Will they fit? A follow up question from the opera/orchestra guy

JJack

Well, thanks everyone for the great information and response to my opera

/orchestra thread. I have a follow up question.

I have two good corner options in my room. The farthest I can get from a Khorn is exactly 10 feet from the front to my ears. Is that far enough away for the drivers to integrate?

The speakers will be in a 12 by 11 room that is mostly boundaried by a half wall that is 43 inches high. However it is acoustically a very large space because it's 70% open to an 18 by 17 by 40 space (my listening room is a loft overlooking my living room, kitchen, entryway). So, the two horns will be firing over the half wall. Any issues there?

I have a ton of room treatments on the way from GIK to tame any bass issues (the room is actually pretty smooth in the bass, as measured with omnimic measuring tools).

Thanks again everyone, I've got the bug now? Wish I knew why my paragraph breaks aren't working...

Not from my experience. The half wall may be an advantage both in feeding nice sound to the house when appropriate as well as improving image by minimizing reflections.

Heck, if that is the space you have I personally don't see why Klipschorns in the corners would be any different (other than better!) than anything else you might put there.

If you have a problem, blame the space, not the 'horns...

Dave

The farthest I can get from a Khorn is exactly 10 feet from the front to my ears. Is that far enough away for the drivers to integrate?

My experience with Khorns (with ALK ES networks) is they will sound good but in my opinion/experience, the answer is "no". I found that mine sounded much more integrated when I was standing 30' away than when I was in the same room with them (open room with no wall blocking the path to the 30' spot). For the record, the Jubilee's (2-way, signal aligned with active crossover) DO seem to integrate within the first 10' in the same room. So they sound their best while being in the room with the speakers rather than out of the room.

I have no idea if a Khorn with a more shallow crossover slope would integrate better.....but then...would overlapping the drivers create other sonic issues that the extreme slopes cure...I'll let others who know more about that stuff chime in.

All I can say is when I went from My Khorns to the Jubilee's, I discovered over time that the Khorns sounded best at a distance and the Jubilee's gelled their sound much quicker (therefore closer) than the Khorn. My understanding is it's primarily becuase they are 2-way and we're losing that crossover point which makes it happen.