Speaker Placement Experts--need advice for rears (mono/bi/dipoles?)

border411

So I am trying to figure out what kind of speakers I should use as my rears, the traditional monopoles in the rear corners, or bi/dipoles somewhere else. The ceiling is 9' high, and the front mains would be sitting in bookshelves in the front, and the center would be under the TV mounted on the wall, and sitting on the fireplace mantel. The rear left corner is one location I was thinking, where the left wall meets the rear wall. The right corner is actually where the right wall meets a soffit. What kind of speakers would you recommend, and where would you place them? The couch MUST stay were it is against the rear wall. I was told to put something like Klipsch RS42's in the rear corners (if I went with Klipsch speakers), while others have stated that I should just use RB41's. I need some help as all the speaker placement guides give suggestions for when there is room behind the couch.

EDIT:I just looked at the Reference owners manual....it looks like the RS42 would be the best bet, with the rear firing speakers hitting the soffit on the one side, and the rear wall behind the couch (ears are about 2 feet in front of the rear wall) from the other side. It looks like the picture in the manual. Any suggestions, or am I reading it wrong?

Also, does anyone see any issue with running a RC42 and then using RB51's for my mains?

what-kind-of-rears-to-use-monopole-dipolDenCant seem to insert the picture I wanted to...it can be seen here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458980/what-kind-of-rears-to-use-monopole-dipole-etc-and-where-picture-included#post_22983572

Have you already purchased your mains and center?mi would think the rc-52 would be a better match for the RB-51's. I currently have all 4 center channels in my house. I will say each step up is noticable. But 42-52 being the smallest step up. 52-62 is a very big step up and 62-64 is a huge setup even more.

I havent bought anything yet. I can not fit the RC52 into my environment (per the wife that is!). Youthman....I placed a link to a drawing I did showing what I am working with. Sorry it takes you to another forum, but for some reason putting the picture in my thread isnt working.

• Moderators

Would the below placement work for your room? Placing them on the side walls, one on the right wall underneath the soffit and one on the left wall, with both slightly behind the couch? This provides a great enveloping surround because you are getting direct and reflected sound from the speakers.

placement.jpg

Sorry...should have pointed out that the thick black line on the left side are the walls...so essentially where you drew the left surround would be inside my walls! The couch is tucked all the way in the corner, with a full height wall on the left and rear. After the 6' of wall, then it opens in the back to the kitchen.

• Moderators

Sorry...should have pointed out that the thick black line on the left side are the walls...so essentially where you drew the left surround would be inside my walls!

Guess that would bring new meaning to "in-walls" now wouldn't it? [:P]

Since your couch is right up against the back wall, you could mount them on the side walls where I had them on the diagram, just move them from inside the wall up to the back wall (hope that makes sense).

• Moderators

So you are saying mount them on the side walls near the corner with the back wall/soffit?

That is my thought yes. The biggest problem you will face is you really don't have a way to get sound behind your listening position due to the back wall. My thinking is if you can have some sound reflect off the back wall, that might be good. Really, I'm not 100% sure because it's not the ideal situation. You could use a bookshelf speaker on the side wall as well. Not sure which would sound better in your setup though. Regardless, I think the side walls are your best placement because if you mount them to the back wall, they will likely be firing over your head and you won't get the same effect.

stick with RS-42's.

place them 90degrees from your seated position. if you need to, move the couch off the wall a foot or so (if possible). you want the RS-42's on the sides because they are designed to bounce sound off the back wall to simulate a rear speaker. the more you can have them not shoved into a corner, the better. test it out for yourself, move the couch, at first in the middle of the room. place the speakers 90degrees from you. keep moving the couch and speakers toward the rear wall until it sounds the best to you. also, keep in mind the vertical height. once you find where you want the couch/speakers, then hang them maybe 40" (from the bottom of the speaker) to the floor. move them at 6" increments until you "hear" the best results.

have fun.

well then, you are s*****d. lol.

um, well, this is why i am a huge fan of 3.1 or 2.1 set ups. if your room is optimal for surround sound, then just don't do it.

i guess your best choice is put them 90degrees from you or slightly infront of that position. see how it sounds and rock with it. some people hang them from ceilings too. they just have them angled down.