get my tube amps. It may take a while before I can afford the proper preamp to go with them, so I would end up driving the La Scala's with the tubes and using my Acurus A200X3 to drive the center and rear Chorus's. I would also be able to use my ICBM to do the bass mgmt for all sources, including Direct 2-channel for CD and turntable use.

Anyway, keep us informed...

Mike

dbflash(Danny),

As another 2A3 onwer, let me say congrats on the Wrights. Who needs furniture when you've got sweet music filling the room. Furniture only soothes your bottom, music soothes the soul. If it's any consolation, I bought my Moondogs with money I was saving to purchase a pickup. There's no doubt in my mind I made the right choice. It seems you also did well in the tube department with RCA 2A3s, which I hope are black plates, as part of the package. I wish you many happy days of listening enjoyment to come.

edster,

I can see you haven't added the Hyacinth interconnects to your system yet. Have you given them a spin? If you have and don't like them, remember that I'm more than willing to take them off your hands at the drop of an email.

Mike,

When do the LaScalas get put to work at your house? You will be forever hooked on horns.

Klipsch out.

2 Channel System

1974 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa PP-1 Phono preamplifier, modified

Rega 3 turntable, RB300 tonearm; Grado

Rega Planet CD player

AudioQuest Bedrock speaker cables

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects

Danny,

I am looking forward to your review of the Wright's. I agree that you did well in the tube department. My favorite 2A3's are some JAN RCA 2A3's, but I also have a pair of Sovtec 2A3's that provide a great sound at a bargain price.

Jazman, the Hyacinth('s) are firmly in place between the 'dogs and whichever of 2 preamps I have hooked up on any given day. I need to update my sig file to reflect what I am using. I'd like to hear some of those Brimar 6SN7's in the AE-3 and/or the Moondogs...

I am also enamored with a Welborne Labe Reveille passive preamp. I switch between the AES AE-3 SuperPreamp (DHJ version) and the passive Reveille quite often. Both are excellent performers in my system (IMHO).

This message has been edited by edster00 on 06-21-2002 at 10:15 PM

Jazman,

Q-Man is currently refinishing my La Scala's for me and should be done in the next couple of weeks. When he is finished, we are going to do a double blind test with the AL crossover in one and an ALK in the other. His son will hook the ALK up so neither one of us will know which speaker has which crossover. I believe Colin is going to drive up for this demo and let us use his Paramour's for the test. Will let you know our findings...

Mike

Testing two different speakers (left vs right) has never been a very enlightening proposition... Not sure what you are going to deduce from it.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Both speakers will be hooked up to the same channel. Granted, they will be in different places within the room, but I think we will be able to deduce which one sounds better. Just like every other change in an audio system, it will be totally subjective. It's no different than changing out interconnects or speaker wire. If you think it sounds better then it does...

Mike